C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Scam question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 11:21 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
Conduct your business in the bank lobby. If you're selling, go to the buyer's bank and have his bank issue you a bank check, transfer the money, or give you cash. If you're buying, go to your bank and have them pay the seller directly. No person-to-person money exchange. Safe, no risk, lots of cameras.
IMHO this is the smartest and safest way. A week ago I bought a car for $24,000. I wired the money from my brokerage account to my credit union. I went down to get a cashier's check and was told I couldn't have the money for 3 days. Why I asked? Wire fraud. I then talked to the branch manager and she released the funds the same day since I was a regular customer.

I bought a car a couple years ago. I opened an account at the seller's bank. I then wired the money from brokerage to bank. They let me transfer the money the same day.

For another car buy a brokerage account person told me wired money is very difficult to reverse, are you sure you want to transfer directly to the seller's account? I went ahead and did it since I had met the seller and seen the car.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:01 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

You are correct, almost impossible to reverse. Thats the reason I make a new account and drain it right away. Just in case someone tries to reverse the transaction or open a fraud account with the numbers you gave them.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:39 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,008 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by leadking
You could not be more wrong. If the check is found fraudulent, it works its' way back through the banking system to the original depositor.
OK, Try this. Write a check to someone, wait for them to cash it then try to stop payment. Let me know how you make out.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:41 PM
63redvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
What's to figure out. He sends you a check, you cash it and wheels go no where until bank says it's OK.
EXACTLY
Old 11-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Craigslist Experiences - the good, the bad & the ugly

I do tons of craigslist sales weekly, mostly small amounts, but I always have item sitting in my driveway with garage doors shut and if they ask to see anything else I tell them I either don't have it or they need to come back so I can drag it out into the driveway, scammers are always looking to see what ya have to come back later & steal…..and they always pay in cash & I tell them to bring exact amount...

ALSO you can google the details but a young lady in Longmont Colorado went to look at some baby clothes and the seller had her come inside, go into the basement to look at them - the WACKO then attacked the expecting young lady and CUT the baby out of her! The young lady survived and the wacko seller is waiting for trial…..never go into someones house as you may not come back out.

There is some sort of scam going to harvest email addresses also - so I just list cell number - if they don't wanna text or call no sale.

PS you can request postal money order - (US POST OFFICE ONLY) take payment to your post office they can verify serial numbers and sender then get cash - what the post office going to do if they screw up - hold your mail?

Whenever I get a long text message accepting my sale and telling me how their sending a shipper - I just send a picture of Clint Eastwood and his Orangutan - Clyde - flipping them the finger.. never get a reply...
Old 11-28-2015, 12:39 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Curious, how often do u come across a scammer Old Vet? And any cautions needed when using PayPal?
Old 11-28-2015, 06:26 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,884 Likes on 792 Posts

Familiar scam.....had that same type message sent to me a few years ago. Dont bite.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:18 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Here is one I got from selling my kids Go-Kart just about a month ago, you read it from bottom up. I am the blue text and the scammer is the red text.

Date: September 11, 2015 at 11:48:01 PM CDT
To: lizzy hughes
Subject: Re: Go-Kart

Not gonna happen. You come get it or I deliver it. No other way.

On Sep 11, 2015, at 4:31 PM, lizzy hughes wrote:

will arrange for the pick up myself once you have funds available with you in your bank account asap
get back to me with your full name and address to where payment will be mail out to*

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 1:20 PM, craigslist 5215265139 wrote:

Where are you located? I might be able to deliver for you.

On Sep 11, 2015, at 1:16 PM, lizzy hughes wrote:

Top of the day and would have really love to come down and pick it up but am currently out of town and my job schedule is time consuming of late.. Would mail you a check and once you have the funds available would arrange for pick up..

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 6:22 PM, craigslist 5215265139 wrote:

Yes it is, let me know if you want to see it.

On Sep 10, 2015, at 1:45 PM, lizzy hughes wrote:

is the item still available for sale...

Original craigslist post:
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/snw/5215265139.html
About craigslist mail:
http://craigslist.org/about/help/email-relay
Please flag unwanted messages (spam, scam, other):
http://craigslist.org/mf/144d04c3c17...363a4fdb686.57