C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Scam question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 02:14 PM
carlisle61
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Scam question

How do these work? I have a set of wheels for sale on Craigslist, and somebody contacted me and said " he wanted to send a check and he would send someone to pick up after check cleared". I just can not figure how this works.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:45 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by carlisle61
How do these work? I have a set of wheels for sale on Craigslist, and somebody contacted me and said " he wanted to send a check and he would send someone to pick up after check cleared". I just can not figure how this works.
They send you a check for more than amount and ask for difference to be returned to them. You send them the overage and their check bounces because it was stolen or fake.

I think a bank has to cash a check within 5 business days but can be returned in 3-4 weeks and they just deduct from your account.

Just put in add MUST PICK UP CASH SALE.

Last edited by Bowtyeguy; 11-22-2015 at 02:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
carlisle61 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 02:49 PM
troutster71
Racer

Location: Albuquerque Resistance is not futile. It's voltage divided by current.
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

. I just can not figure how this works.
No need, just tell them cash only, period. May want to meet them at a neutral location, i.e. not your residence, perhaps the parking lot of a police station.

Be safe, good luck with the sale. Gary
carlisle61 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 02:51 PM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

Or you deposit it, your bank will post to you while they try to clear..... And 10 days later after its bogus, they will reverse your account... Since not backed up - your loss!

Have him send cash with the guy to pick up the wheels... All in $1 bills as nobody that I've heard have counterfeited them yet don't meet them at your house. Local police station parking lot would be my preferred choice for the transaction

All in all, I'd run like Forest Gump on the offer myself
carlisle61 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 03:00 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

do your transaction in police station parking lot? Really? Do you know of any that are not secured anymore? And really, there sure seem to be a lot of sissy men on this forum.
I can understand not falling for the check or western union in advance flimflam, but once past that and you get a real buyer, do ya'll really think it is that dangerous out in CL land? I've done many transactions as buyer and seller. Everything from cars including vettes, to appliances to antiques. Maybe I have just been lucky. Nobody has tried to roll me yet. Man up people.
carlisle61 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 03:03 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
do your transaction in police station parking lot? Really? Do you know of any that are not secured anymore? And really, there sure seem to be a lot of sissy men on this forum.
I can understand not falling for the check or western union in advance flimflam, but once past that and you get a real buyer, do ya'll really think it is that dangerous out in CL land? I've done many transactions as buyer and seller. Everything from cars including vettes, to appliances to antiques. Maybe I have just been lucky. Nobody has tried to roll me yet. Man up people.
I have also done many person to person craigslist sales at my homes.

The only difference is that I didn't consider a gage of manliness, or feel the need to insult others about it. There are many more gages of toughness that craigslist.

YMMV.

Last edited by Easy Rhino; 11-22-2015 at 03:04 PM.
carlisle61 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 04:14 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

I don't think it's a matter of "toughness" but more just a matter of being cautious and smart.

If the guy's going to send somebody to pick up the wheels (after the check clears), then it's pretty darn easy to have the same fella bring the cash with them, just as MAD IN NC suggested.

Also, I do prefer to meet people in person, but more often than not at a location away from my house. I just really don't want a stranger snooping around my place.

I'll usually do a transaction at the local Starbucks, or if it's a lot of money, I just have them meet me at the bank where we can walk the money in for a direct deposit. And of course the bank can run their markers on the bill(s) for me.

Unfortunately, this is what it's come down to with society. There is just too many criminals and scam artists. Just a little precaution cut's down on the percentage of becoming a victim.

Pat
Old 11-22-2015, 05:52 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

What's to figure out. He sends you a check, you cash it and wheels go no where until bank says it's OK.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:01 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

FWIW Once a check has cleared your bank it cannot be reversed.
The writer of a check can stop payment only if the check hasnt cleared yet.
Call your bank and ask them to explain this to you in detail.
Once cleared, the funds are in your account and it is your money.
Paypal payments however CAN be reversed.
I use CL as a buyer and seller and never really had any problems.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:30 PM
BD104X
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by phil2302
FWIW Once a check has cleared your bank it cannot be reversed. The writer of a check can stop payment only if the check hasnt cleared yet. Call your bank and ask them to explain this to you in detail. Once cleared, the funds are in your account and it is your money. Paypal payments however CAN be reversed. I use CL as a buyer and seller and never really had any problems.
In the case of a fraudulent check, you will be on the hook for the money.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:47 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BD104X
In the case of a fraudulent check, you will be on the hook for the money.
Only if you deposit the fake check and spend the money before it has fully cleared which BTW is very unlikely because most banks do not make the money available to you until the check in question has completely been cleared and validated.
You have to a complete doofus to be taken by a bogus check these days.
The process of clearing checks involves moving money from the check writer’s account to your account.
Once this process is complete, you know you can spend the money and it cannot bereversed.
ASK YOUR BANK.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

If I send you a fake check for 500 bucks and you have 2000 bucks in your account they will let you take the 500 on the spot. In 2-15 days when the bank finds out its a bad check they will deduct the 500 and now you will have 1500. They will allow you to take cash out as long as you have money to cover.

If you have 500 in bank and want to cash my fake check for 500 then all banks have different amounts they will let you take out, maybe 200 tops. You are on the hook.

There is never going to be anyone coming to pick up the wheels. Its the over payment money they want.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:03 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
If I send you a fake check for 500 bucks and you have 2000 bucks in your account they will let you take the 500 on the spot. In 2-15 days when the bank finds out its a bad check they will deduct the 500 and now you will have 1500. They will allow you to take cash out as long as you have money to cover.

If you have 500 in bank and want to cash my fake check for 500 then all banks have different amounts they will let you take out, maybe 200 tops. You are on the hook.

There is never going to be anyone coming to pick up the wheels. Its the over payment money they want.
You dont get it.
OK so............
If you have $2000 in your account and deposit a $500 check try withdrawing $2500 right then and tell me what happens.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

They wont give you 2500 I get it believe me. Google what a bank will let you take on a uncleared check. Check your bank statement and it will say FUNDS AVAILABLE OR FUNDS PENDING
Old 11-22-2015, 08:17 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
They wont give you 2500 I get it believe me. Google what a bank will let you take on a uncleared check. Check your bank statement and it will say FUNDS AVAILABLE OR FUNDS PENDING
So you agree that having full understanding of how the system works you would have to be a numb skull to be taken by a rubber check?
Old 11-22-2015, 09:35 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Wow, this thread is rather timely. Say someone wants PayPal but to and AOL email address. Cant that email address be scammed too? Cant that be a setup address and he takes the money and run?

PayPal guarantee legitimate account for email address?
Old 11-22-2015, 11:34 PM
troutster71
Racer

Location: Albuquerque Resistance is not futile. It's voltage divided by current.
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
And really, there sure seem to be a lot of sissy men on this forum.
WOW!.........Guess I need to go edit my profile.

Oh, and by the way, the police parking lot info was from my local PD!

Cheers! GA

Get notified of new replies

To Scam question

Old 11-23-2015, 03:22 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

What could possibly got wrong answering a Craigslist ad?

Suspect Charged With Murder in Craigslist Car Case After Missing Couple Found

A suspect was charged with murder today after authorities positively identified the bodies of a Georgia couple who vanished last week while going to meet someone to buy a vintage car they found on Craigslist.

Bud Runion, 69, and his wife, June, 66, disappeared Thursday, authorities said. The pair had posted an ad seeking to buy a vintage 1966 Ford Mustang convertible. Relatives said the Mustang was the couple’s dream car, one they’d wanted to buy since they were married decades ago.

The suspect, Ronnie “Jay” Towns, 28, the owner of the phone that last communicated with the Runions' phone, turned himself in yesterday and was charged with murder and robbery today, the Telfair County Sheriff's office said. Towns was initially charged with giving false statements and criminal attempt to commit theft by deception.

The couple's 2003 GMC Envoy was found submerged in a lake, the Sheriff's Office said on its Facebook page without revealing the lake's location. The bodies were found at another location not far away, officials said. The Runions were both shot in the head, ABC affiliate WSB-TV reported.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/bodies-vehi...ry?id=28526184
Old 11-23-2015, 08:00 AM
tubman
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't have a problem with personal checks. The must be for the exact amount, with the understanding that the item will not be released until after my bank tells me that the check has cleared completely. Banks work much faster today than they used to. Waiting for the check to clear is a price you pay for using personal checks. As a matter of fact, using this scenario is much more risky for the guy sending the check. What do you do if he refuses to release the item after the check has cleared? I believe a case could be made for "Theft by Check" if you included a good description (or serial #) in the checks memo line, but I have no legal training.

Of course, anyone wanting to send a check for more that the amount and wanting the difference refunded has got to be one of the most obvious signs of a scam and shouldn't be considered.

Last edited by tubman; 11-23-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:24 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

The best way to accept large amounts of cash is to meet the buyer in your bank and deposit the cash into your account, allowing the buyer to hand the cash to the teller.
They will count it in a machine that detects any counterfeit moneys and will reject then. It then will be the buyers obligation to come up with any short changes.

Sigh the title over to the buyer after the money is accepted by the bank.

This protects you from counterfeit money and getting mugged by the buyers partner before you can take the money to the bank.

Ps, counting out $40,000 in cash is no easy task, especially if it involves a lot of twentys! Let the bank do the work.