C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 Vette build

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 04:14 AM
Whatif
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1965 Vette build

I'm putting my 65 Vette back on the road after it was hit by a hit and run driver . The frame was bent enough I didn't want to try and have it straightened. So after lots of pondering I decided to use a C3 frame to start my reincarnation . I bought this car with the intention of building a resto mod for road trips .
So for all you purist now might be a good time to hit the back button before you are beside yourself with the abomination that is about to take place .

So let's start with the car several months ago .
As you can see it was a flared car that was far from original but I liked the car none the less . This project will be built with that fallowing .

VanSteel coil over suspension and borgwarner power steering , thanks Dan .
TKO 600 conversion with upgraded syncros , thanks Ken
Wilwood brake upgrade calipers master cylinder .
Be cool radiator and spall fan
Flares by Jeff Freeman along with front spoiler .
Front nose by JD corvette
weld 17" wheels
And the list goes on , I will post pics of the build as I can and will post a detailed description of the C3 swap .
Thanks Ed
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2015, 07:21 AM
Ausbrian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ouch! good luck with the resto, look forward to seeing it come together.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:28 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Go for it
Old 11-24-2015, 08:10 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Why not use a proper C2 reproduction frame? You may still run into problems with modifying an old C3 frame to fit - could be bent, could be rusty inside, etc. Also, it seems I remember that sometime during the production run of C3s they went to thinner frame material - probably in the very late 70s - maybe about the time they went to the bridge differential support. I would avoid those.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:50 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,900 Likes on 883 Posts

You're going to keep the flares aren't you?

Looking forward to viewing the build.

Pat
Old 11-24-2015, 09:15 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Look forward to seeing it back on the road. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Knowing that you were planning on a 'resto-mod' as you put it...which I am ALL for it!

And I am sure you considered this...but in the case you might not have...I would look a the frame when you get it out and send it out and get the C4 front section welded to it. BUT...that all depends of you want the aluminum control arms, etc and have the provision for a rack and pinion, transverse leaf spring if you want it already for you to install. I am not there with gauges measuring out your frame...but from what I can see from the angle of the photo you posted....and know about frame straightening....this frame can be used..and have a front section sectioned in....but that is unless there is some serious kinking of rails that I obviously can not see.

Just a thought.

Sounds like a great project!

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 11-24-2015 at 06:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Whatif (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 04:11 AM
Whatif
Cruising

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Why not use a proper C2 reproduction frame? You may still run into problems with modifying an old C3 frame to fit - could be bent, could be rusty inside, etc. Also, it seems I remember that sometime during the production run of C3s they went to thinner frame material - probably in the very late 70s - maybe about the time they went to the bridge differential support. I would avoid those.
Well I could have spent the money on the proper frame as you put it . But I have already made my choice to save the money and use a 1977 frame that I bought for 550.00 . And I'm fairly handy with metal work and fabrication. The money I saved paid for my TKO. I built a jig that held everything square while I cut and moved the old 65 rear frame section over to the 77 frame . If the frames are different thicknesses it's marginal at best . Most of the frame work is done and I'm trying to figure out how to get my photos from my phone to photo bucket so I can post more than one pic at a time .
The frame swap is easy but there is nothing about the mounts between a C2 and a C3 that is anywhere near the same .but if you have both frames next to each other it's a straight forward job.
Ed
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2015, 04:19 AM
Whatif
Cruising

Originally Posted by DUB
Knowing that you were planning on a 'resto-mod' as you put it...which I am ALL for it!

And I am sure you considered this...but in the case you might not have...I would look a the frame when you get it out and send it out and get the C4 front section welded to it. BUT...that all depends of you want the aluminum control arms, etc and have the provision for a rack and pinion, transverse leaf spring if you want it already for you to install. I am not there with gauges measuring out your frame...but from what I can see from the angle of the photo you posted....and know about frame straightening....this frame can be used..and have a front section sectioned in....but that is unless there is some serious kinking of rails that I obviously can not see.

Just a thought.

Sounds like a great project!

DUB
Dub
I thought about the C4 stuff but in the end went with VanSteel suspension . The frame is pretty bad and I thought about sectioning it but found signs of a past accident and poor repairs and opt to just start with a known good frame . I finished the rear section and it turned out pretty nice .
Ed
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2015, 04:23 AM
Whatif
Cruising

I will do a write up on the frame swap when I get my photos in order but you can get an idea of how I used the jig to hold everything square and eliminating the need to worry about getting things out of whack . Here is a quick look at how the finished product looks.
Ed
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2015, 04:28 AM
Whatif
Cruising

And one more of the tapper that needed to be done .
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2015, 09:36 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,900 Likes on 883 Posts

Sure looks like you know what the heck you're doing to me.

Nice work!

Pat

P.S. Keep the flares!
Old 11-25-2015, 01:41 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk

Nice work!

Pat

P.S. Keep the flares!
And no insult intended over the use of "proper" frame. It's just a bunch of work to convert due to the mounts, front stub outs and rear frame member - but you look up to the chore. I think (not sure) that a 77 frame would be before I understood that they thinned out the frame metal. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

By NO MEANS am I passing any judgements on what you choose to do. I was just 'throwing' options out there...if you were not aware of them. I would hate that down the road....you found out about a 84-96 front end conversion and then felt like crap because that IS what you wanted to do....and then...I would feel like crap because I did not mention it.

It surely looks like this is NOT your first 'rodeo'. I am sure you are covering all the 'bases' and taking 'things' into account when you go and weld it up....so.... no need for me to spout off 'stuff'.

Looks good and keep up the good work...from what I see...all is GOOD!

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Whatif (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 09:21 PM
Whatif
Cruising

Originally Posted by DUB
By NO MEANS am I passing any judgements on what you choose to do. I was just 'throwing' options out there...if you were not aware of them. I would hate that down the road....you found out about a 84-96 front end conversion and then felt like crap because that IS what you wanted to do....and then...I would feel like crap because I did not mention it.

It surely looks like this is NOT your first 'rodeo'. I am sure you are covering all the 'bases' and taking 'things' into account when you go and weld it up....so.... no need for me to spout off 'stuff'.

Looks good and keep up the good work...from what I see...all is GOOD!

DUB
DUB
I appreciate all info and please keep the suggestions coming . Sorry if I posted like I didn't appreciate your input because I do , as this is my first Vette build and am a newbe here .
Thanks for taking the time to look over my thread and keep the Comments coming .
Happy Thanksgiving

Ed
Old 11-25-2015, 09:57 PM
Whatif
Cruising

Originally Posted by ptjsk

Nice work!

Pat

P.S. Keep the flares!
I am keeping flares just going a little different direction.
Ed

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 Vette build

Quick Reply: 1965 Vette build