C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'67 Speed Warning indicator buzzer repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:33 PM
Mr Fufu
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts
Default '67 Speed Warning indicator buzzer repair

I have a '67 coupe with the speed warning indicator. Trouble is, the buzzer does not sound. After I set the white needle to a given speed nothing happens once the set speed is exceeded.

Where do I start to troubleshoot this issue? Is it the buzzer itself that is defective? Is this an easy thing to fix? Or does it require removal of the cluster assembly to repair?

I've owned this car since last spring, and the speed buzzer never worked in the time I've had the car.

For reference, I also own a '65 Buick Riviera Gran Sport with speed warning indicator. I assume the system is similar to that in the Corvette. The buzzer in my Riviera has worked without problems since I bought the car in 1982.

Thanks for any tips/advice you can offer.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Ground the buzzer witch it should be if it's mounted. The put 12 volts to the terminals. It should buzz. If it does pull the cluster and have it sent out to be restored. The inner workings of speed warning is very intricate and delicate. Good luck. Speed warning first came out in 67 in all GM cars
Old 11-26-2015, 01:24 AM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

As Nowhere Man said, the buzzer can be bench tested, but I would be surprised if your problem is just the buzzer.

To troubleshoot, start with the buzzer and then the harness from the fuse panel to the buzzer. If they check out OK, the problem is within the cluster and it has to be removed to service it. There are many failure points within the cluster - from the hairspring on the needle, to the ground strap on the back of the speedo assembly. You might get lucky and spot something you can easily fix, but you will probably have to send the speedo out for repair.

Corvette Specialties of MD West rebuilt mine back in 2012. I had other issues in addition to the speed warning. Brian did an excellent job and it has worked flawlessly since.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:28 AM
Mr Fufu
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks for the info. Looks like the problem is in my cluster, so it'll have to come out to have it fixed. I didn't realize the speed warning setup was more complex than a simple buzzer. Another thing to add to the 'one day' list...

Get notified of new replies

To '67 Speed Warning indicator buzzer repair

Quick Reply: '67 Speed Warning indicator buzzer repair