C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

...any "good" experience with exhaust wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 02:46 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LouieM
Question: when wrapping the exhaust pipes, does one have to wear long sleeves and gloves to avoid the "fiberglas itchies"? Is the titanium wrap basically fiberglas?

I don't quite understand what the silicone spray coating is supposed to do. It's silicone as in *****, not silicon as in lubricant, so does it harden into some kind of rubbery coating that protects the wrap material?
Silicone as used to manufacture intercooler hoses, etc, (I'm guessing?)....it applies like spray paint in the installation videos for the fiberglass wrap. It's purpose is to lay down loose fibers/hairs and seal the fiberglass wrap. I can see changing the wrap color might be nice in some applications...comes in black, aluminum and white...and appears to cover well in the video. Color changes are not an option with the LR Titanium wrap...only the fiberglass type.

The Titanium wrap is made from lava rock..better explained in this link...which is supposedly easier to install, and requires no silicone spray unless you want to spray the pipes first. (....it says "do not spray the Titanium wrap" in the installation instructions).

Also the Titanium wrap does not need wetting prior to installation...and is more stretchy/flexible and easier to wrap tightly. (...it supposedly has a similar appearance to carbon fiber, as per the link too).

https://www.designengineering.com//c...-lr-technology

There is quite a bit of information about the products and installation tips on DEI website with the products.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 11-29-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:03 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
Silicone as used to manufacture intercooler hoses, etc, (I'm guessing?)....it applies like spray paint in the installation videos for the fiberglass wrap. It's purpose is to lay down loose fibers/hairs and seal the fiberglass wrap. I can see changing the wrap color might be nice in some applications...comes in black, aluminum and white...and appears to cover well in the video. Color changes are not an option with the LR Titanium wrap...only the fiberglass type.

The Titanium wrap is made from lava rock..better explained in this link...which is supposedly easier to install, and requires no silicone spray unless you want to spray the pipes first. (....it says "do not spray the Titanium wrap" in the installation instructions).

Also the Titanium wrap does not need wetting prior to installation...and is more stretchy/flexible and easier to wrap tightly. (...it supposedly has a similar appearance to carbon fiber, as per the link too).

https://www.designengineering.com//c...-lr-technology

There is quite a bit of information about the products and installation tips on DEI website with the products.
Thanks for pointing me to the DEI video, which I had somehow overlooked. DEI thinks highly of its ss ties, but nobody here does, so I'll use ss worm clamps too.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:32 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for pointing me to the DEI video, which I had somehow overlooked. DEI thinks highly of its ss ties, but nobody here does, so I'll use ss worm clamps too.
Yep ..me too. Worm gear clamps will work better... and are waaay cheaper than theirs!

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 11-29-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:44 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
Thanks Jim..

I didn't know which wrap was best...did you have a reason for the wrap you chose over the titanium type?

I just guessed and may need to exchange mine for what you used.

Thanks...Stan
Not particularly. I spent some time with them explaining what i was doing (turbos) and that's what we came up with. I used their turbo lava shields on each one.

The wrap has stood up well overall. Only issue I've had is my 3.5" exhaust sits a little low and the wrap doesn't like getting dragged over speed bumps etc. I've had to re-wrap it a couple of times on those sections.

I used their stainless clamps with no issues. They don't seem like they would hold as tight...but mine haven't moved.

The spray is to protect it from elements a little better. Mud/dirt and stuff. Figured it couldn't hurt.

JIM
Old 11-30-2015, 12:21 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

10-4 Thanks again Jim..
Old 11-30-2015, 01:16 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Question: when wrapping the exhaust pipes, does one have to wear long sleeves and gloves to avoid the "fiberglas itchies"? Is the titanium wrap basically fiberglas?

I don't quite understand what the silicone spray coating is supposed to do. It's silicone as in *****, not silicon as in lubricant, so does it harden into some kind of rubbery coating that protects the wrap material?
I didn't use any type of coating so I can't answer that one but IMO can't see much reason for it as long as your wraps are nice and tight, even, and properly clamped. I can say that I didn't experience any itching using the fiberglass composite wrap, though I did borrow a friends lift when I installed it (which I highly recommend) so that may be why.

Gary

Quick Reply: ...any "good" experience with exhaust wrap?