C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58-62 - Fix for hood release handle coming off

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 01:47 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Default 58-62 - Fix for hood release handle coming off

My hood release handle wasn't in the best shape, so I bought a new one. CC will not sell you just the handle...you have to buy the whole cable and handle...BUT Paragon will sell you just the handle.

When I got my new handle, I tapped the handle and the shaft with a 12-24 tap, which requires no pre-drilling. The original handle and shaft are NOT threaded....it is serrated and a press on fit.

The advantage of this is that it's highly unlikely to come off, and should I ever want to take my handle off, I can.

Should you decide to do this, there are some things you should know...

The hood release cable is a SINGLE piece of wire that goes from one hood latch through the handle and over to the opposite hood release latch. The wire is "threaded" through the handle like a needle and thread...so if you tap your shaft, you MUST hold the shaft from spinning when putting on or taking off the handle, otherwise you will twist the wire inside and end up with a sticky (if not stuck) cable.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Would you lose a lot of cable strength is you snipped off the loop before you thread the shaft? Seems to me it would be easier.

I did it another way. I drilled and tapped the handle for a set screw (two actually for safety) and use an allen set screw which tightens right into the shaft. Works so far.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:15 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

You don't need to snip off the cable (loop)....just thread it right on the car.

I just used some vice-grips and held the shaft from spinning while I tapped it.

Last edited by jusplainwacky; 11-28-2015 at 06:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 58-62 - Fix for hood release handle coming off

Quick Reply: 58-62 - Fix for hood release handle coming off