C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

selling a non titled car to buyer in california. ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 12:42 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Default selling a non titled car to buyer in california. ?

1967 Car is from CT. new buyer said it must have a Title for them to buy it. Anyone in CA. have experience with this.
I have the CT. bill of sale which normally is good everywhere. (CT. is a non title state.)
I went to DMV site in CA. and it appears like all you do is bring the bill of sale and the car to show the vin # and that should be all you need to do. Thanks
Old 11-30-2015, 12:56 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by roberts427
1967 Car is from CT. new buyer said it must have a Title for them to buy it. Anyone in CA. have experience with this.
I have the CT. bill of sale which normally is good everywhere. (CT. is a non title state.)
I went to DMV site in CA. and it appears like all you do is bring the bill of sale and the car to show the vin # and that should be all you need to do. Thanks
Well,
I applied for a lost title once and they issued me a title. I did have to have them do an inspection of the car. They need to be spoon fed as they do not know what they are looking for. As long as the car is legal they are glad to take your money.

Dom
Old 11-30-2015, 01:01 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

I bought a car on a BOS in CT and had no trouble getting a title issued in IL. I do not believe for a second that CAL would not have a mechanism to register and tax vehicles coming in from non-title states.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,274 Likes on 815 Posts

I bought mine out of Detroit, it had been sitting 28 years so I had little paperwork. I took it to DMV in California, they first said I needed a CHP, Highway Patrol inspection and then decided they had an expert that could do the work. A lady came out, looked the car over in about 5 minutes, it was on a car trailer and gave me a Calif title.
I paid quickly and left. I thought it was going to be a battle but it was not.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:38 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
I bought mine out of Detroit, it had been sitting 28 years so I had little paperwork. I took it to DMV in California, they first said I needed a CHP, Highway Patrol inspection and then decided they had an expert that could do the work. A lady came out, looked the car over in about 5 minutes, it was on a car trailer and gave me a Calif title.
I paid quickly and left. I thought it was going to be a battle but it was not.
What the CA DMV considers to be their "experts" is far less than what most of us know....
Old 11-30-2015, 01:51 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Yep. That's pretty much it. Someone at DMV will compare the VIN on the car to the VIN on the registration or bill of sale. If they agree, you get your CA title.

If you are attempting to title a C2, you may have to help the DMV employee be successful, though. It's improbable that DMV people will know where to look for the VIN plate AND you should be prepared for them to not believe that the stock location is under the glove box. They do have a reference book which details VIN plate locations. If you encounter skepticism, you should recommend they check their book.

Jim
Old 11-30-2015, 02:17 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks,I will relay this info to the very nervous new buyer and hope they have done some research of their own.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:28 PM
DIP51
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I bought a car on a BOS in CT and had no trouble getting a title issued in IL. I do not believe for a second that CAL would not have a mechanism to register and tax vehicles coming in from non-title states.
YUP!!! I would also include a copy of the current registration, so Cali knows that it was registered in CT. I have done it that way several times.

Should be a piece of cake!!!
Old 11-30-2015, 02:37 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I bought a CT car with no title this year. Took Bill of Sale to FL DMV and received FL title. No problem at all.

Last edited by OHSIXX; 11-30-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:11 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I bought a early 54 Corvette from CT and got just a handwritten bill of sale, no notary signature or stamp.
Took it to a Chevy dealer, some 18 year old kid came out and asked what kind of car it was and if had a vin tag. Showed him where the vin tag was, gave him $3.50 and he gave the correct inspection form.
Then went to the Title Bureau and applied for a title. Filled out the form, filled in the price $5000.00, the women said shouldn't the price br $500.00?? I must have been in a honest mood and told her $5000.00 was correct (I'll never do that again) paid the taxes and walked out with the title. Took me about 5 minutes.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:47 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I should know

Even though everything that you did with it or bought it for in the past was out of State, the California DMV will charge you for the years not registered, any taxes that they feel that you should have paid upon transfer even though it was out of state, that you mistakenly tell them about and I am sure they have other revenue collecting tricks.

It would be best to register it in CT first, prior to the sell and then make the bill of sale price really DMV friendly for the buyer!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 11-30-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:57 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

I almost lost a good buy on a car in Georgia because the guy said he did not have a title and that Georgia did not require one. I thought yeah, I bet, but then went by the KY DMV and they said Georgia was a non title state and a bill of sale was all I needed. Ky recognizes and goes by the law of the state the car is coming from.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:28 PM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

I'm quite sure Ca DMV has a procedure to title the car. You may have to "educate" the buyer in regards to this. As I have complained before, NC is a hideous state to get a non titled vehicle titled. I had to have an ARMED DMV agent come to my home to inspect the vehicle and I was treated like a car thief.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:51 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Even though everything that you did with it or bought it for in the past was out of State, the California DMV will charge you for the years not registered, any taxes that they feel that you should have paid upon transfer even though it was out of state, that you mistakenly tell them about and I am sure they have other revenue collecting tricks.

It would be best to register it in CT first, prior to the sell and then make the bill of sale price really DMV friendly for the buyer!
Yep!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:19 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Even though everything that you did with it or bought it for in the past was out of State, the California DMV will charge you for the years not registered, any taxes that they feel that you should have paid upon transfer.........
This doesn't match my experience at all and I've imported 5 vehicles into the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

The only thing they tried to do was to collect sales tax on a non-op vehicle which I bought out of state.

Last edited by jim lockwood; 11-30-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:46 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I think it kind of depends on what DMV,

What counter-person, whether they were upset by the last customer, etc etc etc.

I am not going to write about all of the DMV stories I have experienced or heard, but just this week my Brother had lived in PA (non-title State I was told on at least his dirt bike). He bought it there, had it for 5 years while there, and comes back to California and got charged the taxes on the sell that occurred 5 years previous in PA, and the years of registration. I wasn't in the mood to get all of the finer points as to his experience, but when I got my 2nd C2, I got hit with back period of registration, when the car had been taken out of State for a 2 year period by the second previous Owner, even though I bought that car registered and titled here in California from the seller.

I am not discouraging anyone from going forward on a deal, just know the Cal DMV operates in its own unique way!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 11-30-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:11 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
This doesn't match my experience at all and I've imported 5 vehicles into the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

The only thing they tried to do was to collect sales tax on a non-op vehicle which I bought out of state.
Exactly my experience.

Get notified of new replies

To selling a non titled car to buyer in california. ?

Old 11-30-2015, 11:30 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

I've owned my car since 1974, drove it until 1976, parked it but kept the tags up until 1980, It was parked and never registered again until i got back on the road in 2009....

I just showed them the bill of sale of $1150.00 from 1974 and paid the registration amount of $100.00 to get the tags for the year i started driving it again..
I didn't have to pay any back taxes on it either...

It hasn't gone up much since, i think i paid $108.00 this year..
Old 11-30-2015, 11:37 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

As others have stated, CA should recognize that CT is a non-title state and issue a CA title. Do NOT let them issue a replacement state-issued VIN!! Tell your buyer to run, don't walk, if someone at the MVD tries that.

Last edited by BlackbirdZ07; 11-30-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:11 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
As others have stated, CA should recognize that CT is a non-title state and issue a CA title. Do NOT let them issue a replacement state-issued VIN!! Tell your buyer to run, don't walk, if someone at the MVD tries that.
My experience - California will allow a replacement title when the title is lost or destroyed or unreadable whatever. They can use any bill a sale/s within California. I am not sure about other state's bill of sales. How would they find out if it was stolen or another car using the same vin on a different car?

I had bill of sales dating back from 1973. It took me about six months to get a reissued title via Sacramento. I had to give up the original bill of sales for the paperwork to my local DMV office. Luckily, I made copies and had an official at DMV make the copies since the first time around Sacramento lost the paperwork. Six months later the title arrived. The title research had to go through the office in Sacramento. At the time, the title research department in the Sacramento office would not take questions via walk ins or phone calls. In fact, the person at the local DMV was told as I was that they would answer my questions or her questions within three weeks. In my case they lost the paperwork so it took some extra time. Lots of headaches but it worked out in the end. At one point, I looked into getting the title work taken care of while I was living in Illinois. Illinois told me to take the paperwork and the car back to CA. That would be the best option.

My advice is to get the title work completed in CT or another state to get a reissued title. Then maybe California DMV might allow the new owner to register the car in California.

Tough one. I would walk away if I was the buyer. For me, it was a PITA to get my car titled in California. The cool thing it is not a reissued vin.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 12-01-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: selling a non titled car to buyer in california. ?