C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

muncie rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 06:53 AM
jkg2101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default muncie rebuild

Hi all - I am halfway through my body-off resto of 67 big block car. I have the original numbers matching muncie 4 speed trans. The car was barely running when I got it, so I couldnt really test drive the trans much - it did shift into first, but the shifter was broken so I dont know much beyond that.

I do know that it is a tough job to remove and reinstall the trans once the body is back on the frame - i did this job once and would prefer to not do again.

So, I think I want an expert to go through my trans before I put body back on frame. I have spoken to hartnett and reed, which are both a few hours driving away from me. they seem nice and knowledgeable, although I have had a NOT great experience with one of them before regarding using bad parts for rebuild.

BUT, I live a very short drive from rockland standard gear in New York. they are famous for late model trans and diff work. When I called them, they are a big company, and they will go through my trans if I leave it there. But i just drop it at the window, basically - big company stuff. I cant speak to the guys doing the work, like a big dealership.

Has anyone used rockland standard gear for rebuild work like this? Would anyone suggest just putting it back in car without going through it? i have a toploader from a mustang that was well used - i just installed it and it has been fine for the last 20 years that way.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:15 AM
jkg2101
Racer

I am pretty handy as a home mechanic. How crazy would it be to rebuild the trans myself? I have a press and a bunch of tools. I did the entire front and rear suspension myself, but the rear suspension work was a real pain, and getting the u joints out of the old halfshafts was difficult to impossible with my 20 ton home press, but the guys at the driveshaft shop did it in no time.

I have seen the internet pictorials of trans rebuilding. it looks like a lot of parts and a lot of steps.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:42 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Now is the time to do the trans, you will not regret it.
It sounds as if it is not beyond your capabilities.
There is a lot of information out there that you can read and watch before you tackle the job. Read the factory service manual first. The only special tool I could recommend is the wrench to tighten the input bearing retaining nut.
I have an article on disassembly and inspection of a T-10 that I did which can help you identify worn parts that need to be replaced.
When you get it apart you can post pictures and ask for advise. I will try and answer any questions on procedures and what parts need replacement.
Joe
Old 12-01-2015, 07:49 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by plaidside
Now is the time to do the trans, you will not regret it.
It sounds as if it is not beyond your capabilities.
There is a lot of information out there that you can read and watch before you tackle the job. Read the factory service manual first. The only special tool I could recommend is the wrench to tighten the input bearing retaining nut.
I have an article on disassembly and inspection of a T-10 that I did which can help you identify worn parts that need to be replaced.
When you get it apart you can post pictures and ask for advise. I will try and answer any questions on procedures and what parts need replacement.
Joe
Take it to Larry Fischer of D and L transmissions on Long Island. Great guy and a Muncie expert. He rebuilt mine and it has been great and was very reasonable. Tell him Bill Van Orman sent you! His number is 631-351-4837.

Last edited by 69ttop502; 12-01-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:04 AM
JodysTransmissions
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Take it to Larry Fischer of D and L transmissions on Long Island. Great guy and a Muncie expert. He rebuilt mine and it has been great and was very reasonable. Tell him Bill Van Orman sent you! His number is 631-351-4837.
We have a stash of NOS Muncie gears and can help guide you through the rebuild process. Muncie's are not that hard to rebuild, knowing what to replace with good quality is key.

Our process works like this; we send you a Muncie rebuild article, you dismantle your entire 4 speed, send us many pictures of your questionable parts for us to review. Then we put together the specific parts for you to reassemble.

You ask, why do we do this? These many forums I travel have given me so much information to use that this is my give back

Check us out on many other forums as we have helped many 1st timers do this process.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:17 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I have not rebuilt a manual transmission myself but from experiences with re-builders I would like to reinforce that identifying a good part from a bad part is probably the most important issue. I usually get a box full of bad parts back with the rebuilt transmission and I pick them up and examine them and wonder what they see wrong with them that I can't - but the rebuilt transmission now works well so they obviously know. All 50 year old transmission parts are going to have some wear - I think it's almost more art than science knowing which ones are still serviceable and which ones aren't.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:52 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I have not rebuilt a manual transmission myself but from experiences with re-builders I would like to reinforce that identifying a good part from a bad part is probably the most important issue. ... All 50 year old transmission parts are going to have some wear - I think it's almost more art than science knowing which ones are still serviceable and which ones aren't.
Based on what you’ve said, your time might be better spent on something less crucial to the outcome of the restoration. It is certainly not a task you want to repeat after finishing the restoration, only to find out that your M-21 sounds more like an M-22 than an M-21.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 12-01-2015, 09:08 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Take it to Larry Fischer of D and L transmissions on Long Island. Great guy and a Muncie expert. He rebuilt mine and it has been great and was very reasonable. Tell him Bill Van Orman (or Tom Parsons) sent you! His number is 631-351-4837.
READ AND HEED--------------------PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE.
In your area, Larry is the BEST. PERIOD!
I've been doing all my 4sp business with Larry for over 30yrs and have always been thoroughly pleased. He is over 1000mi away from me (I'm in Okla) and I still buy my parts from him, and when I have any questions, he ALWAYS has the right answer. http://www.dandltransmission.com/

Last edited by DZAUTO; 12-01-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jkg2101
I am pretty handy as a home mechanic. How crazy would it be to rebuild the trans myself?
Not crazy at all. Based on the work you've done and the tools you have, I don't think you'll have any trouble at all - it's not rocket science.

Many of us have rebuilt our Muncie's with excellent results. There are a huge number of instructions and videos out there to provide help.

I second (or third) the recommendation for Larry at D and L. I got all my parts from him and he was great to work with. His basic rebuild kit may be all you need (bearings, countershaft, synchros, small parts, gaskets and seals, etc.), but you’ll know more once you tear it down.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:17 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

That's a hell of a great offer from Jody, I wish I was in your position a year ago when I went through mine. Instead, I wound up with a series of problems from a professional rebuild that I ultimately had to solve on my own.

You could also contact Auto Gear directly, they provided me outstanding support in getting mine fixed.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:59 PM
jkg2101
Racer

Thanks everyone, for the offers of help and the encouragement to do the job.

I have to say, the people on this forum are just a really nice bunch of people.

Despite the fact that I have done pretty much every single part of my complete resto on my car, I think I will try the local guy at rockland standard gear. I spoke to him by phone, and he seems really knowledgeable and really friendly. he offered to take it apart and take pics for me to see, as he recommends what internals need replacing.

I am embarassed to say I am choosing not to do it myself. it seems like a fun project, and I am still debating do it myself. (I would most likely do it myself if I didnt have a job and some kids, since it will be hard to do one hour at a time - which is my current limit on car work time). if so, i will post pics and hit you up for more advice.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:27 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I wouldn't feel bad about farming it out. Since you don't have any idea what operational condition it was in when it landed in your lap, you would have been diving into unchartered waters. I like to do things myself also - can't hardly stand to take even a daily driver to a dealer and haven't paid for an oil change since at least the late 60s - but trying to identify serviceable parts from unserviceable parts in a 50 year old transmission takes a practiced eye - at least for my 2 cents worth.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:00 PM
jkg2101
Racer

thanks for the positive words

i'm with you on the oil change (do all of my own but the newer cars do make it tougher - can't barely reach the darn filter on the new ford expedition), and also on the dealerships - I wont take my 08 Z06 in to the dealer for a stupid computer update because the dealership wont even tell me if they can do it while I wait, nor can they tell me if they even know what the upgrade is, even though I give them the TSB. Taking any car anywhere for service is usually more trouble than its worth. You got me started on my service rant! i'll stop now

we should make a thread about bad experiences with incompetent service people. I'll start off - when I bought a brand new Cadillac V series in 04, i took it back for a recall on a suspension washer. The monkey who drove it off stalled it twice just moving it 20 feet, and then left it idling in the parking lot for 30 minutes because he didnt think to shut it off. I finally walked over and turned it off.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:08 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

Go with Larry at D&L, owner operator no nonsense.

Get notified of new replies

To muncie rebuild

Quick Reply: muncie rebuild