C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Speedometer and Tachometer lube Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 05:25 PM
cblankin
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Speedometer and Tachometer lube Procedure

My speedometer needle has started to bounce around till everything warms up and it settles down. I think it's time for a little cable lube. What would be an easy procedure to do this? Replace the whole cable speedometer and tachometer or pull the cable out of the housing clean and lube. Do you remove the cable from the gauge cluster end or the transmission end? Both cable were replaced when car went through a body off restoration in 2010.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:50 PM
irwiny
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

My speedometer would really bounce 20-40 MPH when you let off the gas and coast.

After unscrewing it from the back of the gauge, pulled out the cable and used "Kable - Ease" after cleaning. I was told not to lube the last few inches near the gauge. Make note of the amount of cable extending out from the connector before you pull the cable out. When you reinsert the lubed cable and there is excess center cable sticking out of the connector, you may not be able to reinstall it back on the gauge. You may need to turn the cable a half turn to better seat the cable on the transmission side.

Just a FYI - it didn't fix the problem immediately and I did it twice. After a few months the bouncing was less, but just recently I discovered my Tremec was leaking from the speedometer cable connector. Had a new o ring installed and so far no more bouncing.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:41 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

This is from our original copy of the calibration manual for speedometers and tach's.

There is a similar version of this lube available at your local parts store...

Pay close attention to the 2/3's rule because too much will cause the speedometer to prematurely fail.

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 12-08-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:27 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

This was taught to me by the owner of a speedometer repair shop many, many years ago. Disconnect both ends of the cable housing, remove the cable from the gauge end, flush the housing with spray carb. cleaner until it runs clear, blow housing out with compressed air, re-insert the cable giving it a light coat of Vaseline as you re-insert it (if there are any burrs, you'll feel them and need to replace the cable). I've used this procedure for over 40 years and never had a failure or had to repeat lubing them.

Get notified of new replies

To Speedometer and Tachometer lube Procedure

Quick Reply: Speedometer and Tachometer lube Procedure