C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:27 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Starting issue

I've been having a nagging issue with hot starting on my 57. Starts fine cold, but initially only "clicks" when trying to restart when hot. Usually does start after the initial click. Checked all wiring connections, all seem OK. Does this sound like a starter issue? It almost acts like a bad ground, but it always does start after the clicking try. Any thoughts are appreciated!
Old 01-09-2016, 07:32 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Mine was the starter solenoid.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:03 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Mine was the starter solenoid.
Sounds like a weak solenoid drawing more current when hot.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:54 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Hot start failure is common Chevy problem. Mostly due to the solenoid winding becoming hot and have increased resistance to current flow - solenoid cannot kick out the pinnion gear. Chevy fix was a solenoid shield but I don't know if your year vette came with a heat shield for the solenoid. Best shield I found was a cheap JC Whitney shield that I modded to shield the solenoid and starter motor both from the exh headers but has an air gap between starter motor/solenoid an d shield.
Don't even waste your time on a remote solenoid. It does nothing for the Chevy which still has the attached solenoid that still has to operate the Bendix gear. Those that try to use a remote solenoid like Ford uses have no clue for electricity as the Ford starter is different design.

Chevy also came out with a remote solenoid to bypass all the contact resistance of later model interlocks between the ign sw and starter solenoid but that still won't fix a hot soak problem for the solenoid coil wire. Only a good heat shield can do that. The stupid wraps that every vendor on the planet will sell u only keeps the heat wrapped in once the starter gets hot from the exh manifold radiant heat.

Hope this helped.

Last edited by cardo0; 01-09-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:42 AM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the replies. Since this is a fairly recent problem, could it be the solenoid is sticking momentarily due to wear? It always seems to start right away after clicking only one time.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:34 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Its been a LONG time and MikeM and others can keep me on track, but there used to be a large metal washer inside the solenoid that would begin to get flaky after years of use; you can open up the solenoid and flip that around to a new contact area and it might help. Sometimes the starter's "drive" (the item with the gear between components #1 and #2) will get weak and you can replace that separately. Never hurts to check for corrosion at battery, starter and ground connections either.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Tiros
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Since it clicks the solenoid is kicking up the gear. Most likely the relay portion of the solenoid contacts are burned/pitted. When the gear gets kicked up, the other end (of #6) bridges the battery to the motor winding. for all purposes, a high current relay.

So maybe the first time, the bridge can't connect enough juice to turn the starter motor. Another key flip, refreshes the contact points and it starts.

Last edited by Tiros; 01-10-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:15 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

I solved a terrible hot start issue on one of my GTO's this summer...3, THREE ... new hi torque starters...and two heat shields later I finally broke down and put $100 mini starter [off ebay] on it and it solved the issue 100% right away.

Last week I put a mini starter on my '66 Vette and it sounds and works fabulous.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:30 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by vettepoor
I've been having a nagging issue with hot starting on my 57. Starts fine cold, but initially only "clicks" when trying to restart when hot. Usually does start after the initial click. Checked all wiring connections, all seem OK. Does this sound like a starter issue? It almost acts like a bad ground, but it always does start after the clicking try. Any thoughts are appreciated!
Originally Posted by vettepoor
Thank you for the replies. Since this is a fairly recent problem, could it be the solenoid is sticking momentarily due to wear? It always seems to start right away after clicking only one time.

Yes as others mentioned there is a contactor disk that takes the spark when the solenoid pulls it into the contacts or pulls the contacts into the disk (which ever). Ive had good luck by just flipping that disk over when its corroded from all the sparking. U can also buy these separate if u look or u can buy the whole solenoid also.

But if engine heat is causing the problem its more likely the lack of a functional heat shield over the solenoid.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:21 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Well, THAT brings back memories of auto shop classes, turning the commutator, scraping the mica insulation between commutator bars, using the growler to check windings. Sniff...

I would suspect either the solenoid, or the starter drive.

Sometimes a little grease on the starter drive shaft, after taking it off the shaft and cleaning it. Possibly a corroded battery cable to the starter, but most likely not if the starter will operate ona second of third ignition attempt.

If you can, when you think this is going to occur, open the hood and listen while someone turns the key, do you just get a click, or substantial thunk as the solenoid slams the starter drive forward?

Doug

Old 01-10-2016, 02:32 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Well, THAT brings back memories of auto shop classes, turning the commutator, scraping the mica insulation between commutator bars, using the growler to check windings. Sniff...

I would suspect either the solenoid, or the starter drive.

Sometimes a little grease on the starter drive shaft, after taking it off the shaft and cleaning it. Possibly a corroded battery cable to the starter, but most likely not if the starter will operate ona second of third ignition attempt.

If you can, when you think this is going to occur, open the hood and listen while someone turns the key, do you just get a click, or substantial thunk as the solenoid slams the starter drive forward?

Doug

Thanks Doug. I can only detect a click when this occurs as opposed to any thunking sound. I'm going to pull things apart and see if anything is obvious, clean it up and hope for the best. Thanks again to all for your input.

Get notified of new replies

To Starting issue

Quick Reply: Starting issue