C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

advice about electric power steering ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 11:57 PM
Fast58
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice about electric power steering ?

Does anyone have any experience with or advice about electric power steering like the EZ system that I see on line? I'm going to be putting my '58 back together soon, and I'm trying to decide about what modifications to consider. Already have front disk brakes. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:28 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-booster.html
See post #15
The following users liked this post:
Fast58 (01-11-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 08:46 AM
62-C1
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Electric Power steering

Does anyone have any information about installing the EPAS (Electric Power assist Steering) System in a C1 Corvette. The gentleman in Florida that sells the system told me he has sold about 1000 Systems but he can't tell me anyone who has put one in an old Vette. Seems people are using them in older Mustangs. Im in Ohio and I am looking for an installer.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:14 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Modern cars with electric power steering made by major automakers do not always get high marks for steering feel. Personally I'm not turned on by electric steering. Bmw did it to their 3-series which I have loved several years ago and really killed the feedback and weight. They have been playing catchup ever since. I doubt a small volume kit is much better.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:47 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Electric power steering

I have it in my NSX. It is coupled with rack and pinion. After about 15 mph the electric component turns off and you utilize just the R & P set up. That said, I don't know how it would work on a front engine mounted car. Jerry
Old 01-18-2016, 07:21 PM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

The only time I would go for EPAS is if for some reason I couldn't get a conventional hydraulic system to work. These systems require alot of current to operate and may end up being just as complicated to install as a hydraulic type system. Whats is drawing you to this type of system?

The main reason the OEMs went to EPAS was to save fuel by reducing parasitic loss of the hydraulic pump. They have come a long way and have become pretty good and very reliable.

Most of the aftermarket systems I have seen seem to be the type with the assist motor mounted to the column like the early GM systems rather than the more recent type with the rack mounted motor. The early systems tended to have a real problem with over assist and lack of feel and they were VERY hard on the steering shaft joints.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:58 AM
62-C1
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Has anyone installed the EPAS System sold by us auto performance in Florida. I would like to talk with someone that has installed this system in a CI Corvette.I have a 62.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:12 PM
facelvega
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast58
Does anyone have any experience with or advice about electric power steering like the EZ system that I see on line? I'm going to be putting my '58 back together soon, and I'm trying to decide about what modifications to consider. Already have front disk brakes. Thanks.
Hello, 6 weeks ago I installed myself a EZ-powersteering in my `62 C1 and I am happy.
I am living in Germany and studied all available electric power steering kits and finally found out that the EZ is a good value for the money. It is more expensive but this powersteering is a customized kit with the complete steering equipment up from the firewall.
I am not an expert and could install it in one day. I removed the whole steering equipment and did the necessary work on a table.
If you send me a PN with your email-adress I will send you the installation manual in english as a PDF.
regards
Fast58 (02-11-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 09:50 AM
Builder58
Heel & Toe

Default 1958 Corvette Electric Assisted Power Steering

Originally Posted by facelvega
Hello, 6 weeks ago I installed myself a EZ-powersteering in my `62 C1 and I am happy.
I am living in Germany and studied all available electric power steering kits and finally found out that the EZ is a good value for the money. It is more expensive but this powersteering is a customized kit with the complete steering equipment up from the firewall.
I am not an expert and could install it in one day. I removed the whole steering equipment and did the necessary work on a table.
If you send me a PN with your email-adress I will send you the installation manual in english as a PDF.
regards
Greetings facelvega: Glad to hear of your positive experience. I am installing an EPAS system on my 1958 and would like to know what you learned from cutting your steering column. Also, I see where several folks are concerned about road feel. I am using a potentiometer to control road feel.

Is your offer still good about send a pdf of the installationmanual you used?

Builder58
Old 07-14-2016, 01:05 PM
facelvega
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default ez powersteering

Originally Posted by Builder58
Greetings facelvega: Glad to hear of your positive experience. I am installing an EPAS system on my 1958 and would like to know what you learned from cutting your steering column. Also, I see where several folks are concerned about road feel. I am using a potentiometer to control road feel.

Is your offer still good about send a pdf of the installationmanual you used?

Builder58
Hello from Germany. The easiest way to cut the steering column is to take out the complete steering and then cut it. In the description is written to cut the steering column when it is still installed but this would be very difficult.
If you send me your email-adress I will mail you the installation manual.

The road feeling is very good and I selected the minimum assistance via the control potentiometer. A great benefit is the road feeling in the city, mountains, curves and when you park the car.

Thanks
Alfred
Builder58 (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 09:14 PM
Builder58
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by facelvega
Hello from Germany. The easiest way to cut the steering column is to take out the complete steering and then cut it. In the description is written to cut the steering column when it is still installed but this would be very difficult.
If you send me your email-adress I will mail you the installation manual.

The road feeling is very good and I selected the minimum assistance via the control potentiometer. A great benefit is the road feeling in the city, mountains, curves and when you park the car.

Thanks
Alfred
Terrific .... my email is solver7742@gmail.com

Thanks,

Rod
Old 07-14-2016, 09:35 PM
Builder58
Heel & Toe

Alfred:

Thank you. My email is solver7742@gmail.com

Best,

Builder58 ... Rod
Old 07-16-2016, 07:12 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Mustangs have been running electric power steering since about 2011 I think. I can't tell the difference from hydraulic. It's nice to be able to adjust the steering effort to different levels.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:47 AM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

What is the draw to electric PS. And by electric PS I assume you mean electric assist?

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-16-2016, 05:49 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky65
What is the draw to electric PS. And by electric PS I assume you mean electric assist?

Thanks
Tom
Yes, electric assist. I just like the multiple effort modes. But here is what the propagandist at Ford have to say.

The main benefits and reasoning behind moving to electric assist is the elimination of the weight, drag, and complexity of the engine driven hydraulic pump. Not only has horsepower been freed up, more efficiency gained, the power steering as a system been reduced to a single self contained component. The system saves approximately 3 hp and increases gas mileage by about 4% claims the manufacturer of the unit, Nexteer.

The best part of the new system for driving enthusiasts is the inherent handling precision improvements it brings. Hydraulic power steering systems by design place a cushion of hydraulic fluid between the actual steering gear and steering shaft. When you turn left or right you are getting a little bit of slop, a bit of lag as that hydraulic fluid is moving in and out of an actuator valve that controls steering boost. Though minute in the grand scheme of things, this removes a lot of steering feel and that direct gear to gear connection that allows a driver to pick up on messages the tires are sending up the line.

In the case of Mustang’s electric power steering assist system, the steering shaft is solidly connected to the pinion gear that acts left and right on the rack. A non-touching sensor resides at the base of the steering shaft that picks up the driver’s inputs and passes that information along to the electronic control unit. Power assist is given through a separate pinion gear located on the opposite side. So there is nothing coming between you and the feel of the road.

Because the system is controlled electronically, software can monitor various other conditions such as vehicle speed, steering angle, and traction conditions to give variable levels of assist. This means that Ford has been able to program the system to give more assist at a stop or at slow speed such as in a parking lot. Conversely, less assist is given at high speeds to give you a heavier steering feel for more control. In the presentation of the new 2011 Shelby GT-500, the SVT engineers stated that they spent a lot of engineering time programming the system to allow maximum road feel and handling characteristics.

Ford says that EPAS has made a dramatic contribution to the 2011 Mustang’s driving dynamics, delivering quicker on-center steering response, increased effort at highway speeds and reduced effort required in low-speed parking maneuvers. EPAS will have specific tuning for each Mustang model.
Sky65 (07-16-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To advice about electric power steering ?

Quick Reply: advice about electric power steering ?