C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fire extinguisher bracket

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 02:59 PM
yaww
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Fire extinguisher bracket

I bought a Kidde fire entinguisher from Homedepot which came with its plastic bracket. I cut a steel ruler to bridge the bracket to the seat bolt next to driver seat, can be done for passenger seat too. In case you would need a $15 solution.

The following users liked this post:
vmaxpwc (01-16-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 03:19 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I bought Velcro with a sticky back. the sticky part goes on the extinguisher and the velcro stays on the carpet. also that is a poor choice for a extinguisher for a classic car
Old 01-15-2016, 06:00 PM
treh1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Pretty nifty mount! However, I would agree with Nowhere Man, dry chemical extinguishers make a huge mess! I used one on a carburetor fire over a year ago and I'm still cleaning off the white residue from all the nooks and crannies. Since then, I bought a bracket from VetteWorks and a Halon extinguisher that sits at the base of the passenger seat.
Attached Images   
Old 01-15-2016, 06:48 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

For mine I removed the carpeting on the hump between the seats and hand stitched velcro on the top in three places and had two sided tape on velcro on the bracket.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:02 PM
HilltopClassicCars
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Previous owner installed one in our 1960 mounted horizontally on the passenger side dash center pillar (probably not the correct term but the housing with the heater controls, radio and clock) just above the transmission tunnel. It was oriented with the top of the extinguisher (the end with the handle and valve) towards the rear of the car. It worked fine for my wife mounted that way but when I sat on the passenger side, the handle was against my leg which annoyed me.

I turned it around so the handle faces the front of the car and that annoyance was solved. Last week a friend of hers saw the car for her first time and noticed the base of the extinguisher and asked my wife if she had a nitrous setup installed. My wife and I had a good laugh and it got me to thinking, if I could find an anodized sleeve to slip over the extinguisher base, it would indeed look just like a NOS bottle and be worth many more laughs. I don't have a photo of it but if you want me to I can take one and post it?
Old 07-22-2016, 05:19 PM
covette coupe
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
I bought Velcro with a sticky back. the sticky part goes on the extinguisher and the velcro stays on the carpet. also that is a poor choice for a extinguisher for a classic car
Agreed!!
Old 07-23-2016, 12:44 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by treh1
Pretty nifty mount! However, I would agree with Nowhere Man, dry chemical extinguishers make a huge mess! I used one on a carburetor fire over a year ago and I'm still cleaning off the white residue from all the nooks and crannies. Since then, I bought a bracket from VetteWorks and a Halon extinguisher that sits at the base of the passenger seat.
Except you can't move the seats after you install this mount.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:22 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by babbah
Except you can't move the seats after you install this mount.
in a C1 there is no reason to move the passenger seat as there is nothing to access behind it...

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Fire extinguisher bracket

Quick Reply: Fire extinguisher bracket