C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hood cable

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 09:04 AM
davemiller
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hood cable

I pulled on my hood release cable and it pulled right out. What is the easy way to open hood Its a 66 conv
Old 01-16-2016, 09:07 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Lay under the car and reach up at the drivers side hood latch and pull on the lever where the cable hooks up to.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:56 AM
davemiller
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks
Old 01-16-2016, 10:17 AM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Another timely post for me to add to... I have my hood release cable out for refinishing. Is there anything I can do to ensure the T handle does not come off like this?
Old 01-16-2016, 10:29 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by gccch
Another timely post for me to add to... I have my hood release cable out for refinishing. Is there anything I can do to ensure the T handle does not come off like this?
Make sure the cable end has a 90* bend after it goes thorough the cable stop and the cable stop bolt is tight. There is nothing you can to to prevent the cable from coming out of the handle it self.

It's not fun job to do when your at a show. Trust me I have done it twice. Once dads car other a friends car. Side pipes make it worse. It wouldn't be that bad at home in a garage where you have all kinds of tools at your disposal. But it never works out that way.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:59 AM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Make sure the cable end has a 90* bend after it goes thorough the cable stop and the cable stop bolt is tight. There is nothing you can to to prevent the cable from coming out of the handle it self.

It's not fun job to do when your at a show. Trust me I have done it twice. Once dads car other a friends car. Side pipes make it worse. It wouldn't be that bad at home in a garage where you have all kinds of tools at your disposal. But it never works out that way.
As Keith points out above, you can bend the cable wire to prevent it pulling back through the barrel nut. Alternatively, you can get some extra barrel nuts and "double nut" the cable ends. Easy enough to remove the extras if you are going to have the car judged. I also added a "fail-safe cable to the main latch which is detailed in the attached PDF. The latch lever is easier to get to if the splash shield is removed. Hope this is useful.
Dave Z
Attached Images
Old 01-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Another version of this is when the actual T handle comes off in your hand inside. You can replace the entire assembly or drill, and tap the body for a small set screw. Your car, your decision! Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To Hood cable

Quick Reply: Hood cable