C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mershons

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Ohiomark
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Mershons

I notice that Mershons have quite a few "mid-years" available and I wondered if anyone has experience with them? I haven't been there to look at their cars in 10 -15 years and therefore my question.

Thanks!

Mark
Old 01-16-2016, 10:05 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohiomark
I notice that Mershons have quite a few "mid-years" available and I wondered if anyone has experience with them? I haven't been there to look at their cars in 10 -15 years and therefore my question.

Thanks!

Mark
Dan is not at the shop much anymore. They do have some nice Corvettes.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:24 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,048 Likes on 576 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just like any other place do your homework and if you don't know, take someone with you who does, and not after you buy it. A friend just bought a 66 for over $60,000 they told him they thought the body was all original. I told him that was a red flag because they know corvettes, if it was all original they would say so not maybe or I think. It turned out it has cheep hand laid 1/4 panels and hand laid filler pcs on the front fenders the car had flairs at one time. To fix it right it needs a whole front and new 1/4's and a total repaint.
The following users liked this post:
MarkC (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 12:09 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Agreed, send someone to check the car out. I went to a local corvette dealer recently to see what they had to offer in the way of midyears, and boy was I surprised. non disclosed 1 piece front ends, (and another with a undisclosed 1 piece rear end) mismatched trim tags, rusty frames called solid, matching number restamps, and the list went on and on. I did point out a few things, and was asked "why would you not like a 1 piece part??? aren't they less likely to crack??
Old 01-16-2016, 12:34 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,273 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I know several who bought midyears there and are happy with their purchase. If you are not an expert, hire one.
The following users liked this post:
Ohiomark (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 01:40 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I have not bought a car there, but have called and emailed a few times over the years when they had something I was interested in. My most recent experience was a very good one, receiving detailed and complete answers to my questions. Prior to that I usually got the "aw shucks, we aren't sure" replies to pointed questions.

Seems like a mix of experiences here on the forum. There is plenty to read in the archives.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:01 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Dan's been around a long time and my experience with him has been that he was a straight shooter. He also would keep in mind the value of his business name in the community, so I dont see him intentionally misrepresenting anything.

That said, every single business that employs people runs the risk of varied experience levels and abilities, including people skills, between their employees. Some salesmen may impress you more than others.

I would treat cars at Meshons's like any other car for sale at any other venue, including someone's driveway. It requires YOU to take responsibility for the proper inspection and verification of the car and its details and your determination of whether the price is market appropriate and/or acceptable to you. If you are not capable of this you need to enlist the help of someone who is.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:23 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Dan's been around a long time and my experience with him has been that he was a straight shooter. He also would keep in mind the value of his business name in the community, so I dont see him intentionally misrepresenting anything.

That said, every single business that employs people runs the risk of varied experience levels and abilities, including people skills, between their employees. Some salesmen may impress you more than others.

I would treat cars at Meshons's like any other car for sale at any other venue, including someone's driveway. It requires YOU to take responsibility for the proper inspection and verification of the car and its details and your determination of whether the price is market appropriate and/or acceptable to you. If you are not capable of this you need to enlist the help of someone who is.
I agree with Steve. Dan himself is a straight shooter, but he is the only one I have dealt with there. Been to his store many years ago and at that time he had a nice inventory. He was always friendly when I saw him at the shows and more than happy to talk Corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To Mershons

Quick Reply: Mershons