C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Starting to shop for a C1, need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 06:29 PM
Kruegmeister
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Starting to shop for a C1, need some advice.

So I'm thinking I like the 56 & 57 the best.
Also considering 58-62 as well.
Pretty sure I want Red with White. Black with Silver & Red interior looks intriguing too...

Looking for something in the $45K to $60K range.

Seen some that interest me at VintageVettes.net & Corvettemike Midwest
Did see some bad reviews about VintageVettes, so they scare me a bit.
Been using Google & Hemmings & eBay currently...

Looking for recommendations
- 56-57 vs 58-62
- Good Places to Shop or Search?
- Power Glide Automatic so the Wife can drive or Manual for Fun & Investment Value?

I'm in South Eastern Michigan (North of Detroit), so Michigan or Ohio Dealers would be of interest...

Last edited by Kruegmeister; 01-17-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:45 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Kruegmeister
Pretty sure I want Red with White.

- 56-57 vs 58-62
- Good Places to Shop or Search
- Power Glide Automatic so the Wife can drive or Manual for Fun & Investment Value?

I'm in South Eastern Michigan (North of Detroit), so Michigan or Ohio Dealers would be of interest...
I don't know how tall you are but you may want to sit in a 56-57 compared to the later C1's just to compare the room or lack of it. 56-57 are tight. 61-62's have the most room. All are fun.
The following users liked this post:
Kruegmeister (01-25-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 07:10 PM
Kruegmeister
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
I don't know how tall you are but you may want to sit in a 56-57 compared to the later C1's just to compare the room or lack of it. 56-57 are tight. 61-62's have the most room. All are fun.
I am 6'1", my C3 is a bit cramped for me, but I still love it.
Thanks for the info
Old 01-17-2016, 07:21 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

If your not sure about a car or 2, pay an expert to inspect.

Buy the best car you can afford.

Enjoy the search.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:34 PM
Tesch
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in a similar boat as Kruegmeister and a newbie to the forum. Starting my search. I'm most interested in a 59 or 60. Do they have any more room than a 56-57? I'm 6 feet tall. Any information would be appreciated. Thx much! Andy
Old 01-17-2016, 07:40 PM
corvettewill
Le Mans Master

Received 1,044 Likes on 907 Posts

Default shopping for C1

Pretty sure I want Red with White. Black with Silver & Red interior looks intriguing too...

- 56-57 vs 58-62

CarsOnLine is a great website when shopping for Corvettes. You can also try Search Tempest to search all of Craigslist.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:02 PM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

You'll have a tough job finding one in your price range from a dealer. The 56 will not bring the price that a 57 will, so it will be easier to find one from an individual in that range. Just the way it is.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:09 PM
1962sam-ple
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Time and Money

Originally Posted by Geralds57
You'll have a tough job finding one in your price range from a dealer. The 56 will not bring the price that a 57 will, so it will be easier to find one from an individual in that range. Just the way it is.
You can spend a lot of time and money chasing around the country looking at junk. I made some long trips with my suburban and a trailer to a couple of 'done deals' over the internet and when I got there, total misrepresentation. Make sure you do your 'homework'.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:21 PM
stuartc53
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wanted a '57 until I tried to sit in one at a Vette show recently. Not much room between the steering wheel and the seat. It depends on your size. There is considerably more room in the later '58-62 models. Especially the '62. I suggest sitting in few and then decide which is best.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:18 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I am 6'1", my C3 is a bit cramped for me, but I still love it.
Thanks for the info
I'm 6'4" and I have '54 and '57 (and a 1961 and a 1962). I'm good for about 45 minutes in the '54 and '57 and that's it. Very tight.

I daily drove a 1960 while in school and it was tolerable. My '61 and '62 have even more room, and I prefer to spend time in them compared to to all other C1's.

There is a technique to getting in and out. Go in head first facing the passenger's side door...rear end in the air, turn and sit, drag your legs under the steering wheel and sit up. Reverse for exit.

Last edited by Randy G.; 01-17-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:59 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

- 56-57 vs 58-62

Really, the best place to shop is locally, by joining a Corvette Club in the area, and spreading the word that you're looking. If you are patient, you'll be able to connect before too long. Someone in the Club seems to always know of one somewhere.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:13 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by corvetteed
Really, the best place to shop is locally, by joining a Corvette Club in the area, and spreading the word that you're looking. If you are patient, you'll be able to connect before too long. Someone in the Club seems to always know of one somewhere.
A few years ago I was looking for a '59-'60 project car. I looked for a few months on ebay and all the internet sites with no luck. I mentioned my search to a friend in our Corvette club, and he told me his neighbor might have what I was looking for. Turned out that I found exactly what I was looking for only 30 miles from home.

Charles
Old 01-18-2016, 08:33 AM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1962sam-ple
You can spend a lot of time and money chasing around the country looking at junk. I made some long trips with my suburban and a trailer to a couple of 'done deals' over the internet and when I got there, total misrepresentation. Make sure you do your 'homework'.
Do you still have your '62 for sale? Looks to be a pretty fair deal. If I had not bought my '57 a year ago, I'd have seriously looked at yours. Maybe the OP can end his search pretty close to home.

Rich
Old 01-18-2016, 08:37 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'm biased towards the '61/'62 models because I like the ducktail rear end and the absence of grill teeth used on the earlier cars. The '61 in particular because it still has different color coves as an option along with wide whitewall tires and dual quads (all gone in '62); however the '62 did introduce the 327 mill which might be a consideration for you. There were also quite a few of those later cars made so obtaining one shouldn't be that hard to do. '58-'62 share a lot of parts as well so maintaining the cars is a bit easier than the earlier C1s.

My motto is, "I can't abide a powerglide!" They are good transmissions but I just can't countenance them in a Corvette that I own - others may be fine with it. Even with an automatic, wifey may not want to drive an original C1. The center link, king pin, front steering on modern tires can be a handful - particularly in tight spots and the original drum brakes are non self-adjusting and somewhat exciting to drive with in modern traffic.

Having said all that - get some help inspecting the car. I wish I had a dime for every rusted out frame, Bubba-wired, or, crooked front clip car I've seen lately.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:39 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'm 6'4" and I have '54 and '57 (and a 1961 and a 1962). I'm good for about 45 minutes in the '54 and '57 and that's it. Very tight.

I daily drove a 1960 while in school and it was tolerable. My '61 and '62 have even more room, and I prefer to spend time in them compared to to all other C1's.

There is a technique to getting in and out. Go in head first facing the passenger's side door...rear end in the air, turn and sit, drag your legs under the steering wheel and sit up. Reverse for exit.

Is that procedure printed on the sun visor per chance?
Old 01-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

No sunvisors standard until 61
Old 01-18-2016, 09:02 AM
Solid Axle Guy
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I also found that stopping distance is more difficult to control in a powerglide as opposed to manual. I would want disc brakes with a powerglide.

Get notified of new replies

To Starting to shop for a C1, need some advice.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:25 AM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a powerglide car and have none of the complaints above. The stock drum brakes work just fine. I use my car for cruising, I don't abuse it or hot rod it. At my age (64) I like to just tool around in the car. I just sold my 1956 Chevy Belair hot rod with a worked 350 motor and Muncie 4 speed with a 3:70 rear. I let it go because I found that My left knee is getting a little weak now and I was no longer confident working the clutch. No such problems with my 60 powerglide, just get in turn the key and enjoy the ride. BTW As far as resale value, here in NY I have no shortage of offers to purchase every time I take it out.

BTW my wife's 2 top 68 convertible is also an automatic and a blast to drive. She had 3 offers to purchase last summer but refuses to sell it. She is also 64 and loves her Vette (A gift from me).

Don
Old 01-18-2016, 09:26 AM
BobT59
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am 6'1", 210lbs and also use this technique of getting in an out of my '59... might be age related as I am not as flexible as I was many years ago....but once in, I have more than enough room...

btw, as to color, I prefer white w/ red interior....
Attached Images    
Old 01-18-2016, 10:18 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

- 56-57 vs 58-62

Here's my '62:

In the final analysis, you have to buy what's right for you. Finding that out before you buy can be a great way to get acquainted with the different personalities of these cars, and also save yourself some time and money. As far as the earlier 1956-57 cars versus the final 1961-62 cars, the size of the cockpit is much more user-friendly in the later cars. I'm 6' / 215 lbs and my '62 is very comfortable for long cruises - but this may not even be a factor for you. a lot depends on what you intend to do with the car. Drive it? Show it? Both?

While red with white coves (actually Shoreline Beige for the earlier cars) is the "classic" Corvette livery, used in posters and illustrations since forever, there's something to be said for less common combinations. I started out looking for the red & white combo, but once I saw my Fawn Beige 1962, I was sold on it immediately (as was the wife, which didn't hurt). I can't tell you how many times at both large and small car shows, people walked right by the numerous red & white Corvettes to admire mine. You'll know when you see the right one for you.

The Powerglide transmission is kind of a love/hate item. Mine is a 4-speed, as man & God intended (oops, I guess I let my personal preference slip out there a little!). But I will say this: If you have any intention of driving your C1 in parades, Powerglide is definitely the way to go. As others have said, driving a C1 is a very physical experience so just having an automatic transmission may not make it entirely driveable for your wife. Have her try one,if you can find someone who will allow it. May save you some problems later.

I have dealt with both private sellers and dealers over the 44 years and dozen or so Corvettes I have owned. Just be aware that dealers are in it to move the iron and get the most they can for the cars they sell. That doesn't mean there aren't any nice cars at dealers, only that you probably aren't going to find any good buys there. Also as others have said, join your local Corvette Club if you haven't already - these are truly great people who have been right where you are now. They know where any good local cars are.

Finally, relax and enjoy the hunt. It's much more important to get it right than to get it right now. I looked for two years before I found what I knew was the right C1 for me. I love the color, I love the two tops, I love the 327/300, I love the 4-speed . . . I love everything about it. And yes, all the trophies are nice from the shows, but that isn't why I bought it. It makes me smile every time I look at it, and even more every time I drive it.

One more thing: Mine is a matching-numbers, NRCS-correct (as far as I can make it) car. It does have small nicks and dings - many of which only I can see - because I drive it. And I always will. A large part of the joy of owning a C1 Corvette is getting it out there on the road, to enjoy and share with others . . . especially the younger kids. Many times at the gas station I just routinely put the hood up, because I just know someone is going to start asking questions. Don't buy a C1 Corvette if you're not a "people person". A lot of the younger kids start out their questions the same way . . . "Wow, what is THAT?"

Brush up on your history so you can give them good, factual information. They will eat it up, even if they're driving a Subaru with a turbo bigger than the motor, a fart-can exhaust, and an ironing board spoiler on the trunk. Car guys are car guys.

So good luck, get busy beating the bushes. Your Corvette is out there somewhere - go and find it. And be prepared for a smile you won't be able to get off your face with a crowbar.

Last edited by fyreline; 01-18-2016 at 10:19 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fyreline:
Kruegmeister (01-25-2016), rusty50 (01-19-2016)

Quick Reply: Starting to shop for a C1, need some advice.