C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Advantages of a fan clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 02:21 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 334 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Advantages of a fan clutch?

My 55 (283ci with fuel injection) has a 5 bladed fan and clutch which I believe is a a 1959/60. I'm installing a new upper and lower fan shroud, which the car has never had since I have owned it. Since I discovered the fan clutch will not fit in the existing shroud (after I had it restored), I am replacing it with the original 4 bladed fan.

My question is what am I giving up, if anything, by removing the fan clutch and going with he stock fan/shroud? I understand with the clutch the fan doesn't turn as fast, depending upon the temperature, but what does this translate to in terms of performance? Am I better off sticking with the higher tech fan without the shroud?
Old 01-26-2016, 02:47 PM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

While the 5 blade fan will pull more air than a 4 blade, It will not live up to it's full potential without the use of a shroud so you may not lose much by using the 4 blade with a shroud. If you chose to go the 4 blade/shroud route seal around the shroud to insure that your fan pulls max air through the core and not around or under it. Pay attention to the placement of the fan into the shroud. If it is to deep it won't work properly. The fan blades should be sticking out of the shroud about an inch or so. I think you may find that the 4 blade fan sans clutch makes a bit more noise than a clutch fan does. In my 60 I run a 5 blade with clutch and the stock shroud. I took the time to seal off anywhere that air could be drawn into the fan without passing through the core first. Very happy with the results.

Don

Last edited by wraplock; 01-26-2016 at 02:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ktholin (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 03:42 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, although I never had any overheating issues, I think it looks better with the shroud in place. There are some areas I could probably seal on the top and sides (black foam weatherstrip with adhesive?).

I checked the clearance and my fan is perhaps 1 inch outside the shroud so I should be OK. I don't see any way I could adjust it.

Last edited by Ktholin; 01-26-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:43 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

What wraplock said. Always run a shroud with these cars. A fan clutch will free up power and fuel mileage, but also puts more weight on the water pump bearing. I run fan clutches in most of my cars, but always with a shroud. As long as it doesn't overheat with your fixed fan and shroud combo, you'll be just fine.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:45 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GTOguy
What wraplock said. Always run a shroud with these cars. A fan clutch will free up power and fuel mileage, but also puts more weight on the water pump bearing. I run fan clutches in most of my cars, but always with a shroud. As long as it doesn't overheat with your fixed fan and shroud combo, you'll be just fine.
By the way, is there anyway to run a fan clutch with the 4 blade stock fan? I'm not sure its feasible, since the fan would be located well inside the shroud.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:53 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I've never seen a Chevy clutch fan with four blades. That's not to say it couldn't be done but I can't think of a single reason why you would want to invest the time and money?
Old 01-26-2016, 03:58 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

A fan clutch will let your accelerate faster, if the clutch isn't locked up. Less rotating mass to spool up.

This was readily apparent on my 4.3L V-6 S-10, the truck was freakin dog when the clutch had locked up, it felt like i had an extra 700 pounds in the back.

Doug
Old 01-26-2016, 04:25 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by wraplock
I think you may find that the 4 blade fan sans clutch makes a bit more noise than a clutch fan does.
The 4 blade fan and no clutch absolutely does make more noise.

I added a 5 blade fan and a clutch to my bride's '59 (which previously had the 4 blade and no clutch). The reduction in engine noise was dramatic! Nothing subtle about it.

Jim
Old 01-26-2016, 04:30 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
The 4 blade fan and no clutch absolutely does make more noise.

I added a 5 blade fan and a clutch to my bride's '59 (which previously had the 4 blade and no clutch). The reduction in engine noise was dramatic! Nothing subtle about it.

Jim
Well, I guess i'll find out this weekend when I get it running again. Like I said, I really didn't have overheating issues without the shroud and the 5 bladed fan.

I wonder if I could fit a 59 or 60 fan shroud to accommodate the 5 bladed clutch fan I have. Not sure about the clearance with my 55.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:35 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I run a fan with a fan clutch eliminator (see red arrow) on my otherwise stock '61 with no ill effects; put it on 6 years ago and run in Orlando heat with zero problems.
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2016, 05:54 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I run a fan with a fan clutch eliminator (see red arrow) on my otherwise stock '61 with no ill effects; put it on 6 years ago and run in Orlando heat with zero problems.
OK, I'll bite. What's a fan clutch eliminator, or is it self-explanatory?
Old 01-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Its basically a spacer that directly drives the fan (show above)..
Old 01-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Its basically a spacer that directly drives the fan (show above)..
OK, that's what I thought. No fan clutch, just a spacer to achieve the proper fan depth in the shroud.

Get notified of new replies

To Advantages of a fan clutch?

Quick Reply: Advantages of a fan clutch?