C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Soft Top Replacement... AFTER frame restore

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Top is now on the rear bow... Tomorrow I'll stick it all back on the car. Crossed my fingers, but I don't want to jinx it!
Old 02-07-2016, 02:49 PM
veeeight
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a soft top delete car from CA and decided to install a soft top and frame from scratch. Just like you, I watched the AL video about 20 times before attempting the job.
If possible get somebody to help you install the soft top on the frame as there are times when two brains and four hands are very useful.
It took us 4 to 5 days in total to finish the job and we were pleased with the result. It's not a difficult job but not the easiest either.
Just take your time and don't do anything without thinking twice before you do it.
A really good tip is to use stainless steel staples as these will not rust and cause marks on the top over time.
Good luck.

Last edited by veeeight; 02-07-2016 at 02:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
marshal135 (10-18-2023)
Old 02-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Thanks for the encouragement Veeeight. I needed my wife and daughter's help to stretch the top over the rear bow once I started seating it in the groove. That was a bear as well... not as all as simple as the video make it look (I am talking just the top, not the black weather strip that "locks it in".

I'll do a full report on my struggles once I am done!
Old 02-08-2016, 06:01 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

its really starting to look like a proper top! (I just laid it back on the car)

Last edited by Revfan; 02-27-2016 at 12:47 PM.
marshal135 (02-09-2024)
Old 02-08-2016, 07:11 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
Thanks!

I followed you instructions and got the top on the bow... now its time to get the ws in the groove!
If you followed my instructions then you should already have it started. Use a flat blade screwdriver and make the fabric is tucked all the way back under the groove. Also, add a little WD-40 to the plastic filler.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:20 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

I should have been a bit more clear.

I got the top on AND the weatherstrip on the rear bow.
I have moved the bow back to the car.

Nowhere in the video does it mention what to do with any top material (and ITS hold in chord) that runs past the end of the rear bow. That is what i was trying to show in the first pic in post 24. You can see the bit of top material and its white hold in chord sticking out. This bit of material is interfering with the attachment of the WS end piece.

Do i clip it back?

In this pic,
Old 02-08-2016, 07:34 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Revfan
I should have been a bit more clear.

I got the top on AND the weatherstrip on the rear bow.
I have moved the bow back to the car.

Nowhere in the video does it mention what to do with any top material (and ITS hold in chord) that runs past the end of the rear bow. That is what i was trying to show in the first pic in post 24. You can see the bit of top material and its white hold in chord sticking out. This bit of material is interfering with the attachment of the WS end piece.

Do i clip it back?

In this pic,
The small w/s piece should go under the material and chord. I would trim off the chord even with the material. The w/s attaches to t he end of the bow with a small screw (6-32 x 1/4" I think). The other end with two holes attached to the vertical bow with a sheet metal screw under the w/s. The w/s stud goes thru the other hole. Attaching the small screw to the end of the latch bow is much easier with the bow on the bench. However, it can be done with it installed.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:07 AM
veeeight
Instructor

If you trial fit the small w/s to the end of the bow you will see where you need to cut the cord and bow weatherstrip.
Otherwise your looking good. Useful to have two of you when streaching the top over the front bow as it need quite a good pull and as straight as possible.

Last edited by veeeight; 02-09-2016 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:41 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Finally!

Its all together!

Last edited by Revfan; 02-27-2016 at 12:48 PM.
marshal135 (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2016, 07:07 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

No, Don't trim that flap. Leave it as it is. The w/s screws into the hole that you can see in your pic. It should not interfere if you are installing it the correct way. Did you notice that there is a L and R on the small w/s?
Maybe you have them on the wrong side. From what I can see you have it installed correctly so far.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:49 AM
veeeight
Instructor

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
No, Don't trim that flap. Leave it as it is. The w/s screws into the hole that you can see in your pic. It should not interfere if you are installing it the correct way. Did you notice that there is a L and R on the small w/s?
Maybe you have them on the wrong side. From what I can see you have it installed correctly so far.
GOOD ADVICE
Old 11-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Darryl Dodd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
The one in the picture screws to the front of the rear bow on the passenger side. The screws are sometimes broken off in the bow and need to be drilled out. The round part of that piece slips into the weatherstripping on the rear bow.
ken where can I find those tiny screws? What does the other metal tab attach to?
Thanks Darryl
Old 11-18-2018, 06:49 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 648 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Darryl Dodd

ken where can I find those tiny screws? What does the other metal tab attach to?
Thanks Darryl
Its either a #4 or #6 machine screw. 1/4" long is all you need. Local HD or Lowes should have them, or hardware store maybe. Also check the catalog houses.
The other tab gets same size screw and bolts to the same rear aluminum bow.

Quick Reply: C2 Soft Top Replacement... AFTER frame restore