C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Some questions for you '63 owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:55 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,121 Likes on 576 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I'm "persona non grata" at that "other" web site. I dared to delve into the 63 judging protocol and there may even be a contract out on me
Frankie, you should have talked to Critter before raising those issues over there. Can't win that battle
Old 02-03-2016, 09:29 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by tbarb
Frank,

The mufflers got a ground strap late in the year, but I think ALL had the solid wide copper sheet riveted in front of the rubber on both sides. Go over to the NCRS and do a search.
I think you are absolutely correct. I don't think the separate braided ground strap was ever used in place of the brass strip in the muffler hanger.

The 63 AIM does show the change to the braided strap but there are several very late production cars that have the brass sheet style hanger. One of those was one of my 63's that still had all original exhaust front to rear and the car was a late July 63 build. Another was a California car that was in the 21,400 VIN range.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:41 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

I'm "persona non grata" at that "other" web site. I dared to delve into the 63 judging protocol and there may even be a contract out on me
I have never seen a thread locked down "over there"
.........but Frankie managed to do it
The following users liked this post:
mikelj (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 06:26 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
I have never seen a thread locked down "over there"
.........but Frankie managed to do it
Haven't even been back on the NCRS site in a week or so.

I thought I was civil in my inquires, and complimentary about the NCRS and judging in general, I just asked a simple question about scores on my judging sheet.

I think I hit a nerve on some issues that had been at a slow boil with the membership anyway so things went off the tracks pretty fast...I backed out when that started up. I question how I would do in future judging after I kicked that hornet's nest.

Luckily, I'm not all that 'invested' in the whole NCRS/judging venue. I did it, got my award, enjoyed a different aspect of the hobby. So, I'm correcting what was found (and that I agreed with) and now back to putting my LED lights and Bluetooth radio back in the car.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-04-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:00 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,976 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Frankie: a "teachable moment" for you. Now put your very nice car into the condition you wish to have it and enjoy the ride(s).
Old 02-04-2016, 09:56 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,273 Likes on 1,691 Posts

If you want your car to be a documented Top Flight car, spend some time with your buddy Rich M and learn from him what minor tweeks you can make and other things you can do to score over 94% with your car in 2017. Do this face to face, or over the phone. Do not run all your questions out onto the world wide web seeking advice. You will be a more happy camper. And, there is no contract out on you, and you are not persona non grata on the other side. You are the one who said you were taking your ball and going home.
The following users liked this post:
mikelj (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 65hihp
If you want your car to be a documented Top Flight car, spend some time with your buddy Rich M and learn from him what minor tweeks you can make and other things you can do to score over 94% with your car in 2017. Do this face to face, or over the phone. Do not run all your questions out onto the world wide web seeking advice. You will be a more happy camper. And, there is no contract out on you, and you are not persona non grata on the other side. You are the one who said you were taking your ball and going home.
Who said that's what I want ? I've been busily putting all the stuff back on the car I removed for judging so it will once again be a safe and reliable driver...

Which makes all of the other advice a moot point..

And, OBTW, you don't know some of the very, shall we say "pointed", PMs I got from that "other site" so you don't have a clue why I bailed.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-04-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:53 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

I had a similar experience on the "other board" a number of years ago where I questioned a practice. Still adhere to the judging but gave up my membership quietly. The Michigan Chapter president (good friend) has pressured me to join them but you have to be a national member.
Rick
Old 02-04-2016, 01:27 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Who said that's what I want ? I've been busily putting all the stuff back on the car I removed for judging so it will once again be a safe and reliable driver...

Which makes all of the other advice a moot point..

And, OBTW, you don't know some of the very, shall we say "pointed", PMs I got from that "other site" so you don't have a clue why I bailed.

well,
actually yes I do know why you bailed, because I got some PMs too. (the internet community is a very chatty place...)
And several of your posts on the other side strongly implied if not explicitly said that you wanted to know what the ground rules were so that your car might fare better if there was a next time.
Additionally, many of us have mid-years that have been judged without ever having been undone, and redone into completely different cars and they ARE safe and reliable drivers. Just saying.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:41 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

This thread is starting to remind me of the old Yogi Bera malapropism - "It's deja vu all over again"
Old 02-04-2016, 02:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Gone way off topic....thanks to those who responded to the heat shield and bumper spacer questions. As always, I am in their debt. I have everything I needed to know now!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:51 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Wow! An amazing thread for sure……...
Old 02-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Haven't even been back on the NCRS site in a week or so.

I thought I was civil in my inquires, and complimentary about the NCRS and judging in general, I just asked a simple question about scores on my judging sheet.

I think I hit a nerve on some issues that had been at a slow boil with the membership anyway so things went off the tracks pretty fast...I backed out when that started up. I question how I would do in future judging after I kicked that hornet's nest.

Luckily, I'm not all that 'invested' in the whole NCRS/judging venue. I did it, got my award, enjoyed a different aspect of the hobby. So, I'm correcting what was found (and that I agreed with) and now back to putting my LED lights and Bluetooth radio back in the car.
You have a ways to go to catch up to me. I was banned from that board two or three times before I finally received a 99 year suspension for voicing my opining of the accuracy of that 63 manual and it's creator. LOL

I was eventually forgiven but I still don't go there.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:15 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

would love to see you come back. Several of us would welcome you with open arms.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Critter1
You have a ways to go to catch up to me. I was banned from that board two or three times before I finally received a 99 year suspension for voicing my opining of the accuracy of that 63 manual and it's creator. LOL

I was eventually forgiven but I still don't go there.
I sincerely tried to get a simple question answered over "there" - I won't rehash it here. Many old and new friends supported my inquiry. Some (many?) of the "old guard" were incensed that I would bring this up publicly. Yes, I could have knuckled under, stayed quiet and humbly get my TF next year -- it means less and less to me now that I've seen the process first hand, for 63/64 cars particularly (and you know what I mean Critter)... Even with its faults the judging is beneficial IMO.

Let me repeat: I had fun, enjoyed the comradeship, learned a lot and am happy with a regional Second Flight for a never-before-judged, highly-driven, modified car. I think I've gotten the whole judging thing out of my system now..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-05-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:39 PM
Bunk
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelj
Wow! An amazing thread for sure……...
Totally boring read between the unsaid lines thread. Waste of time really as it was meant to be.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:35 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Funny thing about web sites -- you can stop reading any ole time you care to...

Get notified of new replies

To Some questions for you '63 owners

Old 02-09-2016, 11:02 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Old 02-09-2016, 11:42 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Spot on John. I can see the bumpers are deformed. I'll have to finagle things somehow.
Buba fit it cut the edge off slide it under bolts .
It gets to the point where by doing the correct thing you can damage other areas, I have been to that point several times .
Old 02-09-2016, 12:00 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

FYI - I got the 63 only rear exhaust shields from Long Island and mounted them with repro exhaust tips - those worked just fine...

Quick Reply: Some questions for you '63 owners