C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 07:44 AM
Govoni Farm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions please

Good morning everyone. I am thinking of buying a complete tri-power system for my 67 L71 from Cranes Corvette. Any feedback on quality of merchandise or experiences dealing with him? I've never bought anything from him before. This forum has been very helpful to me in the past and I appreciate any feedback! Thanks so much!

John
Old 02-07-2016, 07:48 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

He earned a nickname of crazy David Crane for a reason. I never dealt with him but I do know his prices are high even in the Corvette world.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:18 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

He has what most don't. His prices are generally (very) high. He has many happy customers..........and a few unhappy ones. He is also one of only a few in the US that is stamping new Holley carburetors with the older dates.

A reproduction manifold and correctly dated new reproduction carb set are currently available. David probably has both the reproductions and used originals. Know the differences before you buy, so you get what you really wanted.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 02-07-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:19 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I have never purchased anything from him, you are not the first to ask this same question. I have heard on here both positive and negative. Try the search engine, should be some information....
Old 02-07-2016, 12:11 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I've dealt with David. He's a very shrewd businessman, not always warm and fuzzy, but he's got all the hard to find big dollar stuff (and knows what it's worth). Just make sure you do your homework and know exactly what you're looking for before handing over the cash. What you don't know can hurt you.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:27 AM
Govoni Farm
Advanced

I want to thank Nowhere Man, Powershift Larry, OldKarz and SW Vette for the feed back about Crane's Corvette. I rely on the Forum for a lot of helpful info. Thanks again I really appreciate. John
Old 02-08-2016, 08:43 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've bought some inexpensive items from him as he was the cheapest, no problems.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:52 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I got my order and it was what I ordered. Let's just say that communication is not his strong suit.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:37 PM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Let's just say that communication is not his strong suit.

Thats for sure, very knowledgeable and has ALOT of hard to find stuff but has little patience for chit chat.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:40 PM
Govoni Farm
Advanced

Hi I have a 67 vette with the turbine bolt on rims. Did GM make a special tool to remove the starburst hubcaps without scratching the hell out of rims? Is there a repo or aftermarket tool out there. Thanks for your time. John
Old 01-06-2017, 02:52 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

The special Irwin Screwdriver that came in all 67s with the Special Aluminum wheels RPO.
You would be better served to start a new thread titled to address this question.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:08 PM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default cranes experiance

I had David acid tumble MY L-71 intake...was done very nice...did buy a set of new Holley carbs and fuel lines and new air cleaner top and base.return spring,and wing nut.

as stated by others...communication was there but not what Im used to when buying Corvette parts ...but was happy with what I received...was packaged well and would consider him again...but buyer must be specific and know the finer details....as to a complete L-71 set up??

there is original used and refurbished ones(square port intakes)...

67's are unique to that year...as 68 and up are different (lower profile and some subtle differences)and some reproductions offered there..casting dates are located on the underneath side of the manifold

Originally Posted by Govoni Farm
Good morning everyone. I am thinking of buying a complete tri-power system for my 67 L71 from Cranes Corvette. Any feedback on quality of merchandise or experiences dealing with him? I've never bought anything from him before. This forum has been very helpful to me in the past and I appreciate any feedback! Thanks so much!

John
Old 01-07-2017, 10:43 AM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Frankly I would purchase original parts and build your own tri power setup. Good original parts that are correctly rebuilt and assembled will perform just as well if not better than the repro units. And they will hold their value should you ever decide to go in a different direction with the project.

Best,
Dave
Old 01-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Govoni Farm
Advanced

Originally Posted by MosportGreen66
Frankly I would purchase original parts and build your own tri power setup. Good original parts that are correctly rebuilt and assembled will perform just as well if not better than the repro units. And they will hold their value should you ever decide to go in a different direction with the project.

Best,
Dave
Dave, thanks for the info and suggestions. I appreciate it. John
Old 01-08-2017, 03:52 PM
Dave Cunningham
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought quite a few things from David for my 67 , including a complete tripower system, I found him very hard to deal with, and the prices are definitely up there , but unfortunately he has all the hard to find stuff.
One thing to remember is that the new carbs from Holley do not have the correct " gold" finish on them like they did back in the day, and will not pass NCRS judging. All in all , David is very strange to deal with but everything I ordered did come as described.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:58 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dave Cunningham
I bought quite a few things from David for my 67 , including a complete tripower system, I found him very hard to deal with, and the prices are definitely up there , but unfortunately he has all the hard to find stuff.
One thing to remember is that the new carbs from Holley do not have the correct " gold" finish on them like they did back in the day, and will not pass NCRS judging. All in all , David is very strange to deal with but everything I ordered did come as described.
there are plenty of other people who have hard to find parts.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:08 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
and are a lot easier to deal with!

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions please

Old 01-08-2017, 04:14 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by provette67
and are a lot easier to deal with!
I did a tri power conversion and never had to deal with him. only crossed my mind once. then thought better
Old 01-08-2017, 05:29 PM
Govoni Farm
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dave Cunningham
Thanks for your input Dave. John
Old 01-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Govoni Farm
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Do you have names and addresses. Thanks John

Quick Reply: Opinions please