C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

62 original equipment fuel injection question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 12:39 PM
bigbrakebob
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I see from your posts here so far, you seem to be interested in the $$$$$ aspect of Corvettes?

I am more of a hobbyist and admirer of old cars. I don't buy sell much. Just collect. I don't care about all this "born with" stuff but having all the correct pieces for some certain model is important to me. Doesn't matter when it got installed, or where.

I personally feel like refusing to help someone with their car because they want to play Dick Tracy or Sam Sneed is just plain rude! And snobbish.

"Born with mentality" will cost you a lot of money but it doesn't give me any personal satisfaction or motivation to pay a premium. There some here like me. Some like you.

Even on a garden tractor forum I visit, there are people that go crazy over restored originality so it's not limited to just Corvette or Camaro. forums.
Mike, you dont know me, so dont assume you do. I collect cars because I like them. I got my first solid axle out of the san jose paper as a plain old 61. Went to look at it, and it turned out to be a survivor big brake. I did not know what it was, nor did the owner. Bought it because I liked it. I personally like the little hubcaps and the complexity of the braking system. Nothing more nothing less. The personal attacks are not cool when you dont know the other person. You could have said, hey bob, thats not the way things roll here, and leave it at that.

I have a lot of parts to sell, as I had parts collectors sell me all their stuff because one of their wives got cancer, and the other got out of big brake stuff all together went into realestate. I was at their houses looking for one part, and it turned into, hey buy everything. They liked me and sold me all their stuff, maybe because they liked me (I assumed) or I was an idiot. One was a neighbor. So am I about the money on this stuff, hell yeah, been moving the stuff around for years, and now I am tired of it. I let ONE guy see my stuff when I got back to chicago from california, Lou grovner from corvette city, and he ripped me off on a super rare part and provided me with an incorrect NOS part in trade. Took me a yr to resolve that. My first experience out of the gate sucked, selling based on a trust factor. So now, I got to start high, as I cant trust too many, based on that experience. I get critized here on this forum for asking too much on stuff I dont know what its worth, I get my stuff called junk, and so on. Shame on me I guess for asking what something is worth, if I am all about the money. You drag this crap across the country from california to chicago, and tell me if you are inclined to give it away. I doubt you would.

As a point of why it may be nice to keep original cars, true to what they are, I remember a couple buying a 62 fuelie at mecum some years back. They were so happy they scored a real fuelie. I think they got it for 55K. So after they got out in the sold parking lot much later, a lot of jerky guys could not wait to tell them their car was a fake. It had a wrong stamp, the core support was wrong, all kinds of stuff. I remember the wife just clutching her purse, somewhat in tears, on what her husband had done. I told her, as I saw this from the circus from a distance, that all this can be fixed, but next time have the car checked out, they still got a good car, but these people ruined their experience. I said they still got a good buy, regardless. See, I am not into the money, I am into what is fair, and I dont like seeing people screwed, like this couple that bought a car, advertised as something it was not. This is what I dont stand for. If you make a clone, then call it a clone.

I have 2 fuelie survivors and one restored 30K mile fuelie ex race car, and could have helped on this thread. I would have asked for a picture of the core support, and said (good or no good). Then move on to other things, from there, just from pictures submitted. I would not bash the car either, all 62s are nice!. Would I say how to correct something, no (sorry). I would add up all the observations and provide an opinion. I would have to know that the guy doing the thread owns the car (not a restorer) and/or the VIN. Right now on this thread, you dont know the car's owner nor the VIN.

Last edited by bigbrakebob; 02-08-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:41 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Oh ya, I forgot to mention, FI cars have the windshield washer container on the passenger side, with a heat shield.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:47 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbrakebob

Dont ask me for help in making your clone.
I don't know you, just commenting on your posts to date here. All about $$$$$$$.

So, you really are one of them, eh? Thanks.

Now don't ask me for help pricing your parts so someone else can create a clone. You should sell your stuff for scrap and get it off the market if you feel that way. Get my drift?

Last edited by MikeM; 02-08-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:24 PM
bigbrakebob
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikeM
I don't know you, just commenting on your posts to date here. All about $$$$$$$.

So, you really are one of them, eh? Thanks.

Now don't ask me for help pricing your parts so someone else can create a clone. You should sell your stuff for scrap and get it off the market if you feel that way. Get my drift?
I believe this is a forum of many folk's inputs, you can refrain from now on, adding to mine, I am sure I will stay way the hell away from yours (my way or the highway). Yes, let me scrap my parts, I'll get right on that. I got one guy with a factory race car looking at the 59 fuel injection and the NOS hubcaps, another guy with an early 57 wanting to put the correct 3 speed in it vs the wrong 4spd, not everything I have goes to the mentality of making a clone. One guy has 2 57 vettes and a 56 and he wants original doors. One guy that is battling cancer, with a 57 I have helped him make a dual quad setup for cheap, by reusing his existing 4brl and another spare he has, and I sold him a mint dual quad manifold for close to nothing. If it does not work out, he can send the manifold back, its all in his carb guys hands. He could have spent $3K and now he is into his project for hundreds. I helped him with the linkage and how to set this up, him using his carb shop, and pointing out where to get what he needs. His engine stamp will never match what is on his car, nor will the carb setup be numbers correct, in this case, who cares. I hope this stuff goes back on some real cars, but its nice so far it may be, some wont.

Last edited by bigbrakebob; 02-08-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:39 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bigbrakebob
\

I hope this stuff goes back on some real cars, but its nice so far it may be.
You are trying to help create clones as you profit from your parts. I want nothing more to do with your pricing of parts. Those parts didn't come on those cars. Just wonder if the new owners will be advised the car they just bought had a door knocked off or in the case of the race car, a hacked up body put back together with new/used parts?

No diferent than all the '63 parts I had collected and I threw together and made my '63 FI convertible. All original, real parts in one pile and I didn't have to ask anyone how to do it.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:20 PM
gmonde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

wow sorry for stirring pot! just wanted to find out what I had, just learned that injection set up is a 1965 not a 62 ,, so not to worry you wont see at barrett Jackson impersonating a fuelie vette and ron pratt as high bidder ,, thanks to the people who responded with the information to decode what it truly is right now its a dual quad
Old 02-08-2016, 09:17 PM
bigbrakebob
Advanced

Originally Posted by gmonde
wow sorry for stirring pot! just wanted to find out what I had, just learned that injection set up is a 1965 not a 62 ,, so not to worry you wont see at barrett Jackson impersonating a fuelie vette and ron pratt as high bidder ,, thanks to the people who responded with the information to decode what it truly is right now its a dual quad
Good luck with your customer's car, I said up front, I was new to this forum. Pot would have gotten stirred anyways, either now or later. Sorry it took away from your thread.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:14 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

.. just learned that injection set up is a 1965 not a 62
How much for the '65 FI you can't use?
Old 02-09-2016, 05:22 PM
bigbrakebob
Advanced

I noticed you said it would be a dual quad, and nobody responded to that. I think you meant a 340 single 4brl or something like that.

If it has the high horse tach, it could be a 340. Another item to look for is the rear axle ratio. Generally the 4:10 like rear end would be in a high horse version. Or if you find a metallic brake code, its another thing that hugs a high horse version, rather than the lower horse version. I dont think its definite proof, but it can help.

If you find a wide wheel in the trunk (small hubcap), or if the small cap is missing, it will have no nubs, it would help certify its a 340 car, if dated to the car within reason. Those are worth a fortune if there is one in there. I have found more than 2 cars with their original wide wheels in the trunk, so never say never.

If you have the original generator by dumb luck, that is another thing that can maybe help decipher it was a 340. I would need to check on that one.

If you are short transmissions, I have a few 62s. One is an undated case.

Last edited by bigbrakebob; 02-09-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:10 PM
gmonde
Instructor

I am pretty sure it was the higher horse power car ,, the car has a dual quad set up ,, low rise edelbrock set up,, the customer wants it the way his dad had it back in the day,, these guys remember there dad burning rubber, going to the grocery store ,, that is cool stuff ,,, trans looks real good,, weber aluminum flywheel, an aluminum blow shield (thick as hell and says NHRA approved )
Old 02-09-2016, 09:14 PM
gmonde
Instructor

web site updated www.gmondeperformance.com
Old 02-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

MikeM wants to buy yours; sell it to him & buy my 7360FI (1962) in C1/C2 "Parts for Sale"

Cruz
Old 02-10-2016, 12:23 PM
bigbrakebob
Advanced

I checked out your website, I like the AMX!

I was at a guys house last night, that had a 59 corvette race car, and he had those aluminum bellhousings that are thick. He told me they could be very rare. One actually fit over the stock one, and another looked just like the original (but was a rare aluminum version). Its nice that you are putting that back on.

It having all that cool stuff back in the day, is the way it should go back. Does he have any pictures of it back in the day? With a 4:56, he had to be drag racing with it. I will keep a check on your website for progress.

I looked at the fresh rebuild of that 65 block. I would not be surprised that is the 65 fuelie block that went with that unit you have. If the numbers were still on the pad, you could google the VIN, and maybe reunite it with its original car for a handsome sum. Or atleast hunt for the car based on the VIN. I would hold on to the fuelie unit, until I did that, as you could potentially reunite the whole thing back with the original ride.

My kids I hope hang on to one of my cars like the owner of this car. One can only hope.

Last edited by bigbrakebob; 02-10-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:25 PM
gmonde
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cruzmeisters
MikeM wants to buy yours; sell it to him & buy my 7360FI (1962) in C1/C2 "Parts for Sale"

Cruz
I will check with owner maybe we can make it happen ,, gmonde
Old 02-10-2016, 08:50 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

If it was (is) a original FI car the washer tank and pump would not been the drivers side, where I can see it in the picture.
Bruce b

Quick Reply: 62 original equipment fuel injection question