C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

ebay scam buyers

Old 02-09-2016, 12:09 AM
Solid Axle Guy
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ebay scam buyers

Is anyone having any scam buyers trying to scam you out of $? This has happened to me twice now in the last month or so. I list a part for sale on ebay. Auction ends. Winning "buyer" fails to pay. "Buyer" lets a couple of weeks go by & then asks to receive a refund claiming they paid for item. Seller beware. Watch out guys. There are scammers every where.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:32 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If those scam emails are sending you a link to an eBay web site to log in and respond to their claim - DON'T DO IT. That is a phishing scheme to capture your eBay user-id/password which is the real payoff for them.

Log in to eBay separately, typing it in or via your own bookmark in your browser of choice to deal with things.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:54 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

They "offer" you a distraction but are actually after something else...
Old 02-09-2016, 08:21 AM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

after a week of no contact, I open a non paying bidder dispute, this way they either pay through eBay, or you case is closed in your favor and your selling fees refunded. this also keeps non paying bidders from threatening bad feedback.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:03 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

It can also happen with PayPal payments. I've received two very official looking emails recently with proper logos, etc saying a security check of my account is needed because a hacking attempt has been made. I need to reset my account. When you go to the link it asks for credit card, bank and Social Security number among other things to reestablish your account. Looking into it further I noticed the email address was Paypal.com not the real address of PayPal.com. A missing capital "P" could cause you much trouble.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:14 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dkleather
It can also happen with PayPal payments. I've received two very official looking emails recently with proper logos, etc saying a security check of my account is needed because a hacking attempt has been made. I need to reset my account. When you go to the link it asks for credit card, bank and Social Security number among other things to reestablish your account. Looking into it further I noticed the email address was Paypal.com not the real address of PayPal.com. A missing capital "P" could cause you much trouble.
Never ever, ever hit the link in those supposed "reset your account" emails, as Frankie said. They are looking to get your information and steal your identity, or the link will take you to a website that will plant a virus on your computer and steal your information that way. When I get those, I delete them immediately, and if I'm concerned, I log into ebay or PayPal or whatever from a trusted link or type it into my browser, and 100% of the time, there is nothing wrong with my account.

Scammers are everywhere these days. Be cautious; be very, very cautious.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:17 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

No matter how I type it (all lowercase, all uppercase, capital "P's"), my browser changes it to paypal.com

-- Steve

Last edited by RatDog; 02-09-2016 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-09-2016, 10:38 AM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Ebay recommends to report a fake email, forward it to spoof@ebay.com
Old 02-09-2016, 12:33 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Not to hi-jack but here's what happened to me.

This type of thing happens on forums also. I advertised a rear spring with shackles for a 32 ford on the Hotrodders Forum. It sat for two months or so before a guy out of NJ wrote to me about purchasing it. He asked how old the spring was, if it was original or not and how much I wanted for it. I gave him all the information he asked for and added that there would be shipping on the item. He said he would buy the unit but that he would take care of the shipping. The next thing I got from him was an e-mail saying that he sent a check for the amount of the spring, plus the shipping and $50.00 for my inconvenience. He stated that I was to call his shipping company (a personal friend of his) and pay them when they came to pick up the spring, etc. I started to check a few things. The shipping company was out of Ohio. His address listed in the e-mails was in NJ and the spring was to be shipped to a place in Oklahoma. I shut it down right there by writing an e-mail to this person saying it was a scam and I would not honor anything on this purchase any longer. I returned his check to him without opening the envelope.

My take was that the check would take a while to clear and that if I did as directed I would be out the money in paying for the shipping out of my pocket and they would still have the spring as it would have shipped prior to the check being set up for a stop payment on the other end.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:24 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

It's not just those sites, it's all of them. I've had the same attempt posing as Apple and several Real Estate companies in various states re: recent property purchase closing fees needed.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:03 PM
TNVettGuy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

When I see those, I just go to Ebay and type in my username: TNvetteguy and my password: C0rve$$e and log in manually. I would NEVER show anyone my username and password. That would be just down right stupid.

:-)

Last edited by TNVettGuy; 02-09-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by TNVettGuy
When I see those, I just go to Ebay and type in my username: TNvetteguy and my password: C0rve$$e and log in manually. I would NEVER show anyone my username and password. That would be just down right stupid.

:-)
Now that's dang funny

The biggest scam going is the default installation of Windows 10...if you don't spend an hour or so re-configuring it its about as secure as a screen door in a submarine
Old 02-09-2016, 06:47 PM
bigbrakebob
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Axle Guy
Is anyone having any scam buyers trying to scam you out of $? This has happened to me twice now in the last month or so. I list a part for sale on ebay. Auction ends. Winning "buyer" fails to pay. "Buyer" lets a couple of weeks go by & then asks to receive a refund claiming they paid for item. Seller beware. Watch out guys. There are scammers every where.
Maybe a way around this is to allow only bidders with a certain rating. That is my takeaway on this. Scammers have to have no bid history. I have not been hit, but dont want to be in the future. I just sold something the other day and it went well. I am setting a minimum rating from now on.

If you guys ever want to scrub your pc, try superantispyware, its free. The company I work for uses it, the free one off the net. It gets all the junk off of it. I run Norton fulltime anyways, but you have to run this too.

If any window pops up, just close all the way out of your browser. Dont hit anything, just control alt delete, get the task window, and close out the bad apps that got on your machine, if that happens. I feel sorry for anyone falling for these bogus things that pop up.

Last edited by bigbrakebob; 02-09-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:13 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Face Facts, the ONLY thing E-Bay knows about Customer Service is how to spell the words, and then only to assist the seller in "Servicing" you out of your $$$ so they can get their share.

Last edited by desertpilgrim; 02-09-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:22 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

don't use ebay and that solves my problem, i like to offer here or local sale or keep.
The following users liked this post:
TNVettGuy (02-09-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 08:04 AM
DomL64
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

I didn't read down more, so, there might be another response to you, but, if you used their link that already have your info and passwords.
Change them IMMEDIATELY ! Never EVER use someone's link.
dkleather (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 08:19 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
No matter how I type it (all lowercase, all uppercase, capital "P's"), my browser changes it to paypal.com

-- Steve
That is correct, the capitalization is not a factor in web site address like it is in passwords.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:32 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by DomL64
I didn't read down more, so, there might be another response to you, but, if you used their link that already have your info and passwords.
Change them IMMEDIATELY ! Never EVER use someone's link.
Not immediately.

Do a deep virus scan first...those false links can entice you to install a 'key logger' on your system that will capture your newly changed id/password info as you type it in and forward it to the scammer...

After the virus scan, then, change your potentially compromised password

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-10-2016 at 08:36 AM.
dkleather (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 12:14 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Not immediately.

Do a deep virus scan first...those false links can entice you to install a 'key logger' on your system that will capture your newly changed id/password info as you type it in and forward it to the scammer...

After the virus scan, then, change your potentially compromised password
Excellent advice!

Get notified of new replies

To ebay scam buyers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ebay scam buyers