C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Replacement Clutch

Old 02-09-2016, 06:59 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Replacement Clutch

My clutch needs to be replaced due to a leaking tranny, so I've been reading up on clutches here in this forum. I just want a stock clutch, no high performance. My engine is a '69 stock 350 out of a C10 pickup truck. My current pressure plate is a three finger.
Have some questions:

1. From reading the forum, I need a stock 10.4" clutch, but O'Reilly & Autozone only have 11 & 12" clutches. Do they just call a 10.4" an 11"? If not, where do I get a 10.4"?

2. Is PowerTorque a good brand? USA made?

3. RockAuto has AMS Automotive & Exedy brands. Any good?

4. Do I need a three finger or diaphragm style pressure plate?

5. If I get the entire stock PowerTorque 11" clutch kit, is everything included going to work in my engine?

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-09-2016, 07:58 AM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver
My clutch needs to be replaced due to a leaking tranny, so I've been reading up on clutches here in this forum. I just want a stock clutch, no high performance. My engine is a '69 stock 350 out of a C10 pickup truck. My current pressure plate is a three finger.
Have some questions:

1. From reading the forum, I need a stock 10.4" clutch, but O'Reilly & Autozone only have 11 & 12" clutches. Do they just call a 10.4" an 11"? If not, where do I get a 10.4"?

2. Is PowerTorque a good brand? USA made?

3. RockAuto has AMS Automotive & Exedy brands. Any good?

4. Do I need a three finger or diaphragm style pressure plate?

5. If I get the entire stock PowerTorque 11" clutch kit, is everything included going to work in my engine?

Thanks in advance...
NAPA sells a 10.4" (10 3/8") set up. It's in a NAPA box, but is really a LUK clutch kit with everything you need, pressure plate, clutch plate, throughout bearing and alignment tool.

That's what I used on my 1960 and 1966. Research LUK and you should see many good recommendations.

Don
Old 02-09-2016, 08:45 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,324 Likes on 957 Posts

Default Clutch

Your car came stock with a diaphragm type pressure plate. The three finger type are really designed for racing applications. Your left foot will thank you with a stock type plate. I would also consider balancing the assembly while everything is apart. Lastly, check the starter ring gear for any missing or worn teeth. Now is the time! Good luck with your install. Jerry
Old 02-09-2016, 09:11 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Before you buy anything, you need to find out what size PP, what size flywheel and what bellhousing you are using.

The 153 tooth flywheel used either a 10 or a 10.4 inch clutch disc with a diaphragm clutch. Drilling for the pressure plate was the same for either.

The 168 tooth flywheel used either a 10 or 11 inch clutch disc. Also came either three finger for a '59 or diaphagm in later years.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:01 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Which bell housing do you have?

If the last three digits of the casting number are 621, you need the 11" clutch. If the last three numbers are 383 (or possibly 403), you have the smaller flywheel and will want the 10.4" clutch.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:11 AM
oldpainter
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts

If you have torn apart, you might consider having the flywheel resurfaced and a new pilot shaft bushing.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:22 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Before you buy a replacement clutch - read this.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...vel-range.html
Old 02-09-2016, 10:31 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

LUK
Old 02-09-2016, 01:00 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 275 Posts

Don't ask what vendor has a soft clutch. You will get no replies.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:28 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

X3 on LUK. Hi quality, excellent fit, light pedal, long lasting.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:04 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
X3 on LUK. Hi quality, excellent fit, light pedal, long lasting.
I've installed no less than a dozen LUK clutches and pretty much agree EXCEPT - be sure sure get your flywheel and new clutch set-up balanced. I always have them done and usually they are very good but the last LUK pressure plate I bought was severely out of balance. I don't know if it missed the balancing step before it was shipped but it would have required removal if I had not gotten it checked.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:15 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1snake
I've installed no less than a dozen LUK clutches and pretty much agree EXCEPT - be sure sure get your flywheel and new clutch set-up balanced. I always have them done and usually they are very good but the last LUK pressure plate I bought was severely out of balance. I don't know if it missed the balancing step before it was shipped but it would have required removal if I had not gotten it checked.
How do I do that? Do they balance it on the car as an assembly? Who does this?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:20 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver
How do I do that? Do they balance it on the car as an assembly? Who does this?
It's done off the car. Usually the place that resurfaces your flywheel can do it. If not, any decent engine builder/machine shop can.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:37 PM
427390HP
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Norm,

Last July I converted my '60 back to an original 4 speed. I literally read hundreds of forum posts on clutches, flywheels, etc. to make sure I got all of the right parts so I didn't have to re-do anything.

I eventually ended up putting a LUK 04-084 clutch in it . I got it from NAPA. Their part number for this kit is 1104084. It is a 10.5" clutch. I like it, works fine, and has a soft pedal. My brother does all my testing and tuning and he has tested it (which means drive it like you stole it and troopers are on your tail!) several times. So far so good.

Just a few things FYI that you may or may not already know or have read:

1. If you end up with a diaphragm clutch, be especially aware of the type of diaphragm and the throwout bearing that comes with it. I initially put a RAM clutch in and the clutch wouldn't fully disengage. This was because the Corvettes differ from the passenger car in the type of diaphragm clutch that will work.

Important: Per John Z: "... all Corvettes use the "short" (1-1/4") throwout bearing with bent-finger diaphragm clutches ... The long one ... was used in passenger cars and trucks with "flat-finger" diaphragm clutches.

2. Naturally you will replace your pilot bushing. Be sure that you get a good oilite bushing and not a cheap over the counter that is magnetic.

3. If you go with a LUK clutch, the kit I got had the cheap plastic throwout bearing. You will want to get a good all metal throwout bearing.

There's a lot more info I gathered, but with what you have already read and the info you get from this thread, you should be able to make a good decision and have everything go well on the install.

Terry
Old 02-09-2016, 02:51 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 427390HP
3. If you go with a LUK clutch, the kit I got had the cheap plastic throwout bearing. You will want to get a good all metal throwout bearing.
The LUK throw out bearing has a composite, not plastic, sleeve where the clutch fork rides and where the bearing slides on the trans front bearing retainer. The rest of the bearing that actually does the work is metal just like the old days. I think it's a better/quieter design and have never had any problems with any of them.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:03 PM
427390HP
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
The LUK throw out bearing has a composite, not plastic, sleeve where the clutch fork rides and where the bearing slides on the trans front bearing retainer. The rest of the bearing that actually does the work is metal just like the old days. I think it's a better/quieter design and have never had any problems with any of them.
OK, it has a composite plastic sleeve. Composites comprise more than just plastics. I just wanted the OP to be aware that the bearing in the LUK kit was not all metal. Some of us still want an all metal bearing.

Terry
Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 261 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm going to be needing to get a clutch for my 400ish horsepower 327 and I'm wondering if the stock replacement LUK clutch can stand up to this kind of power or should I move on to something a little more performance oriented? I don't think my driving habits are all that aggressive.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement Clutch

Old 02-09-2016, 09:47 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mudbone64
I'm going to be needing to get a clutch for my 400ish horsepower 327 and I'm wondering if the stock replacement LUK clutch can stand up to this kind of power or should I move on to something a little more performance oriented? I don't think my driving habits are all that aggressive.
Go with a stock replacement like LUK but definitely have it balanced. I've used them with more HP without issues.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:18 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

OK, it has a composite plastic sleeve. Composites comprise more than just plastics. I just wanted the OP to be aware that the bearing in the LUK kit was not all metal. Some of us still want an all metal bearing.

Terry
I agree. The composite might be fine but would prefer metal.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:23 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Norm,

Last July I converted my '60 back to an original 4 speed. I literally read hundreds of forum posts on clutches, flywheels, etc. to make sure I got all of the right parts so I didn't have to re-do anything.

I eventually ended up putting a LUK 04-084 clutch in it . I got it from NAPA. Their part number for this kit is 1104084. It is a 10.5" clutch. I like it, works fine, and has a soft pedal. My brother does all my testing and tuning and he has tested it (which means drive it like you stole it and troopers are on your tail!) several times. So far so good.

Just a few things FYI that you may or may not already know or have read:

1. If you end up with a diaphragm clutch, be especially aware of the type of diaphragm and the throwout bearing that comes with it. I initially put a RAM clutch in and the clutch wouldn't fully disengage. This was because the Corvettes differ from the passenger car in the type of diaphragm clutch that will work.

Important: Per John Z: "... all Corvettes use the "short" (1-1/4") throwout bearing with bent-finger diaphragm clutches ... The long one ... was used in passenger cars and trucks with "flat-finger" diaphragm clutches.

2. Naturally you will replace your pilot bushing. Be sure that you get a good oilite bushing and not a cheap over the counter that is magnetic.

There's a lot more info I gathered, but with what you have already read and the info you get from this thread, you should be able to make a good decision and have everything go well on the install.

Terry
Because my engine came out of a pickup, that part number may not work. I need to crawl under there & get that casting # off the bell housing and find out what clutch I have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement Clutch