C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

E63 coupe outer window wipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:28 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Default E63 coupe outer window wipes

anyone making the correct staple on coupe outer window wipes.My old original ones which are shot have 6 holes plus the staples.
LIC advertises a 64 staple on not sure if that is correct for a 63 ?
thanks
Old 02-10-2016, 07:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

IIRC those are 63 only pieces and not reproduced. Yours are prob salvageable.

The staples holes are to mount the rubber "wipe" whereas the 6 larger holes mount the assembled piece (metal strip plus the rubber) onto the horizontal window channel. Best to keep what you have and put new rubber on it...with staples made of stainless steel wire or paper clips placed in the existing holes. Not that hard and more correct.

I used Lowe's garage door weatherstrip and made a rubber wipe that is thinner and more supple than original. Windows operate like butter....passed regional judging with no deducts. Make VERY sure you use the right mounting screws...too large and they'll scratch your window.
Attached Images       

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-10-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:54 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

The staples holes are to mount the rubber "wipe" whereas the 6 larger holes mount the assembled piece (metal strip plus the rubber) onto the horizontal window channel. Best to keep what you have and put new rubber on it...with staples made of stainless steel wire or paper clips placed in the existing holes. Not that hard and more correct.

I used Lowe's garage door weatherstrip and made a rubber wipe that is thinner and more supple than original. Windows operate like butter....passed regional judging with no deducts. Make VERY sure you use the right mounting screws...too large and they'll scratch your window.
Fankie is spot on. The stainless pieces are made of unobtanium. Polish or have them polished and carefully attach the rubber replacement onto the stainless using the original staple holes.

Last edited by BADBIRDCAGE; 02-10-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:43 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, I did find the correct ones at Zip corvettes. Pricey but what else is new.
Your idea is great though, thanks again. did you have to replace the weatherstrip on the vent windows.??
Old 02-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by roberts427
Thanks, I did find the correct ones at Zip corvettes. Pricey but what else is new.
Your idea is great though, thanks again. did you have to replace the weatherstrip on the vent windows.??
No. My vent windows were fine.
What is the Zip part number ?

I don't see the metal garnishes; I do see the rubber wipes but they are out of stock
Old 02-10-2016, 08:30 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

No. My vent windows were fine.
What is the Zip part number ?

I don't see the metal garnishes; I do see the rubber wipes but they are out of stock
I must have bought the last of their stock as they said they shipped them today. I heard that corvette central is making the metal and the rubber wiper. Thanks Robert
Old 02-11-2016, 07:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I hope you got the right thing...even if Zip is "Out of Stock" on something it'll still appear on their website with that notation.

I've heard that Keen may reproduce the outer 63 coupe garnishes and that CC may reproduce them, and that the split window rear window stainless repros are imminent. First heard all this two years ago when I bought my car and even then the rumors were 5 years old. They DO reproduce the 63 center console now if you don't mind forking over about $1,700 for a pale imitation of the original piece.

I'll believe it when I see it...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-11-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:40 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I hope you got the right thing...even if Zip is "Out of Stock" on something it'll still appear on their website with that notation.

I've heard that Keen may reproduce the outer 63 coupe garnishes and that CC may reproduce them, and that the split window rear window stainless repros are imminent. First heard all this two years ago when I bought my car and even then the rumors were 5 years old. They DO reproduce the 63 center console now if you don't mind forking over about $1,700 for a pale imitation of the original piece.

I'll believe it when I see it...
I received my widow wipes from Zip 2day. They advertised as having the 6 holes drilled out and being correct ,they only had a hole on each end. So i had to drill out the holes plus the staple holes but got it done, Just need to mount them.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:30 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by roberts427
I received my widow wipes from Zip 2day. They advertised as having the 6 holes drilled out and being correct ,they only had a hole on each end. So i had to drill out the holes plus the staple holes but got it done, Just need to mount them.
Hope it works for you -- if you want to sell your originals; PM me
Old 02-13-2016, 09:03 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Hope it works for you -- if you want to sell your originals; PM me
u can have them they r shot though
Old 02-13-2016, 10:17 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner