C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Trying to make two stock hoods "interchangeable" on C2...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:53 PM
rick piras
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Trying to make two stock hoods "interchangeable" on C2...

After a bunch of work building a '65 restomod in my garage, I finally outsourced the final stage (paint).
It's originally a small block car, but along the way I also found an original '67 press molded Stinger hood, brought that along to the paint shop, and asked them to prep and paint that so I could run either hood.

After cleaning up all of the gaps/surface heights and getting the small block hood lined up perfectly, they then did a trial fit with the stinger hood. Not even close. The gaps to the body are close to 1" wide in length, and the height sits wrong. It would require a significant amount of material added, that would require some serious $$$.

My main questions are: Has anyone else tried to make two different (but both C2) hoods work interchangeably? Were they close in overall size height they sat at? Were the tolerances in those days THAT far off?

Thanks for any input.
Rick
Old 02-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Kind of curious as to the responses you are gonna get...

I'm in!
Old 02-10-2016, 03:12 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

typical.

my car was built around a '67 bb hood and that hood fits perfectly.

the '66 small block hood on the car now fits like doo doo and I am OK with that.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:33 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by rick piras

The gaps to the body are close to 1" wide in length, and the height sits wrong.

Were the tolerances in those days THAT far off?

Thanks for any input.
Rick
Take a wild guess.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Well not sure if this helps but I installed a 66 BB hood on my 65 SB car when I dropped in the 427.

When the car was painted I had both hoods shot, installed the 66 BB hood and stored the original 65 SB hood.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:10 PM
decarmine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After a bunch of work building a '65 restomod in my garage, I finally outsourced the final stage (paint).
It's originally a small block car, but along the way I also found an original '67 press molded Stinger hood, brought that along to the paint shop, and asked them to prep and paint that so I could run either hood.

After cleaning up all of the gaps/surface heights and getting the small block hood lined up perfectly, they then did a trial fit with the stinger hood. Not even close. The gaps to the body are close to 1" wide in length, and the height sits wrong. It would require a significant amount of material added, that would require some serious $$$.

My main questions are: Has anyone else tried to make two different (but both C2) hoods work interchangeably? Were they close in overall size height they sat at? Were the tolerances in those days THAT far off?

Thanks for any input.
Rick
When I bought my '66 (original BB car) it came with a well-fitting small block hood. I swapped that for a '67 BB hood -- I was told it was a "Rockwell" hood -- but soon after decided to mount a '65/'66 BB hood. ALL hoods fit REASONABLY well. Last one required some minor bodywork on the corners. All this was done prior to paint.

NO gaps were anywhere NEAR what you described...
Old 02-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

My GM issued '67 replacement North American Rockwell BB hood fits just as nice as my original SB hood. I know the history of my one owner car, so NO front end damage has ever occurred. Dennis
Old 02-10-2016, 05:50 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,316 Posts

I've seen this happen on a number of 53-67's.

It use to be quite common to repair front end damage, by cutting the nose off in the middle of the fenders, and just replacing the damaged portion of the nose. For some reason, it doesn't always occur to people to test fit the hood, before bonding the new section on. The result is noses that are positioned incorrectly, and hoods that get trimmed, to fit the repaired nose. The same can happen with the fit left to right.

Anytime you're buying an early hood, you need to carefully inspect the edges on the underside, to make sure that it hasn't been trimmed.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:36 PM
rick piras
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. The Stinger hood I bought did not appear to have had any modifications to it. The car itself (1965) was a two-owner car, I bought it from a co-worker who had owned the car from 1972 until I bought it in 2009. The prior owner didn't think it'd ever been hit. Not only did the hood seem shorter than the small block hood, in the front corners the gaps were close to 1".
When I dropped the car off, I made it clear to the shop that getting the gaps correct for the small block hood was the priority, and having the Stinger hood fit correctly was the second priority.
I guess I'll be selling a Stinger hood at a discount after making sure the buyer knows it will likely have fitment issues....bummer.

Thanks again,
Rick
Old 02-11-2016, 10:13 AM
Overkill69
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default hood

Thanks for the feedback guys. The Stinger hood I bought did not appear to have had any modifications to it. The car itself (1965) was a two-owner car, I bought it from a co-worker who had owned the car from 1972 until I bought it in 2009. The prior owner didn't think it'd ever been hit. Not only did the hood seem shorter than the small block hood, in the front corners the gaps were close to 1".
When I dropped the car off, I made it clear to the shop that getting the gaps correct for the small block hood was the priority, and having the Stinger hood fit correctly was the second priority.
I guess I'll be selling a Stinger hood at a discount after making sure the buyer knows it will likely have fitment issues....bummer.

Thanks again,
Rick
Im game for a stinger hood that needs work if the price is ok.
PM me im in Kansas 67017. Thanks
Old 02-11-2016, 10:30 AM
bpjon65
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a 65 convertible. It came with the small block hood. I also have a 67 bb hood. Both fit the car perfectly. I usually pick one to use for the year and leave it on. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:37 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 648 Likes on 277 Posts

I'm currently doing paint and body on a friend's '66 who has the original hood and wanted a stinger also. I found an original stinger locally and will be painting both. They both fit pretty well. The original has a little more bow in it front to back causing the hood to sit maybe 1/16" higher in the middle in relation to the fender. The stinger matches very well compared to the fender, but sits a little low in the front middle as shown in the last photo.

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to make two stock hoods "interchangeable" on C2...

Quick Reply: Trying to make two stock hoods "interchangeable" on C2...