C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

reasonable rear disc brakes for 63 with ride tech suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 08:23 PM
yzguyfl
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts
Default reasonable rear disc brakes for 63 with ride tech suspension?

I'm putting the ridetech level II suspension on my 63, which came with 4 wheel manual drum brakes.
http://www.ridetech.com/store/1963-1...m-level-2.html

I'm going to use 98Z28 disc brakes up front, with Kore3 brackets.

Is there a reasonable rear disc brake option out there?
I'm only seeing a complete trailing arm system for 1.7K
Old 02-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Mike (Naples)
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by yzguyfl
I'm putting the ridetech level II suspension on my 63, which came with 4 wheel manual drum brakes.
http://www.ridetech.com/store/1963-1...m-level-2.html

I'm going to use 98Z28 disc brakes up front, with Kore3 brackets.

Is there a reasonable rear disc brake option out there?
I'm only seeing a complete trailing arm system for 1.7K
I have no idea what your idea of reasonable is, but Wilwood has several bolt on disc kits that I think are reasonable. I have a SWC. I put a 6-piston big brake kit on the front and a 4-piston kit on the back. They look incredible and work beautifully.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:52 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike (Naples)
I have no idea what your idea of reasonable is, but Wilwood has several bolt on disc kits that I think are reasonable. I have a SWC. I put a 6-piston big brake kit on the front and a 4-piston kit on the back. They look incredible and work beautifully.
Stock wheels?
Old 02-10-2016, 10:42 PM
yzguyfl
Instructor

Well I was hoping for less than 1K (hopefully much less) and really not quite looking for a 4 piston rear set up, since I only have the stock 89Z front set up.

I did look at the wilwood site, just now again, and I only see front brake systems for a C2 vette, am I missing something?

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...tte&option=C-2

I did look again, and changed the search to be 67 instead and now I see some. Is there something different between 67 and 63? I'm wondering why it would be listed for one and not the other.

And this is about 1.8K

I do have an entire 98Z donor car, and I was looking a bit closer, and I may be able to make those rear brakes work as well, at least for now. I may upgrade brakes later, but spending so much money on so much stuff, trying to save a bit here and there. 4 wheel power disc from a Z will be a HUGE improvement over the 4 wheel manual drums on there now.

I also forgot to mention, I'll likely be running some sort of 17" wheel, but certainly not stock.

Last edited by yzguyfl; 02-10-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:15 AM
Mike (Naples)
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by yzguyfl
Well I was hoping for less than 1K (hopefully much less) and really not quite looking for a 4 piston rear set up, since I only have the stock 89Z front set up.

I did look at the wilwood site, just now again, and I only see front brake systems for a C2 vette, am I missing something?

I did look again, and changed the search to be 67 instead and now I see some. Is there something different between 67 and 63? I'm wondering why it would be listed for one and not the other.

And this is about 1.8K

I do have an entire 98Z donor car, and I was looking a bit closer, and I may be able to make those rear brakes work as well, at least for now. I may upgrade brakes later, but spending so much money on so much stuff, trying to save a bit here and there. 4 wheel power disc from a Z will be a HUGE improvement over the 4 wheel manual drums on there now.

I also forgot to mention, I'll likely be running some sort of 17" wheel, but certainly not stock.
I bet all C2 and C3 compatible brakes will work with your new suspension setup.

Wildwood used to sell another set for C2 Corvettes using C3 calipers that was much less expensive. I bought that set when I rebuilt my car the first time. I've attached one example from eBay. A search there will yield many results.

I had 17" wheels and diameter was not a problem. The problem was that they're wide and I needed spacers to keep them from rubbing against the inside of my front wheels. Obviously you can plan around that if you haven't bought wheels yet.
The following users liked this post:
yzguyfl (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 09:28 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

No C3 in your local junk yards or no one parting one out local?
Old 02-11-2016, 09:38 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

AAaaaaall C2 and C3 Vintage racers use stock Delco disc brakes. Yes, I use them on my 63 and they are legal, and they WORK!
Are modern Stoptech and Wilwood and Brembo brakes 'better"? Sure they are, but they are expensive and not legal for our class of vintage racing. The important thing is the C2/C3 Delco disc brakes fit under the stock 15" wheels and work fine for actual wheel to wheel racing, so they will be good enough (with modern pad material) for any usage you might want. I do not recommend use of non stock Camaro parts on your 63 Corvette.

Last edited by 63Corvette; 02-11-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Wildwood used to sell another set for C2 Corvettes using C3 calipers that was much less expensive. I bought that set when I rebuilt my car the first time. I've attached one example from eBay. A search there will yield many results.

I had 17" wheels and diameter was not a problem. The problem was that they're wide and I needed spacers to keep them from rubbing against the inside of my front wheels. Obviously you can plan around that if you haven't bought wheels yet.
Actually . . . no, they won't!!! I looked at the Ride Tech suspension a few months ago and was put off by the fact that none of my stock brakes will work with their set up! Their kits require a complete set of aftermarket brakes! It's gets pretty expensive when you have to replace all of the brakes in addition to the new suspension!

Tom
Old 02-11-2016, 06:54 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Austin
Actually . . . no, they won't!!! I looked at the Ride Tech suspension a few months ago and was put off by the fact that none of my stock brakes will work with their set up! Their kits require a complete set of aftermarket brakes! It's gets pretty expensive when you have to replace all of the brakes in addition to the new suspension!

Tom
Tom is right...there is a post from the ride tech guys and they outline what brake components are compatible...I can't remember the details but its a hodge podge of Chevelle or Camaro parts that can be used.

I agree that for all that money and then having to replace stock brakes and wheels is a bit over the top...actually the money creeps up high enough it starts to make an SRIII chassis look like a better deal.

Last edited by Crunch527; 02-11-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:10 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by Crunch527
Tom is right...there is a post from the ride tech guys and they outline what brake components are compatible...I can't remember the details but its a hodge podge of Chevelle or Camaro parts that can be used.

I agree that for all that money and then having to replace stock brakes and wheels is a bit over the top...actually the money creeps up high enough it starts to make an SRIII chassis look like a better deal.
Stock disc brakes work on the Ridetech rear system but not front. It uses the spindle from 67-69 Camaro and Chevelles and maybe others, so you would need brakes designed for those. Oh but stock wheels will work, just not brakes because of the different spindle.

Bill

Last edited by 69ttop502; 02-12-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:17 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Bill you are right on the wheels...that part was an assumption that the guys running this kind of setup would automatically want newer/ wider wheels...I should have clarified.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:46 PM
yzguyfl
Instructor

I would think so, but wanted to mention it as ridetech, just in case.

this example, along with most I have seen, are just calipers, or some are caliper and rotor upgrades, meant to go on a car that already has disc brakes. I have rear drums, so I have nothing to bolt those calipers to.

yeah, getting the wheels is still pretty far down the line, and I'll likely have to get a specific back spacing to get what I want, but I have time for that.

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
No C3 in your local junk yards or no one parting one out local?
first I don't think I have ever seen a C3 in a junk yard second, this is part of what I'm asking, C3 rear brakes will fit a C2 trailing arm? (I know the frame is largely the same, but not sure about other suspension components) Stock C3 rear discs may be an option if that will work.

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
AAaaaaall C2 and C3 Vintage racers use stock Delco disc brakes. Yes, I use them on my 63 and they are legal, and they WORK!
Are modern Stoptech and Wilwood and Brembo brakes 'better"? Sure they are, but they are expensive and not legal for our class of vintage racing. The important thing is the C2/C3 Delco disc brakes fit under the stock 15" wheels and work fine for actual wheel to wheel racing, so they will be good enough (with modern pad material) for any usage you might want.
this is more of what I'm looking for, do you happen to have any more info? or maybe point me in the right direction? (remember I have rear drum brakes with nothing to bolt calipers to right now) I need some sort of bracket, as well as the calipers rotors and parking brake stuff.

I do not recomment use of non stock Camaro parts on your 63 Corvette.
I realize I'm may not be in the exact right place for this , but that ship has sailed.... the 63 is already getting the motor (LS1) and trany (T56) and front brakes from said Z28. I have the whole car, and it would be nice to scavenge as much as useful from it. It's stock brakes are already a huge upgrade to the 4 wheel manual drums that came on the vette.

Originally Posted by Tom Austin
Actually . . . no, they won't!!!
Tom
yeah, I'm pretty sure 69ttop502 is correct, that the front won't work, but the rears will. I did not care a great deal, as I knew I was changing them up anyway.

Last edited by yzguyfl; 02-11-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:23 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

I hear you Crunch. I have the Ridetech rear system on the way for my 69. I would have done front also if I could have used stock spindles and brakes. I am one of those 15 inch wheel guys for these cars so no big brakes and wheels for me. Will eventually go to the Avon tires to enjoy the suspension improvements.

To the OP, any C2 or C3 rear disc system, bearing carrier and caliper bracket will work with the Ridetech rear trailing arms. Look at Van Steel.

Last edited by 69ttop502; 02-12-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:28 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Yes, for the rear, you need the entire C3 trailing arm and suspension, hub carrier etc, OR aftermarket trailing arm (Vansteel, Duntov etc) for the "bracket" you mentioned to carry the disc brake caliper.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:02 AM
yzguyfl
Instructor

Yes, for the rear, you need the entire C3 trailing arm and suspension, hub carrier etc, OR aftermarket trailing arm (Vansteel, Duntov etc) for the "bracket" you mentioned to carry the disc brake caliper.
why would you need the trailing arm? can't you pull the caliper bracket off, and put it on any trailing arm? are the arms different between drum and disc? (I did not think so)
are the hub and carrier different between the 2?

I think I have something.
stock used rear brake caliper brackets $70
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C3-Corvette-...dWs3m8&vxp=mtr

new backing plate, hardware and parking brake shoes $137
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-C3-...lVJqSW&vxp=mtr

R & L calipers $165 each
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-1982-C2...xUf3mL&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-1982-C2...xUf3mL&vxp=mtr

Many stockish replacement rotors and pads to choose from, around $100

for a total price of about $650!

am I missing anything? Is there any reason this would not work?
anything that won't fit or missing?

especially small parts, like I think I still need the bolts that hold the caliper to the brackets, but I assume that is hard mounted, and just a normal grade 8 bolt right?
are there spring clips on the pads with these? (normally something there to keep them from rattling)

I'll look around at other places and prices, but so far this is looking good.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:00 PM
yzguyfl
Instructor

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
To the OP, any C2 or C3 rear disc system, bearing carrier and caliper bracket will work with the Ridetech rear trailing arms. Look at Van Steel.
do I need a new bearing carrier? I mean I know I need to at least put new bearings in mine, but is there a difference between the disc vs drum carrier? or between 63 and C3? I thought no, but not sure.

from the pictures I have seen (granted not the best to go by, but that is why I am asking ) it looks like I could just bolt on the stock caliper brackets onto what I have now.

I also looked around the van steel site, and so far am only seeing the whole trailing arm assembly, complete with disc brakes, for over 2K. I don't see any components. (I'll probably call them to chat for a bit and see what they have to say)

I have the ridetech trailing arm, and I am using that for sure, so I'd rather not pay for another one if I don't have to.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:33 PM
yzguyfl
Instructor

talked to Van Steel, and according to them the spindle is thicker for the disc brakes so I can't use mine (if going to a stockish setup).

I'd need spindles added to my list, but otherwise it would be the same. The trailing arm and carrier would work (but of course need the bearings replaced).

I could send them my carrier, and have them put in new bearings and spindle, and send me all the conversion parts I need (minus rotors) to bolt onto my trailing arms, for around $1.5K

Get notified of new replies

To reasonable rear disc brakes for 63 with ride tech suspension?

Quick Reply: reasonable rear disc brakes for 63 with ride tech suspension?