C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Failure mode for hot cranking issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 11:25 PM
aaronz28
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Over advanced timing can cause the engine to have difficulty cranking - but for a properly working starter/battery - it will still start the engine every single time. And you'll hear a very positive engagement of the starter.

This sounds more like a parts store "off shore" replacement starter that was either rebuilt improperly - or is failing.

If the starter is failing every 10 years - I suppose that isn't the worst thing in the world... if you want to get a 50$ starter from your local AutoZone or O'reilleys - have at it.

My suggestion would be to get an original style delco core - and have it properly rebuilt by a shop that specializes in starters/alternators etc.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:30 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Hot start is such a frequent problem w/sbc I can't believe u can't find literal thousands of posts w/cures for this. And why haven't u tested your batt? Only 1 cure for old batt.
If u really had explained what u truly tried I could explain how measure voltage drops in the start circuit. But if u haven't tested your batt, cleaned all your circuit connections, and installed an effective heat shield I will be wasting everyone's time.⌛

Last edited by cardo0; 02-13-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:44 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Default Si67

Did you find the problem?

Tom
Old 02-24-2016, 10:17 PM
firemist1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hot Start Problem

All good replies thus far, but there is one more thing to consider. The solenoid spring in many of these starters was stronger than necessary and with the heating of the starter came increased resistance through the solenoid and starter windings reducing current flow and the magnetic field required to engage the starter drive. GM issued a new solenoid spring that reduced the force required to engage the starter back in the 60's that fixed the problem. I replaced a lot of these springs and saw positive results first hand. There may still be some of these stiffer solenoid springs in the population of starters out there today.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:12 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky65
Did you find the problem?

Tom
Tom,

I sure did! Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I let the problem find me. I used the very scientific method of doing nothing until the thing wouldn't crank hot OR cold. Dan, Frankie, R66, and probably others here hit the nail squarely on the head: Battery. The failing battery finally packed it in completely. Starter. solenoid, and wiring are apparently fine.

Thanks to all who shared the benefit of their experience!

Quick Reply: Failure mode for hot cranking issue?