C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Looking for My First Mid-Year....Could Use Your Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 08:06 PM
D-FRESH3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looking for My First Mid-Year....Could Use Your Help

I am new to the forum, and looking to buy and build my first Corvette. I am looking for a mid-year that needs a little love. I have a max budget of $35k. I would love some opinions/suggestions on what I should be looking for on the vehicles as I start searching. Any common trouble areas on these cars? Any websites or places you can recommend to help me find a vehicle? Any help is appreciated,
Doug
Old 02-13-2016, 08:08 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-for-sale.html

Last edited by Bowtyeguy; 02-13-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:42 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by D-FRESH3
I am new to the forum, and looking to buy and build my first Corvette. I am looking for a mid-year that needs a little love. I have a max budget of $35k. I would love some opinions/suggestions on what I should be looking for on the vehicles as I start searching. Any common trouble areas on these cars? Any websites or places you can recommend to help me find a vehicle? Any help is appreciated,
Doug
Not sure where to start. Use the search function- this is a common question.

Big things are frame rust in front of the rear wheel wells (it can be hidden on top of the frame). This is very common and can be catastrophic.

The other area is the birdcage - the steel enclosure around the cockpit. A rusted birdcage is an expensive nightmare to repair.

You should seriously bring someone experienced with these cars with you to look at any potential vehicle. Lot's of BS (intentional or not) with buyers misrepresenting the originality, numbers matching or not, fake protecto plates, and more.

Be aware that there is very little interchangeability with Corvettes - you can't just cruise down to the local boneyard to get parts. Almost every part is specific to the Corvette.

Get to know the years and options offered - lots of nonsense with buyers claiming "rare" this and that.

I don't want to discourage you but I also don't want anyone to learn the hard way like I did.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:45 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Buy a car that someone else has poured a ton on money into and wants out.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:47 PM
D-FRESH3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good info. I have already inspected a few cars. With my budget, matching numbers probably won't come into play. I am aware of the frame rust issue. What is the best way to check for a rusted birdcage? Where can you see it the best?
Doug
Old 02-13-2016, 09:20 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

If you can't remove the glove box, get low and look up behind the box and behind the gauge cluster. It's not easy, but can be done. If it's a coupe, add the rear door jamb area. It can show bubbling under the paint. Dennis
Old 02-14-2016, 12:15 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by D-FRESH3
Good info. I have already inspected a few cars. With my budget, matching numbers probably won't come into play. I am aware of the frame rust issue. What is the best way to check for a rusted birdcage? Where can you see it the best?
Doug
I bought a cheap inspection camera from H.F., brought my best and brightest small LED flashlight and various picks and screw drivers, a small hammer, my camera AND a friend as 2 sets of eyes are better than one.

We got waaay under the dash from end to end, removed the kick panels (4 screws) and looked up and down the A pillars, and pulled the rocker panel access covers (again, 4 screws).

Everything "looked" good but just to be sure, wherever possible, such as the bottom of the A pillar, I poked down and tapped with the hammer. Thuds good, crunches BAD!!!

Did the same with the frame since fortunately, there was a lift available. I'm sure that there's more and possibly better ways but that's what I did.

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 02-14-2016 at 12:24 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for My First Mid-Year....Could Use Your Help

Quick Reply: Looking for My First Mid-Year....Could Use Your Help