C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wiring harness questions.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:56 AM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 67 Posts

Default Wiring harness questions.

I'm wanting to completely re-wire my 65 conv. vette. I see on ZIP that they offer many different choices. How can I tell if my vette was an early or late vette? I want backup lights and will probably install a Vintage Air system (have to have AC in the south)!!! How can I tell if my car came with AC? It was taken apart when I got it and not every part came with it.

Will either of these work for my car?

http://www.zip-corvette.com/63-67-c2...s-package.html

http://www.zip-corvette.com/63-67-c2...s-package.html

Is there a better choice for complete wiring harness packages?

Sorry guys for these and future questions. I'm not a mechanic....JUST A CORVETTE LOVER!!!

Thanks,
58n65
Old 02-14-2016, 11:30 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

If your car was an original AC car, it will have a vent above the clock that non-AC cars don't have.
For your wiring harness, early cars used a tracer color on a black wire, late cars used a solid color wire. Look at the wires that go to the headlight dimmer switch. If there is a black wire with a green stripe = early. If the wire is solid green = late. Ask Zip what brand of harnesses are in the kit. If they are not M & H brand, go to the M & H website and order them. They may be a bit more expensive but worth every penny.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:54 AM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1snake
If your car was an original AC car, it will have a vent above the clock that non-AC cars don't have.
For your wiring harness, early cars used a tracer color on a black wire, late cars used a solid color wire. Look at the wires that go to the headlight dimmer switch. If there is a black wire with a green stripe = early. If the wire is solid green = late. Ask Zip what brand of harnesses are in the kit. If they are not M & H brand, go to the M & H website and order them. They may be a bit more expensive but worth every penny.
Thank you....This was exactly what I needed to know.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,920 Likes on 4,770 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Paragon offers a better deal on wiring from LL. others may too
Old 02-14-2016, 01:10 PM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Paragon offers a better deal on wiring from LL. others may too
Thank you. I just pulled up ZIP because I had an email from them. I'll look into these other two recommendations....and any other that I receive.

Thanks,
58n65
Old 02-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

The majority of our harness's are M&H. We sell Lectric Limited as well when M&H doesn't have an offering. There is no difference that I have been able to tell between the two companies, I have used both and I didn't see a difference in quality or performance.
On your 65, you need to wire the car as a non A/C car even though you are going to be putting in aftermarket A/C. The aftermarket A/C takes into account that your car is a non A/C car. Look at the heater box on your firewall, a non A/C car has just a fan and heater core. The A/C car will have a larger box with an evaporator and it is a different shape than a non A/C. Look at the picture below and it is what a non A/C heater box looks like.

Hope this helps.
Justin
Old 02-15-2016, 07:33 PM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1snake
Okay, I checked the car and there's no vent above the clock and there's a black wire with green stripe going to the dimmer switch. SO it's an early 65 with no AC.

Thank you again!!!

Dex.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:21 PM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
The majority of our harness's are M&H. We sell Lectric Limited as well when M&H doesn't have an offering. There is no difference that I have been able to tell between the two companies, I have used both and I didn't see a difference in quality or performance.
On your 65, you need to wire the car as a non A/C car even though you are going to be putting in aftermarket A/C. The aftermarket A/C takes into account that your car is a non A/C car. Look at the heater box on your firewall, a non A/C car has just a fan and heater core. The A/C car will have a larger box with an evaporator and it is a different shape than a non A/C. Look at the picture below and it is what a non A/C heater box looks like.

Hope this helps.
Justin
Justin, thanks for the information. That is exactly what mine looks like. I was hoping to get the wiring harness ordered while y'all offered free shipping but looks like I'll have to wait. Here's a picture of mine....had to dig it out since I didn't take the car apart.

Thanks,
58n65

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring harness questions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiring harness questions.