C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

belt line help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 07:15 PM
DEAN66
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt line help

We are ready to glue new 1.5 quarterpanel on 66 coupe and have installed doors but have front clip removed and waiting on replacement,my question is: does the frame need to be level or can measurements be taken off the floor and how to line up the beltline with all the curves along the body . I don't see tape working. Any tricks?
Tks.Larry
Old 03-07-2016, 07:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Larry,

I wish you would post photos so I can see what you are doing.

I do not know what you mean by "1.5 quarter panel"

I do know you want the car ON THE GROUND with tires on it and the air pressure correct in all of the tires.

Without seeing what you are dealing with...once again..I can not figure out what you are worrying about....because if you are installing a new quarter panel....and using the factory bonding strips....worrying about feature lines that you can measure form the ground is kinda pointless when the bonding strip is going to put you where you need to be. This is why I measure areas on a panel that is going to be replaced BEFORE I remove the damaged panel...so I have a reference to go off of and I do not use it as the HOLY GRAIL of measurements.

Trying to get the distances form the floor to the edge of wheel well lip can and will drive you crazy...and then you go drive the car and bring it back and they are possibly different due to settling. Get it OPTICALLY good looking and go from there.

DUB

Quick Reply: belt line help