C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

60 C1 with kiesler R400 perfect fit gearbox - tunnel question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 05:04 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Default 60 C1 with kiesler R400 perfect fit gearbox - tunnel question

Hi all,

Yes that's right a Kielser that I know has now gone bust but at the time the 5 speed manual R400 seemed like the best idea (I think it is an R??? has been a long time since I purchased it). I think Silver Sport now build and sell these g-boxes.

The background; after many years of slow restoration work I finally got my body off the rotisserie and lowered it onto the completed chassis (with all parts installed -radiator, engine, gearbox, diff, wheels, exhaust etc) but as I lowered it with less than 1" to go the boot from the gear shifter (on the gearbox) stopped the chassis from lowering any further down ... I didn't take all the weight off the chain block but there seemed to be a bit of pressure on the gearbox shifter boot.

My question is, has anyone else come across this problem and if so what was your remedy? I figured I could cut a bigger hole for the shifter boot but I've got the original cover with ashtray that sits on top of the carpet and probably can't enlarge the hole too much.

I ran out of time today to look at the problem closely and won't get back to it for a couple of weeks now so thought I'd see what others have done or if they came across this problem.

Thanks heaps for your input.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:12 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I sent a reply to your inbox.

Does your transmission have the shifter offset to the left side, or is it still on the transmission centerline? Mine is a RS600, and I needed to enlarge the shifter hole slightly. It has the offset shifter. If your transmission was modified for a Corvette, then it should have the offset shifter. Also, I had to cut off the bottom of my ashtray. I see now "perfect fit" in the thread title. I would think you will not need to cut a new shifter hole, just enlarge a little, and check ashtray interference.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:29 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1COOL60
I sent a reply to your inbox.

Does your transmission have the shifter offset to the left side, or is it still on the transmission centerline? Mine is a RS600, and I needed to enlarge the shifter hole slightly. It has the offset shifter. If your transmission was modified for a Corvette, then it should have the offset shifter. Also, I had to cut off the bottom of my ashtray. I see now "perfect fit" in the thread title. I would think you will not need to cut a new shifter hole, just enlarge a little, and check ashtray interference.
Yes the shifter if offset.

Yep, you are pretty well on the money, I did some further searching; I need to:
- Enlarge the shifter hole
- Cut a good 1/2" off the bottom of the ash tray( which may also have the advantage that the gbox oil filler hole is near to directly under this cut off ashtray.
- Possibly shim the cross brace a little to lower it and the gbox down a little to increase tunnel clearance and reduce uni-joint angle.

The shifter boot that comes with the gearbox did you leave that in place or remove it, or remove it while lowering the body and then refit it and then put the corvette (or other) shifter boot over the top?

Also what of the little bag of extra bits that came with the box?
Old 03-22-2016, 01:13 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I installed the shifter boot on the trans from underneath after the trans was installed. Pretty tight in there. I would suggest installing the boot before you install the crossmember, with the back of the trans lying on the X-member. As for the hardware, I just used what I needed.
Old 03-26-2022, 02:11 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Old thread I know but I have begun / re-visited the restoration now that I have space and time. and though the body was put on the chassis in a bit of a rush (but done properly with the minimum number of body shims) I found the top of the gearbox still hit what was left of the ashtray even though as suggested I cut at least half away

.The interference pushed the output from the gearbox way over to the left so I've completely cut off the ashtray indent and had to modify the g-box support by elongating most holes to get the gbox to sit nice and central in the tunnel. Only really found it because I remember someone on the forum suggesting shimming down the rear mount to reduce uni-joint angle. Even with the shims in situ I had the interference between the top of the box and the ashtray indent. I will glass over the ashtray hole in the tunnel and part of the shifter hole that is too open on the left side of the shifter.
Old 03-26-2022, 02:19 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I know the view from the top look a bit nasty but a bit of glass should fix it up nicely (I'll close in on a bit to the left of the shifter hole and blank off the ashtray; hopefully I can still fit the top of the ashtray in to the bezel even if it can't be opened - will look correct at least). Haven't got a photo of gbox secured centrally as ran out of time yesterday and modified mounts were drying from a repaint. I'll submit some more photos when all is secure. FYI that round object with blue tape on top is like a 9/16 socket just to push the box over to the middle of the tunnel. A bit pissed that all was nicely painted to and underside but need to do some remedial work. At least I have started again after a long break.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:10 AM
CaptainEgg
Almost Retired
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

Not sure why you are having this problem, I installed a Tremec 5 speed from a company in California which later got bought up by Hurst. This was 10 years ago and the only mod I did was cut the ashtray holder off. Maybe that's one of the reasons they are out of business, things didn't fit as advertised!
Old 03-29-2022, 06:53 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Weird shapes spacers to lower the box about 3/8" in thickness. Large rectangular spacers/washers to counter the extra large elongated middle holes about 1/8" thick and one fitted either side of mount support. And the smaller rectangular spacers/washer being the original supplied with the g-box mount (fitted this one as well as had space under the nuts)
Old 03-29-2022, 06:31 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Box has BorgWarner embossed on the side .......... I think most of these aftermarket boxes are the same just sold by companies under a different name

Get notified of new replies

To 60 C1 with kiesler R400 perfect fit gearbox - tunnel question

Quick Reply: 60 C1 with kiesler R400 perfect fit gearbox - tunnel question