C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Future of the NCRS.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 03:34 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I get that WB, but I doubt eBay/Mecum sales of TF cars is affecting the NCRS finances...
Fees paid by judging participants certainly do, of course..
Auctions are the worst venue to know what true values are.

If any thing it's the cost of getting a car to a venue is the hardest part of NCRS. the same thing can be said about the judges them self if they choose to participate in any of the events across the states and even world wide.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:38 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'm not at home and don't have the Spring Restorer so not sure what the financial situation is but reading between the lines makes me think its not wholesome...that would be too bad...
Old 03-20-2016, 03:45 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I'm not at home and don't have the Spring Restorer so not sure what the financial situation is but reading between the lines makes me think its not wholesome...that would be too bad...
Have both beside me and didn't see anything in there that tells you what it is. All I know is my local chapter is doing just fine in the financial department. And the last several years of the driveline has been thicker and full of more adds and things for sale then ever before.

Like you said you find your self getting out of things to be with family. I'm sure the same can be said about the senior members. Plus how many times can you see the same old cars and still get joy out of it. When you make your hobby your life how much fun can it really be.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:04 PM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

it was mentioned that a pension was offered. I am a NCRS member, but found no place to ask such a question on the NCRS site. is it true that a person could receive a pension from the NCRS?
Old 03-20-2016, 04:07 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I thought NCRS was a non profit Organization. Am I wrong
Old 03-20-2016, 04:17 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There are plenty of non-profits that have pensions and retirement plans for senior management; the Red Cross is one example...
Old 03-20-2016, 04:19 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

There are plenty of non-profits that have pensions and retirement plans for senior management; the Red Cross is one example...
Learn something new. But then again never looked into this or really cared
Old 03-20-2016, 04:23 PM
bighouse
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct. Non profit just means no profit is made after everyone is paid their salary. People don't work there for free.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:41 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

As you know, interest rates, bond yields, and returns on other fixed investments have been down for a number of years. This has definitely hurt, since I do not believe NCRS is into investing in equities (higher risk).

They are also providing matching funds for the chapters for local charities, as well as supporting an NCRS Foundation and Scholarship Fund.

Some NCRS positions are paid positions. Also printing and postage costs have increased. Attendance is down as well as new/renewal memberships.

But I am sure there are also a number of other reasons I don't know about. We will just have to wait and see.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 03-20-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:44 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

I get that WB, but I doubt eBay/Mecum sales of TF cars is affecting the NCRS finances...
Fees paid by judging participants certainly do, of course..
I pretty sure there is a "fee" paid by Barrett Jackson, for every Corvette that is auctioned through their company with the NCRS award verification. Now, that's not killing the bottom line either, just saying....

It was said years ago, "the NCRS is a publication company", this leads me to believe that publication sales along with judging participation are the direct problems. Smaller income with the large expenses that grew over time. Took a car club and turned it into a corporation=doom....

This is of course all assumption, and we all know what they say about assuming....
Old 03-20-2016, 04:56 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift

But I am sure there are also a number of other reasons I don't know about. We will just have to wait and see.

Larry
You may be warmer here than you know.

Last edited by MikeM; 03-20-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:09 PM
396/425
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

While I personally think the whole "judging" thing with this outfit it completely over the top, it does provide good info on what was original. If you care. Some do. Look , 1: there is only so many cars out there to judge. 2: the bar has gotten so high (in judging) that most people who are curious and go see a meet or whatever go into Whiskey Tango Foxtrot mode right off the bat. 3: the average age of the members is well over 60. Im not far off myself, but younger car nuts just don't get off on this uber originality crap. My bet is that its run its course and its probably pretty much over. Why is anybody shocked? Things change. Peoples interests change. Resto Mod cars are hot as hell now. Its what the Gen X people like. Its their turn.

Last edited by 396/425; 03-20-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:22 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
As long as there is a market for original Corvettes, there will always be a place for the NCRS. Just look as sales prices of NCRS Top Flight cars compared to similar cars that have not been judged. Just because the majority of participating members is over 65 doesn't mean new retirees won't take their place as the years go on. It has always been an older man's sport, few have time to restore cars while they are raising children and working long hours.
Exactly, NCRS will be fine.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:57 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Sales prices of TF Corvettes doesn't address the 'financial situation' of the NCRS. Unrelated.

Older man's sport is right and we'll have to see if some cadre of 65 year olds is waiting in the wings to step in. I turn 65 in two months and have been shedding professional and volunteer duties rapidly to spend more time with family, etc..
Oh you kid
Old 03-20-2016, 06:11 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
You may be warmer here than you know.
Ahh, give me a hint. Down here at the local (Louisiana) Chapter level we don't hear anything.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 03-20-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:22 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by War Bonnet
With the announcement of the founder (member #1), and his family members leaving the NCRS, what does the future hold for the group?
OMG! For real?
Old 03-20-2016, 06:55 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
Ahh, give me a hint.

Larry
I did give you a hint! Let's see if it turns out like what I said happened in the thread that got closed.

Occasionally, a bottle with a note on it floats down the Ohio River from Cincinnati and has the latest news written on it. It could have been a plant though.

PS. Maybe that long time member that has been demanding an audit on the books will finally get his wish?

Last edited by MikeM; 03-20-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Future of the NCRS.......

Old 03-20-2016, 07:29 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Try for some perspective: 1>Start with 14,500 members each year paying at least $45 dues; 2> You give NOTHING away for free except the Restorer & Driveline; 3> Plus you sell ads in the Driveline at __,000 per issue income; 4> Events virtually pay for themselves through fees, t-shirts, etc.; 5> Every publication, AIM, model car, etc. must be being sold at a profit because the buyer is paying shipping costs and yet in 7 of the last 8 years (exact # may be incorrect), you LOSE MONEY? You don't have to be a CPA to make a List of questions.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:46 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

And "possibly" exhorbitant wages added to it...
Old 03-20-2016, 08:08 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by MikeM
I did give you a hint! Let's see if it turns out like what I said happened in the thread that got closed.

Occasionally, a bottle with a note on it floats down the Ohio River from Cincinnati and has the latest news written on it. It could have been a plant though.

PS. Maybe that long time member that has been demanding an audit on the books will finally get his wish?
Is this MikeM guessing game? If you have some information that would help us be more clear, please speak up. This is an open discussion here, certainly not allowed on the DB, see the lock on the Pres. announcement. What are you holding out on? Spill it.

John 8:32 "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

Quick Reply: Future of the NCRS.......