C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How Easy Is It To Change Out C2 Door Locks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 12:59 PM
D-FRESH3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How Easy Is It To Change Out C2 Door Locks?

The person I bought my 66 from cant find the door keys. If he can't come up with them, I was wondering how difficult it is to install a new set of door locks? Any helpful tips or suggestions?
Doug
Old 03-20-2016, 01:01 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by D-FRESH3
The person I bought my 66 from cant find the door keys. If he can't come up with them, I was wondering how difficult it is to install a new set of door locks? Any helpful tips or suggestions?
Doug
The hardest part is removing the door panels After that it's very simple
Old 03-20-2016, 01:13 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Remove Door Panel..the door panel lock can be removed with a rag behind lock, use a 'sawing' motion to remove clip...doing the same with window cranks...

Keep window rolled up...

Remove small rod on Lock...

Slide off, 'for better words' the Lock 'keeper'...this is somewhat hard to do with limited space...

Instead of replacing lock, have a key made...Cheaper than buying 2 new locks...
Old 03-20-2016, 01:13 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Actually the panels aren't that bad, its getting to the little clips that hold the handles and especially the lock button that's the biggest PITA.

I suggest using the archives for that, there's lots of info there.

Once the panel is removed, it's just a matter of getting the retainer to slide off and unhooking the linkage.

Gary
Old 03-20-2016, 01:16 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 66jack
Remove Door Panel..the door panel lock can be removed with a rag behind lock, use a 'sawing' motion to remove clip...doing the same with window cranks...

Keep window rolled up...

Remove small rod on Lock...

Slide off, 'for better words' the Lock 'keeper'...this is somewhat hard to do with limited space...

Instead of replacing lock, have a key made...Cheaper than buying 2 new locks...:cheers:
And a lot easier too!

Gary
Old 03-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 66jack

Instead of replacing lock, have a key made...Cheaper than buying 2 new locks...
There is a two or three digit code on the lock cylinder take that to a real lock smith and he will know what to do
Old 03-20-2016, 06:26 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Doug
On my '66, the door lock key is the ignition key. Not true for your car? The other key is for the glovebox.

Gerry

Last edited by Mossy66; 03-20-2016 at 06:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
denneys69 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 07:45 PM
D-FRESH3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mossy66
On my '66, the door lock key is the ignition key. Not true for your car? The other key is for the glovebox.

Gerry
Ignition key doesn't work, old owner said he had separate key but can't locate it now.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:01 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Mossy66;1591815126]On my '66, the door lock key is the ignition key. Not true for your car? The other key is for the glovebox.

Gerry[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same with my car. Someone must have changed either the door locks or ignition.

Gary
Old 03-20-2016, 08:20 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Ignition key doesn't work, old owner said he had separate key but can't locate it now.
Too bad. Well, to remove the door panel, you need to remove the window cranks and the lock ****. there is a type of C clip that holds these on their shafts. You can Google how to remove them, and or how they look. I have had good luck with a 90 degree pick to pull the clips off the shafts.
After that, there are two screws each for the door pull handle and the armrest. Then there are the screws around the front and bottom of the panel, and the panel lifts off. Behind the panel should be a vapor barrier that is just paper, and you are in.

I would maybe advise buying new vapor barriers, and the foam donuts and stuff that go around the crank handle and lock pins that keep air out. The old ones may be junk, and while you are in there....

Gerry
Old 03-21-2016, 12:59 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Mossy66
Too bad. Well, to remove the door panel, you need to remove the window cranks and the lock ****. there is a type of C clip that holds these on their shafts. You can Google how to remove them, and or how they look. I have had good luck with a 90 degree pick to pull the clips off the shafts.
After that, there are two screws each for the door pull handle and the armrest. Then there are the screws around the front and bottom of the panel, and the panel lifts off. Behind the panel should be a vapor barrier that is just paper, and you are in.

I would maybe advise buying new vapor barriers, and the foam donuts and stuff that go around the crank handle and lock pins that keep air out. The old ones may be junk, and while you are in there....

Gerry

The attached PDF has info on removing the "omega" clips from window cranks and lock *****. Hope this helps.

Good luck with the project.
Dave Z
Attached Images
Old 03-21-2016, 07:11 PM
AkrHack
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts

If you want to avoid taking your doors apart to remove the lock cylinders, your best bet may be to call a locksmith that was in business back in the 60s/70s. One of the landlords I rented from back in the day worked at his Dad's locksmith shop and I remember him telling me that these old GM cars have at most 200 or 300 unique key combinations. When his Dad would get a call in the 70s from someone that lost their keys for a GM car, he'd grab a key ring containing pre-made keys of every GM key combination and head off to meet the person that lost their keys. Once he arrived at the the location of the car, the he would methodically try each key until he found a key that would unlock the door. The same process would then be followed for the ignition key. He would then simply make a copies of the appropriate keys for the car owner. Perhaps in your case, you can drive your car to one of these locksmiths talk them into letting you go out in the parking lot with their master key ring. Then you can be the one that painstakingly tries each key on the ring in your door lock until it unlocks.

Last edited by AkrHack; 03-22-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:29 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by AkrHack
If you want to avoid taking your doors apart to remove the lock cylinders, your best bet may be to call a locksmith that was in business back in the 60s/70s. One of the landlords I rented from back in the day worked at his Dad's locksmith shop and I remember him telling me that these old GM cars have at most 200 or 300 unique key combinations. When his Dad would get a call in the 70s from someone that lost their keys for a GM car, he'd grab a key ring containing pre-made keys of every GM key combination and head off to meet the person that lost their keys. Once he arrived at the the location of the car, the he would methodically try each key until he found a key that would unlock the door. The same process would then be followed for the ignition key. He would then simply make a copies of the appropriate keys for the car owner. Perhaps in your case, you can drive your car to one of these locksmiths talk them into letting you go out in the parking lot with their master key ring. Then you can be the one that painstakingly tries each key on the ring in your door lock until it unlocks.
Doug,
If you decide to go after the lock removal option, the attached PDF shows what you will need to take apart to remove the lock cylinders from the doors.
Dave Z
Attached Images

Get notified of new replies

To How Easy Is It To Change Out C2 Door Locks?

Quick Reply: How Easy Is It To Change Out C2 Door Locks?