C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wheel Vintiques rim and center hub

Old 03-20-2016, 09:50 PM
Jofa1963
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wheel Vintiques rim and center hub

I have a 63 convertible driver and I recently purchased a new "Corvette Rallye" rim from Wheel Vintiques to serve as the spare tire. I soon discovered that the new rim's center hub hole is about 1/4 inch bigger than the hub on the vette.

After doing some online searching, I found that some folks just use the rim as is, and others insist that a 'hub centric ring' be used to fill in the space.

I'm wondering what the consensus is regarding using these new rims on a c2?

Can the rims safely be used?

Are the filler rings necessary?

Say something about this photo

Last edited by Jofa1963; 03-20-2016 at 09:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-20-2016, 10:07 PM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Jofa1963
I have a 63 convertible driver and I recently purchased a new "Corvette Rallye" rim from Wheel Vintiques to serve as the spare tire. I soon discovered that the new rim's center hub hole is about 1/4 inch bigger than the hub on the vette.

After doing some online searching, I found that some folks just use the rim as is, and others insist that a 'hub centric ring' be used to fill in the space.

I'm wondering what the consensus is regarding using these new rims on a c2?

Can the rims safely be used?

Are the filler rings necessary?

Say something about this photo
Maybe just the angle of the camera, but the gap between the wheel and the hub does not appear to be constant.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:24 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

If the lug holes are centered radially about the physical center of the rim, and as long as you are using tapered lug nuts, with the correct taper, you should have no problems. Growing up in the 50's and 60's it was very common to run "lug centric" rims in this fashion. Back then there wasn't nearly the variety of different bolt patterns and styles of wheel mounting that there is today. Many folks would purchase pair of non OEM wheels to mount a set of snow tires on that would have a hub hole large enough to fit more than one make of vehicle.

You might want to verify with Wheel Vintiques that the tapered seat is correct for standard Corvette lug nuts, no doubt they are, just to reassure yourself that they will be fine. You could also mount the tire and wheel on one of your hubs and spin the wheel at a modest rpm to verify that it will spin true with tightened lugs.

Good luck... GUSTO
The following users liked this post:
Jofa1963 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 07:48 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,511 Likes on 2,999 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Wheels for C1s and C2s are lug centered. You want the hub hole to be larger than the hub so you don't have two centering mechanisms conflicting with each other. You don't have a problem.

Jim
The following users liked this post:
Jofa1963 (03-21-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Vintiques rim and center hub

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Vintiques rim and center hub