C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

59 restowhatever frame off rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 02:03 PM
bknd
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 59 restowhatever frame off rebuild

I've just started the restoration on my father in law's 1959 Corvette and wanted to be able to share all the fun. This is a NOM car that has has mostly been parked in storage for many years now and needs quite a bit of attention. Plans are a Jim Meyer IFS including power steering and power brakes. We want to make everything work good and look good so we can get it back on the road and enjoy driving it. We will be tackling pretty much everything on the car ourselves with the exception of some help for the new paint job. There is a budget so nothing too crazy, the Jim Meyer front suspension is the only real big departure from stock. Other than some aluminum torq-thrust II wheels and new tires it will look fairly original. I've already started stripping the body in preparation for removing it from the frame. This coming weekend will be a busy one because of Easter so hopefully the next weekend the body will be off and I will be tearing down the frame.
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2016, 02:07 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Very cool!

Why not keep it as it is? Just wondering... Hard to tell what it looks like underneath. I guess that could be a factor.

Manual steering makes for bigger biceps.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:15 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Welcome, and search the archives on the Jim Meyer IFS, lots of good info and pictures on it. Most who have installed it say you don't need the power rack, the manual rack turns so easy it is not worth the extra effort/expense to install the power steering pump, hoses, etc.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:37 PM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Cant wait!
Old 03-23-2016, 03:14 PM
bknd
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
Very cool!

Why not keep it as it is? Just wondering... Hard to tell what it looks like underneath. I guess that could be a factor.

Manual steering makes for bigger biceps.
Good point on the steering.
I've read as many threads as I could find on the Jim Meyer front end and I did seriously consider the manual rack. The goal is to drive it and I just can't imagine not saying "it sure would be nice to have power steering". I guess without trying a manual rack in person I just wasn't comfortable going that route.

That pic makes the car look pretty decent. Up close its a different story, the paint is bad and the drive train needs some attention. Lots of little stuff and things that just get old after many years. The engine is a replacement 283 and other than the leaks it has good compression on all cylinders. The leaf springs are bent and it's starting to get pretty rusty all over. I really just want to make sure it's around to enjoy for another 57 years.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:24 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bknd
Good point on the steering.
I've read as many threads as I could find on the Jim Meyer front end and I did seriously consider the manual rack. The goal is to drive it and I just can't imagine not saying "it sure would be nice to have power steering". I guess without trying a manual rack in person I just wasn't comfortable going that route.

That pic makes the car look pretty decent. Up close its a different story, the paint is bad and the drive train needs some attention. Lots of little stuff and things that just get old after many years. The engine is a replacement 283 and other than the leaks it has good compression on all cylinders. The leaf springs are bent and it's starting to get pretty rusty all over. I really just want to make sure it's around to enjoy for another 57 years.

PTJSK has done the rear suspension Jim Meyer setup. I do think its not a bad idea to replace the front suspension since you can get a collapsible steering column. Nice feature than the spear. Rear leaf springs can be re-arched. I guess its what you are looking for... The Jim Meyer setup has been around for quite awhile and proven. Personally, I did not go that route since at the time I had all of the suspension parts enough to do my rebuild. Looking back I see the benefits of going another route.

Did you ever get a chance to drive the car? If so, another way is to get it running and drive-able and road worthy (safe). Drive it while the parts are arriving. Maybe it will give you a baseline to start off with. Not sure how the engine, trans, brakes or suspension. This way you get to drive it for a short time while parts are on order. You are starting to get into the best months for shows and such.

But its your corvette.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 03-23-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:35 PM
Maddog1
Cruising

I have just finished a complete frame off rebuild of my 1959 Corvette that I have owned for over 52 years. Two things I discovered after 40 years of not driving the car....How much the cockpit had shrunk and how easy the stock steering operated. The steering was the big surprise. It had all new pins, bushings, bearings so in new condition. I would not even consider change. I am a lot older now after 52 years and it is an easy and fun car to drive. I have 670-15 Coker classic radials on the ground. If you plan to put some big wide tires on the front it might make it steer a bit harder. If you could get it on the road to just try it, you might be surprised at how well it steers.
Good luck. My car looked a lot more "worn" than yours does when I started on it.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:50 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Default 59 driver

Originally Posted by Maddog1
I have just finished a complete frame off rebuild of my 1959 Corvette that I have owned for over 52 years. Two things I discovered after 40 years of not driving the car....How much the cockpit had shrunk and how easy the stock steering operated. The steering was the big surprise. It had all new pins, bushings, bearings so in new condition. I would not even consider change. I am a lot older now after 52 years and it is an easy and fun car to drive. I have 670-15 Coker classic radials on the ground. If you plan to put some big wide tires on the front it might make it steer a bit harder. If you could get it on the road to just try it, you might be surprised at how well it steers.
Good luck. My car looked a lot more "worn" than yours does when I started on it.
This is good advise, get it on the road and drive it a bit before pulling the suspension. With RADIAL tires and a new set of shocks, it will handle quite well and much better than original. Also, think about this as you begin, are you trying to preserve the car in the state you got it (the way your dad had it) or do you want to make it into something else? I have had my 59 since the young and dumb days of the 70's and I enjoy driving it (but with some modern upgrades). I/M/O enjoy it for what it is and do all the safety stuff like Tires, Brakes, Fuel system.
Consider a rolling restoration - fix a little, drive it, decide what's important to you next. Pilot Dan

B/T/W from a distance it does not look too bad, consider posting some more pictures for better input from CF

Last edited by Pilot Dan; 03-23-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:32 PM
bknd
Heel & Toe

Here are some better pics so you can see what I'm dealing with. Yes I've driven the car and it wasn't very fun. Scary would be more accurate. I had it out a couple years ago and the steering is very loose, you feel like a drunk driver at 35mph, forget about going any faster. The drum brakes were also out of adjustment so a moderate, not extreme press of the brakes resulted in driving in the oncoming lane. Needless to say it is definitely time for this old Vette to get some much needed attention. I have the new suspension, power rack, wheels, tires, p/s pump and some other odds and ends. I ordered the suspension last summer and I felt like it took forever to get the suspension from Jim Meyer. It ended up not being a big deal because I was busy restoring the frame for a 71 LeMans T-37. This winter I hoped to start on it but I moved into a new house and the garage wasn't heated or insulated. It looked finished though, all taped and textured, but they didn't put in any insulation. Anyway here it is a year later than I hoped, but now it's time to get busy.
Attached Images     

Last edited by bknd; 03-23-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:03 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks like good "bones"!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:08 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Yeah, the old girl needs some attention
Old 03-24-2016, 02:15 AM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 136 Posts

fix whats broken before you decide to take it all apart, you just might like driving it the way it was.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:59 AM
bknd
Heel & Toe

I spent a few more hours last night getting ready to take the body off. It's getting really close now, all I have left is the fuel line and the body mounts. I've been lucky so far and haven't had issues with rusted in hardware. The only problem I had was a bolt on the back bumper bracket that broke off, but it was one that had a nut on the back side of it so no big deal. More concerning is the number of missing bolts. I was especially surprised that there weren't any nuts holding the radiator support bolts and one of the seat belt mounts was missing a bolt. The car didn't have seat belts anyway, but when it's done it will definitely have all the necessary bolts. I will also be installing a set of seat belts, just in case anyone is wondering.
Attached Images  

Last edited by bknd; 03-24-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:09 AM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

While you have the body off, you might also consider putting in the Jim Meyer rear four bar and Ford 9" setup. If that rear end is an original posi you could recover some of your cost selling it on ebay. If you go to a high torque motor eventually the stock rear end won't be able to handle it. It would already cost you some $$ to replace the stock leaf springs and get new shocks, anyway. Plus with the Meyer real you can install wider rear wheels.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:46 AM
bknd
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
While you have the body off, you might also consider putting in the Jim Meyer rear four bar and Ford 9" setup. If that rear end is an original posi you could recover some of your cost selling it on ebay. If you go to a high torque motor eventually the stock rear end won't be able to handle it. It would already cost you some $$ to replace the stock leaf springs and get new shocks, anyway. Plus with the Meyer real you can install wider rear wheels.
That's a very good point. I'm looking at spending about $700 to replace and rebuild the stock suspension and rear end. I don't think that we will end up changing the engine any time soon, but if we do you are right on. It would be nice to do it now with the body off, but I would guess that is about a $3,000 bill and I'm already stretching the budget as far as I can.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:30 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Hello Brant, and congrads on rebuilding the car.

As Jim and Loren refer to the Jim Meyer four bar I thought I would give you a little encouragement. Although I do understand about budgets!!

Also, as Maddog states how easy the original steering is once it's rebuilt is right on. I kept the original front end with the exception of disc brakes long ago.

The non-power steering truly is effortless. And I even installed the reduced size steering wheel.

Anyway, keep us informed of the rebuild.

Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 03-24-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:30 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

If you are tight on finances, a body off restoration does not sound like the best idea to me right now. Not trying to be a wet blanket here, but once you go down that road, there will be many more items to fix replace, and restore that you had not previously considered. Great if you can do all the work, but the parts still cost. Don't get yourself into a spot where it's all apart and you run out of money and can't finish it. Seen too many well intentioned people end up selling boxes of parts that were once complete cars that got in over their heads. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 59 restowhatever frame off rebuild

Old 03-24-2016, 11:21 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
If you are tight on finances, a body off restoration does not sound like the best idea to me right now. Not trying to be a wet blanket here, but once you go down that road, there will be many more items to fix replace, and restore that you had not previously considered. Great if you can do all the work, but the parts still cost. Don't get yourself into a spot where it's all apart and you run out of money and can't finish it. Seen too many well intentioned people end up selling boxes of parts that were once complete cars that got in over their heads. Whatever you decide, good luck.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:41 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Most of the missing stuff is easy to replace but adds up quickly and not original. As soon as you go to a body off restoration things changes. You break a bolt apart then a new bolt set is required. Accidentally tore weatherstripping new weatherstripping required. Don't want to use the same body mount kit new body mounts required.

If money is not a problem then take it as far as you want to take it. If you are on a budget then plan ahead on what you need to complete.

Just some questions I wish I would have asked myself when I started:
Do the chassis parts need to be sandblasted and painted the frame?
Do I want to go dual master cylinder and disk brakes?
Does any of the stainless or chrome need work?
Do I need to replace all fuel lines and brake lines?
Do I need to replace the exhaust?
What about the body and paint?
How is the interior?
Does any of the gauges work?
How is the engine/transmission?
Does it need a new radiator?
Do I want to keep the stock tires and wheels?
How is the wiring? Do I rely on 50+ years of wiring?
Does top fit and how is the convertible top or hardtop?
How is the body mount and metal work?
How is the fiberglass? Do I want to do a rotisserie body work?

Whatever you think you are going to spend double it because the small stuff adds up. You can easily blow your budget as soon as you go body off restoration.

From the pictures, it looks good enough to get it safely running and driving and on the road. You have a lot more there than I started off with.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:42 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Like most have already said if your doing the frame off and will be using the JMR front suspension and have to buy new rear leafs and other components the JMR four link is the way to go. You might also consider putting side motor mounts. For me power steering is not needed even with the smaller steering wheel.
Here's a link to some off my pictures:
http://s35.photobucket.com/user/62f7...?sort=3&page=1

I do have some other pictures of the JMR front supension but will have to scan them.

Rich

Quick Reply: 59 restowhatever frame off rebuild