C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

SRIII C4/C5 or C6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 10:52 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

Default SRIII C4/C5 or C6?

If you used a SRIII frame, what made you chose one combination or the other? Also are there pitfalls to watch out for?
Old 03-31-2016, 11:28 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

I used C6 because of the perceived "latest and greatest" idea. It's either C4 or C5/c6 as c5 and c6 are very similar. You can put 12" wheels in rear with c5/c6 setup and widened quarters. Not sure if you can go that big with c4 and widened quarters, check with SRIII. Also, you have to cut the whole floor and inner wheelhouses out to raise the floor and move the wheelhouses in. Maybe not so much with c4. Best to call SRIII and ask the question, its been 4 years since I bought mine. Might want to throw in C7 into the mix since that is now the latest and greatest, but its still pretty much the same as C6.

Last edited by Ken Sungela; 03-31-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:33 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
I used C6 because of the perceived "latest and greatest" idea. It's either C4 or C5/c6 as c5 and c6 are very similar. You can put 12" wheels in rear with c5/c6 setup and widened quarters. Not sure if you can go that big with c4 and widened quarters, check with SRIII. Also, you have to cut the whole floor and inner wheelhouses out to raise the floor and move the wheelhouses in. Maybe not so much with c4. Best to call SRIII and ask the question, its been 4 years since I bought mine. Might want to throw in C7 into the mix since that is now the latest and greatest, but its still pretty much the same as C6.
I do want a wider rear wheels and I did call them. We discusses some options. Did you do the work yourself? If so how did you patch the rear opening after cutting it out? With the provided 'glass panels?

Last edited by vjjack04; 03-31-2016 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-31-2016, 11:38 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

Here's my build thread, https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-project.html
pages 2 and 3 show what I did. I did it all myself with a sheet of fiberglass from McMaster and resin, mat, and body filler.
Buy the premade floors he now sells and save yourself the labor.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:02 AM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
Here's my build thread, https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-project.html
pages 2 and 3 show what I did. I did it all myself with a sheet of fiberglass from McMaster and resin, mat, and body filler.
Buy the premade floors he now sells and save yourself the labor.
Thanks, I will do that (getting the premade floors).
Old 04-01-2016, 01:34 AM
TNVettGuy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vjjack04
I do want a wider rear wheels and I did call them. We discusses some options. Did you do the work yourself? If so how did you patch the rear opening after cutting it out? With the provided 'glass panels?
I am taking delivery of my SRIII in the next week as it was completed today. I had the same struggle. I ended up going with the C5/C6 setup. At the time they started my build, Mine was the second one to get a new setup for the rear end, a Camaro ZL1 rear end. This enabled me to keep the stock fenders and still have 345's in the rear without having a quick-change.

Here is what a good friend of mine told me and I will relay the same thing to you. If it is just for you and you have zero intentions of selling, go with what your budget can afford. C4 will be just fine but if you like performance and the newness, go with the C5/C6 setup. I do not plan or racing or taking to the track but if you do, the only way to go is the beefier setup.

There is a huge cost difference. If you can do it, go C5/C6 with the ZL1 rear end. You will have zero regrets and will be able to keep your stock fenders. I too am getting the fiberglass panels for the rear. VERY simple to cut out and toss the old and glass the new in place.

Thanks - Matt

Last edited by TNVettGuy; 04-01-2016 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:20 AM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TNVettGuy
I am taking delivery of my SRIII in the next week as it was completed today. I had the same struggle. I ended up going with the C5/C6 setup. At the time they started my build, Mine was the second one to get a new setup for the rear end, a Camaro ZL1 rear end. This enabled me to keep the stock fenders and still have 345's in the rear without having a quick-change.

Here is what a good friend of mine told me and I will relay the same thing to you. If it is just for you and you have zero intentions of selling, go with what your budget can afford. C4 will be just fine but if you like performance and the newness, go with the C5/C6 setup. I do not plan or racing or taking to the track but if you do, the only way to go is the beefier setup.

There is a huge cost difference. If you can do it, go C5/C6 with the ZL1 rear end. You will have zero regrets and will be able to keep your stock fenders. I too am getting the fiberglass panels for the rear. VERY simple to cut out and toss the old and glass the new in place.

Thanks - Matt
Thanks man...we may become new best friends....I just sent Mike an email asking for the difference between c4 and c6 based suspension. ..I want to ensure no mods to outside body but still have performance for possible autocross. ...track time....looks promising. ...ls3 and 5sp will be my base architecture. ..
Old 04-02-2016, 12:53 AM
TNVettGuy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C1 of Year Finalist

Thanks man...we may become new best friends....I just sent Mike an email asking for the difference between c4 and c6 based suspension. ..I want to ensure no mods to outside body but still have performance for possible autocross. ...track time....looks promising. ...ls3 and 5sp will be my base architecture. ..
Very cool. I am working out shipping arrangements as I type. Mike is good and will steer you in the right direction. I too am going with the LS3 and a T56 6 speed Connect & Cruise. Keep in touch!

Matt
Old 04-02-2016, 01:09 AM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Very cool. I am working out shipping arrangements as I type. Mike is good and will steer you in the right direction. I too am going with the LS3 and a T56 6 speed Connect & Cruise. Keep in touch!

Matt
Very interesting coincidence brother, I will say in touch, what year again?

I live in hereford AZ within 5 miles of Mexico. ...were are you in TN? I was at FT Campbell back in 1990....near Nashville....so I have a little perspective wrt the state...

Last edited by vjjack04; 04-02-2016 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-02-2016, 04:30 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

I live in hereford AZ within 5 miles of Mexico. ...were are you in TN? I was at FT Campbell back in 1990....near Nashville....so I have a little perspective wrt the state...
OK, I called Mike and gave a deposit on the c6 based frame. Now in waiting mode....a lot of money, but I think it will be fun.

Last edited by vjjack04; 04-02-2016 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-02-2016, 08:47 PM
Beggers
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

You made a good choice, Mike is "best in class" as a builder for the modernization of the C2's.
I have used his c4/5 on my 58 and most recently the full C7 suspension under my split window. I drives as smooth as my new c7, full of comfort and power without altering the outside of the body. Pricey but in line with the value of a modernized split window. Brian

Old 04-02-2016, 09:57 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Nice...nice car. I am already comparing wheels and tires...plus I have decided on the 480 horse ls3....should be fun...
Old 04-02-2016, 10:44 PM
TNVettGuy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C1 of Year Finalist

I am in Thompsons Station just south of Franklin. About 20 miles south of Nashville. Great part of the country.

I see your other post about putting the deposit down. VERY smart. In total, it will be 6 months from when I placed my order to receiving it. I do not know what his wait time is now but the wait is well worth it.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:48 PM
TNVettGuy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C1 of Year Finalist

Nice...nice car. I am already comparing wheels and tires...plus I have decided on the 480 horse ls3....should be fun...
I just changed my mind today to go with the 480 HP as well. This is the setup I am going with:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Perf...06180003590759

There is a $500 rebate until Dec 31.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:53 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

I just changed my mind today to go with the 480 HP as well. This is the setup I am going with:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Perf...06180003590759

There is a $500 rebate until Dec 31.
Interesting, does that transmission fit the factory tunnel?....I was going to use a tko
5 spd....
Old 04-03-2016, 04:50 PM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 45 Posts

I used the c5 front / c4 rear on mine. I went w/ the C4 rear because I wanted to keep the outside of the body completely stock and still allow me to use wide wheels with a bit of lip. Cost was also a factor and I used the extra $ elswhere on my build. I went w/ a ls3 (567 hp) and TKO600 so I did not have to do any mods to the trans tunnel. My build is 4+ years old now so a ZL1 option wasn't available at the time.

I have a convertable so I had SRIII use their wheel tubs on my build to allow room for the top when it's down. I knew I did not want to use rims bigger than 18" so my tire options were limited. (There looks to be plenty of room underneath if I wanted to go wider.) I used 285x40x18 tires on 10" wide rims on the rear because the height is 27" (same as the stock 15" tires). They are still pretty wide and look proportional to the car IMHO..below are a couple pics for you to see what I'm talking about. It's all a matter taste and what you like. Here is my build thread if you as well: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-restomod.html

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:08 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the info. I will look at your thread...those wheels are nice.

Get notified of new replies

To SRIII C4/C5 or C6?

Old 02-20-2017, 01:35 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Any updates on your Corvette Project?
Old 02-25-2017, 08:42 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by solidaxel
Any updates on your Corvette Project?
Thanks for asking....I have been out of town for work a lot recently. I also, sort of, took a while to figure out what wheels and tires I would use.....plus we had a bad wind storm a month or so ago and had to deal with damage from that....anyway back to the 67....wanted to get the wheels and tires before I glued in all the rear wheel wells and stuff....just to verify that it fits...they do as I put 12.5 inch wide by 19 rims from a 2013 grand sport on the back with 325s....as I said, the inside seems like it will fit fine...however I am a little concerned about the outer fenders....Mike at SRIII said it would work with these rims and the stock outer fenders....looks tight, I hope he is right...maybe the rear has enough adjust-ability to make it work..I will finally start the adhesive process in the next week....see pictures attached with wheels on it and all the dust washed off...no engine and trans yet...
Attached Images     
Old 02-25-2017, 09:54 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Very Nice!
You are moving right along, you are ahead of me
That is going to be a nice ride

Quick Reply: SRIII C4/C5 or C6?