C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Oil Starvation at 4000

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 09:01 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,022 Likes on 682 Posts

Interested to see the outcome. I think you corrected the low pressure leak. High? Not sure. When I was young and foolish I ran a 283 wide open for several miles. After probably 10 minutes the oil light came on and scared me good. Immediately killed the engine and coasted to the side of the road. Could find nothing. I assumed the oil pumped up and became too low in the sump.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:05 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Interested in your outcome. I believe you've fixed your low oil pressure, but not sure about the 4K issue. Once when I was young and foolish, I ran a 283 for about 10 minutes wide open. The oil pressure light came on and scared me good. Immediately shut down the engine and coasted to the side of the road. Checked everything and found nothing. My assumption was the oil was pumped out of the sump faster than it returned to the sump.
The following users liked this post:
C4toC2 (05-03-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 12:20 AM
C4toC2
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit
I ran my stock L-79 1966 for hours at3,500 to 4,000 RPMs
Out west and in Europe. Engine with 300,000 miles... Remember it was my problem that led you to think of front plugs. I hope it works for you

Ps I do run at 60lbs+ oil pressure 50 when really hot

Jack
That is good to know - Is the L79 the 350 hp and does it have the same pan I do? (300 hp) I had heard that the Fuel injected car had a longer pan that held 5 quarts in the pan and would not fit with power steering. Having said that, if we assume at least a quart is in the system on it's way back to the pan, filling to pan to 5 quarts should be fine - that is 5 quarts in the 4 quart pan + a quart in the filter.

I assume you are running a HV pump with the 70 psi bypass spring?

The engine is back in the car, may get it running this week. Next weekend being mother's day, will not see much car work.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:24 AM
C4toC2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
When these were new guys would head across Nevada with no speed limits and run at 4,000 RPM Plus for hours with no problems with the oil system.
Yours has a problem/had a problem.
Yep - mixed stories - With the leak in the front fixed - I should be able to do that? I guess I'm going to find out
Old 05-02-2016, 12:41 AM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by C4toC2
That is good to know - Is the L79 the 350 hp and does it have the same pan I do? (300 hp) I had heard that the Fuel injected car had a longer pan that held 5 quarts in the pan and would not fit with power steering. Having said that, if we assume at least a quart is in the system on it's way back to the pan, filling to pan to 5 quarts should be fine - that is 5 quarts in the 4 quart pan + a quart in the filter.

The engine is back in the car, may get it running this week. Next weekend being mother's day, will not see much car work.
Let us know how it works?

My '63 runs 4000 rpm for extended trips of an hour or more. The 4.10 gear and 220/60s can make 80mph freeway travel buzzy. I run an 8 qt winged pan with no pressure loss. A windage tray or screen helps.

I keep about an inch and a half oil depth in the sump. More oil, and the engine during a high rpm trip wants to use it. It will blow vapor, enough that I fabbed an external oil separator for the pcv line to recover and minimize the loss.

Too much oil can be a problem.

A question, for all, how much oil depth is needed in the pan?
Old 05-02-2016, 08:15 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Hi, regular Melling Pump....they tend to run high on pressure....Yes L-79 is the 327/350 . Don't know size of pan. but 5 plus a little more will put it at full. When I rebuilt the engine, we put the front plugs in (first builder forgot) but also we found that the rear oil passage near distributor was full of gump sludge.

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 05-02-2016 at 08:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
C4toC2 (05-03-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 02:42 PM
C4toC2
Instructor

Primed the system and fired up the engine last night to set the timing. Warmed up the engine to water temp 190 and the got the oil temp to 190 measured via a laser thermometer on the pan. With oil temp of 190, I have 23 psi of oil pressure at 950 rpm.
Need to see what the oil psi will be at a temperature of 220 degrees - which will require harder workout than just idling in the drive way
Old 05-05-2016, 04:15 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

I think I'd take the tube off the back of the gage and flush it with the engine pressure before continuing. It's difficult not to spill oil in the interior, but would be worth it. Pull the coil wire, crank it over.

You'd be OK with that, but I'm surprised it isn't about 30.

Last edited by pop23235; 05-05-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

I believe two gauges were tested and two oil pumps were used.
Idle oil pressure Hot should be well above 30 PSI based on the information provided.

Can you clarify one thing and I am not intending to insult just to clarify.

Was the plasti gauge used for your measurements placed in the direction of travel on the crankshaft or perpendicular. It should lay across the direction of rotation and should be measured at the crown of the caps, the highest point which is also the place with the least clearance. Placed anywhere else you get a bum read.

Based on what you tested and we read here it sounds like your Mains and Rods are loose, maybe .003 or greater. I know you stated they measured .002 but that is not consistent with your gauge.

Are your bearings stock profile or racing profile? Race bearings have much more clearance and would need a high volume pump.

I wish I had asked these questions a couple weeks ago.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:52 PM
C4toC2
Instructor

I believe two gauges were tested and two oil pumps were used.
Idle oil pressure Hot should be well above 30 PSI based on the information provided.

Can you clarify one thing and I am not intending to insult just to clarify.

Was the plasti gauge used for your measurements placed in the direction of travel on the crankshaft or perpendicular. It should lay across the direction of rotation and should be measured at the crown of the caps, the highest point which is also the place with the least clearance. Placed anywhere else you get a bum read.

Based on what you tested and we read here it sounds like your Mains and Rods are loose, maybe .003 or greater. I know you stated they measured .002 but that is not consistent with your gauge.

Are your bearings stock profile or racing profile? Race bearings have much more clearance and would need a high volume pump.

I wish I had asked these questions a couple weeks ago.
I think I got that right - the plastigauge was opposite the piston/bottom of the bearing - center of the cap in all cases. The Plastic was laid front to back with respect to the engine/across the bearing.

I will take no offense - I find that I'm learning things constantly -

Aaron
Old 05-09-2016, 12:54 PM
C4toC2
Instructor

I think I got that right - the plastigauge was opposite the piston/bottom of the bearing - center of the cap in all cases. The Plastic was laid front to back with respect to the engine/across the bearing.

I will take no offense - I find that I'm learning things constantly -

Aaron
Also - I should add - this is with the standard pump back in. Based on past experience, the HV pump would probably have 30 psi for this scenario.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:24 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I had a similar issue when I installed a standard melling pump. During the first rebuild (other problems than the pump) I installed a HP/HV pump. The drill almost burned out with the load while priming the engine during the first attempt to run the engine.

I pulled the engine due to rings not sealing and wanted to do some more work on the heads. During the second attempt I bought a new standard melling M55 pump. During startup I only got 7 pounds on the oil gauge. Quickly, I shut down the engine. Then went here to ask some questions. I received a lot of good suggestions.

I disassembled the engine and check all of the clearances once more. I found nothing wrong so I decided to install the the old HP/HV pump which was barely used (300 miles on the engine) back on. Sure enough the extremely low pressure was caused by the standard melling pump. Oil pressure problem was fixed.

My symptoms was only getting 7 lbs of pressure at idle it would climb up to 12 lbs. There was hardly any oil reaching the top of the rockers. I should noticed the problem during the rebuild since the drill did not have any load while priming. Plus, I did not check the pressure (rookie mistake) the an oil gauge. The extra gauge/tester was sitting on a shelf while I was priming the engine on the engine stand. Mistake on my part since had to pull the engine once more and check all of the clearances.

Check your pump. I had a bad melling pump right off the shelf. The pickup was brazed and at the correct position as the old replaced HP/HV. We took apart the pump and tested it. Sure enough it was defective. It happens...

Put the old HP/HV and now get high pressure and some small leaks which is the downside.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:03 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

In the early 90's we had a production issue with oil pumps, an entire run had low oil pressure.
When you plastiguaged the clearance between the gears and gear cover on these it was almost .005. These all had terrible low idle pressure. < 10 psi.
You cuould remove the cover and take .003 off the pump and the
Same pump would jump to 40 si at idle. I did one on a piece of glass with valve lapping compound with same result. These all had good internals and good pressure relief springs.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:03 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

In the early 90's we had a production issue with oil pumps, an entire run had low oil pressure.
When you plastiguaged the clearance between the gears and gear cover on these it was almost .005. These all had terrible low idle pressure. < 10 psi.
Same pump would jump to 40 si at idle. I did one on a piece of glass with valve lapping compound with same result. These all had good internals and good pressure relief springs.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:35 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

The pump I bought probably was from the 90s knowing the person who sold me the "new" pump.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:50 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Did you get to test drive this yet? Curious how the Oil pressure is at 3,000 RPM hot after your repair. Hope it is much better.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:34 AM
C4toC2
Instructor

Did you get to test drive this yet? Curious how the Oil pressure is at 3,000 RPM hot after your repair. Hope it is much better.
The latest - with the plug in the front of the engine re-set such that there is no leak and installation of
the standard pump with a new pickup - I need to remember to go back and Tig welded it.

Oil is Valvoline 10/30 standard, about 5.5 quarts - I was instructed by the shop to run non synthetic for the first 4K miles.

1. Cold oil pressure at idle is 55 - 60 psi.
2. Oil pressure at normal operating temp 190 degree F and 850 rpm idle = 23 psi
3. Oil pressure hot 220 degree at 850 rpm idle = 14 psi. I guess I'm now OK with that.

4. Oil pressure cold(starting to warm up) at 2000 rpm 65psi
5. Oil pressure hot at 2000 rpm 40 psi
6. Oil pressure hot at 4500 rpm 47 psi

looking at these numbers, although the pump is new, it is possible the pump is a bit sloppy. I'm also
curious to see what the pressures are when I switch over to synthetic.

So that is where I'm at today - and I think I'm going to run with these numbers for a while.
One thing about the HV pump, the pickup tube needs to clear the internal baffle in the pan and
because the actual pump is longer (sits lower in the pan), for the pickup tube to clear the baffle, the pickup itself needs
to sit higher in the pan - I didn't like this and would modify the pan prior to using the HV pump such that the pickup
is 3/8 of the bottom where it needs to be.

I have looked at the Allstar 6 quart pan - anyone out there ever used one of these. What I'm after is more capacity without
making the pan deeper and putting it in harms (speed bumps) way.

Thanks to the group for all the help as I worked through this. Now - on to the air-conditioning.

Aaron

Last edited by C4toC2; 05-13-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Starvation at 4000

Old 05-13-2016, 03:21 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 125 Posts

The latest - with the plug in the front of the engine re-set such that there is no leak and installation of
the standard pump with a new pickup - I need to remember to go back and Tig welded it.

Oil is Valvoline 10/30 standard, about 5.5 quarts - I was instructed by the shop to run non synthetic for the first 4K miles.

1. Cold oil pressure at idle is 55 - 60 psi.
2. Oil pressure at normal operating temp 190 degree F and 850 rpm idle = 23 psi
3. Oil pressure hot 220 degree at 850 rpm idle = 14 psi. I guess I'm now OK with that.

4. Oil pressure cold(starting to warm up) at 2000 rpm 65psi
5. Oil pressure hot at 2000 rpm 40 psi
6. Oil pressure hot at 4500 rpm 47 psi

looking at these numbers, although the pump is new, it is possible the pump is a bit sloppy. I'm also
curious to see what the pressures are when I switch over to synthetic.

So that is where I'm at today - and I think I'm going to run with these numbers for a while.
One thing about the HV pump, the pickup tube needs to clear the internal baffle in the pan and
because the actual pump is longer (sits lower in the pan), for the pickup tube to clear the baffle, the pickup itself needs
to sit higher in the pan - I didn't like this and would modify the pan prior to using the HV pump such that the pickup
is 3/8 of the bottom where it needs to be.

I have looked at the Allstar 6 quart pan - anyone out there ever used one of these. What I'm after is more capacity without
making the pan deeper and putting it in harms (speed bumps) way.

Thanks to the group for all the help as I worked through this. Now - on to the air-conditioning.

Aaron
I use an Aviad pan in the road race car. It does not reduce your clearance.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:04 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I always take mine down to .0005-.001". Work great!

JIM
Old 05-13-2016, 06:10 PM
snoopybob
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe your oil pump pickup tube fell off. I have seen that.

Quick Reply: Oil Starvation at 4000