C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

54/55 upper trunk latch repair

Old 04-04-2016, 11:23 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 76 Posts
Default 54/55 upper trunk latch repair

I'm repairing the upper trunk latch area that was damaged and poorly repaired on my 55 years ago. I've removed the fiberglass mat that was used to repair this area and separated a small fiberglass box which I refer to as the upper latch support from the trunk lid. (It was covered by fiberglass mat.)

1. How is this support supposed to be attached to the trunk lid? Mine was repaired with fiberglass mat, but it appears it was originally attached with screws or possibly rivets.

2. If screws or rivets, how many and in what locations? (pictures would be helpful).

2. There is what I call a notch visible from the license area. Mine was covered with bondo, so not evident below the license. Is this notch area supposed to be filled in or left visible as in the photo below?

I have attached two photos which I hope will illustrate my questions.

PS. The trunk latch support was literally filled with bondo and fiberglass and overlaid with woven mat and resin. I used a head gun (my new friend) to slowly separate the mat and bondo to salvage this piece. Worked great.

Fiberglass latch support on underside of trunk lid

"Notch" appearing in license area (Ignore hole in floor)
Old 04-05-2016, 06:37 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Some of these photos might help.

The small fiberglass box is called the desiccant box. Material placed in the box absorbs moisture, keeping the license lens from fogging up.

http://ckautollc.phanfare.com/493056...geID=116881256

Last edited by Chuck Gongloff; 04-05-2016 at 07:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ktholin (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Some of these photos might help.

The small fiberglass box is called the desiccant box. Material placed in the box absorbs moisture, keeping the license lens from fogging up.

http://ckautollc.phanfare.com/493056...geID=116881256
Thanks, but the small box I was referring to is not the desiccant box. It is the piece to which the metal trunk latch is attached to. You can see it resting in place in the first photo I posted. Sorry my nomenclature wasn't clear.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:18 AM
54vetteguy
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts

I am in the process of restoring an early 54 and familiar with the repair of the latch housing you are referring to. Mine was in pretty bad shape from the trunk being slammed down over the years but Brett Henderson (Vettedaddy) provided me with a replacement assembly he had fabricated from a mold he made. The unit was held in place by 4 body rivets not screws. I used rivets along with some Glasin to give it more strength when bonding to the trunk lid.

As far as the groved "valley" in the bottom of the license plate recess, you need to leave this intact since any moisture that gets into the closed license housing it will need to go somewhere so it runs out this recess and between a small elongated opening between the trunk skin and the trunk reinforcement. If you run a thin wire into the recess you will see. mine was filled with some debris which i cleared out.

Here is a photo of the latch reinforcement from Chuck's site.
http://ckautollc.phanfare.com/493056...geID=121032648

GREAT bunch of photos on the site that I have referred to time and time again. Very thankful he keeps them up for us to refer to.

John Lanning
Ktholin (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 08:42 AM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 54vetteguy
I am in the process of restoring an early 54 and familiar with the repair of the latch housing you are referring to. Mine was in pretty bad shape from the trunk being slammed down over the years but Brett Henderson (Vettedaddy) provided me with a replacement assembly he had fabricated from a mold he made. The unit was held in place by 4 body rivets not screws. I used rivets along with some Glasin to give it more strength when bonding to the trunk lid.

As far as the groved "valley" in the bottom of the license plate recess, you need to leave this intact since any moisture that gets into the closed license housing it will need to go somewhere so it runs out this recess and between a small elongated opening between the trunk skin and the trunk reinforcement. If you run a thin wire into the recess you will see. mine was filled with some debris which i cleared out.

GREAT bunch of photos on the site that I have referred to time and time again. Very thankful he keeps them up for us to refer to.

John Lanning
Great explanation, thanks. Chuck's photos were just what I needed. You also cleared up the purpose of this recess. Of course the small opening in mine has been obliterated, so I'll have to figure a way to restore it.

I wonder if Brett Henderson has or could make a trunk latch housing for me? You can see mine is pretty bad shape.

Finally, is the Glasin you refer to similar to VPA. I've tried to Googl it, but couldn't find it. Thanks again.

Keith
Old 04-05-2016, 09:26 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,421 Likes on 734 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Common repair
If the keys are missing or the latch wont open - alot people break the latch out of the bottom of the lis plate pocket.

- The latch is riveted and "glued" to the bottom of the lic plate pocket - 53 is different than 54 !!!! - the rivets orientation is different
- make sure the plate threads are good !!!!!!!!!!
- Keep the notch open - it is a drain - there is a slot on the edge of the trunk lid - it is supposed to drain water out of the lic plate - pocket - the slot looks like a slice....

Last edited by csherman; 04-05-2016 at 09:29 AM.
54vetteguy (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 07:04 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 54vetteguy

John Lanning
John,

Any chance you have Brett Henderson's contact information? I was not able to find him using the member's search.

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To 54/55 upper trunk latch repair

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 54/55 upper trunk latch repair