C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1957 steel valve covers - paint script silver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 11:13 AM
smokdfsh
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1957 steel valve covers - paint script silver?

I'm removing the aluminum finned valve covers that were a later addition and restore the original steel covers for my base engine '57. I'm not sure if my steel covers have original paint or not. The embossed script is now highlighted in silver.
Is this correct? Should I paint the text silver and if so, does it get Argent silver like the oil fill tube?
Old 04-09-2016, 01:03 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by smokdfsh
I'm removing the aluminum finned valve covers that were a later addition and restore the original steel covers for my base engine '57. I'm not sure if my steel covers have original paint or not. The embossed script is now highlighted in silver.
Is this correct? Should I paint the text silver and if so, does it get Argent silver like the oil fill tube?
Painted '56 valve covers had the script highlighted in silver, and it is believed that it might have carried over into early '57s in order to use them up. I don't know what the serial number change might have been. Do you have an early car?

Rich
Old 04-09-2016, 01:39 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,527 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by MidShark
Painted '56 valve covers had the script highlighted in silver, and it is believed that it might have carried over into early '57s in order to use them up. I don't know what the serial number change might have been. Do you have an early car?

Rich
I'm of the opinion that later '57 steel valve covers might NOT have had the silver script. I own an unrestored, unrebuilt, and unmolested late '57 engine which shows no surviving trace of silver script. (I've had this engine for almost 50 years).

However, just to add to the confusion, there has been posted here a photo of '59 engines in the factory which clearly do show painted script.

Smokd: If you want to hedge your bets, do this:

1. Paint the top of the valve cover silver.

2. Paint the whole valve cover engine orange, covering up the silver completely.

3. If ever you obtain compelling evidence the script should be silver, gently remove the engine orange from the script, exposing the silver paint underneath.

This will get you the neatest looking silver script possible.... if you need it.

Jim
Old 04-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Jim has the right approach here. I do it that way on license plates.

If you can use lacquer first, and then topcoat with enamel --makes things much easier when wiping off.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:12 PM
smokdfsh
Intermediate

You guys are awesome. All really good advise.
The car is really late. Nearly a '58. I'll do as Jim advises and hide silver under the orange.

BTW, I'm looking for an original oil fill cap as this unfortunately was not saved.
Thank you,
Chris
Old 04-09-2016, 07:38 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
However, just to add to the confusion, there has been posted here a photo of '59 engines in the factory which clearly do show painted script.
Jim, that photo was taken at the Tarrytown, New York assembly plant - those are passenger car engines. '57-'61 Corvette base engine valve covers didn't have highlighted script.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:54 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Jim, that photo was taken at the Tarrytown, New York assembly plant - those are passenger car engines. '57-'61 Corvette base engine valve covers didn't have highlighted script.
John, So the difference is not necessarily the assembly plant , but the engine plant? Some passenger cars received Flint engines rather than Tonawanda engines.

Verne
Old 04-09-2016, 09:43 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by W Guy
John, So the difference is not necessarily the assembly plant , but the engine plant? Some passenger cars received Flint engines rather than Tonawanda engines.

Verne
Yes - Corvette and passenger car or truck engines each had different stamped suffix codes that defined their mechanical configuration (either one digit or two), and in some cases Flint and Tonawanda both built the same engine (usually a high-volume standard engine), and in some cases Flint was the sole supplier of a given engine (like solid-lifter performance engines, fuel-injection engines, Corvette engines, etc.). You will also find Canadian McKinnon Industries-built ("K") engines in some U.S. cars built in the northeastern plants, where you'd never find a McKinnon engine in a Midwest or west coast assembly plant. Most of the engines used in passenger cars and trucks built at Oshawa and Ste. Therese came from McKinnon, so not many were seen in the U.S.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:50 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

John,
I recently ran across a 61 Corvette engine on which the casting number ended in 180.
I understand that it was a Tonawanda engine that was used in some Corvettes.
Did that engine have the plug above the timing chain cover?
I forgot to look.
Thanks,
Bruce B
Old 04-10-2016, 03:17 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I have a 56 Belair, 3 owner, 76K original miles, engine never apart, original patina, and NEVER has an different color paint on the Chevrolet script.

The valve covers are clearly solid 56 Chevy red. The car is an August 56 built car.

I cannot track down the original source of this "script painted a different colors" for 1955-1957 Chevrolets. It is written lots of places, but no one seems to know the original source of the info.

Base motor steel valve covers on Corvettes are solid color.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:36 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ohiovet
John,
I recently ran across a 61 Corvette engine on which the casting number ended in 180.
I understand that it was a Tonawanda engine that was used in some Corvettes.
Did that engine have the plug above the timing chain cover?
I forgot to look.
Thanks,
Bruce B
The only block ever used in a Corvette that ended in "180" was the 3858180, used in a VERY small number of 64's or 65's to ensure machining compatibility between Flint and Tonawanda castings. Those trial 327 blocks were cast at Tonawanda, but all machining and assembly took place at Flint; they were all stamped with an "F" prefix on the pad, and had the plug above the timing cover that was unique to the Flint machining process.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:36 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

You guys are awesome. All really good advise.
The car is really late. Nearly a '58. I'll do as Jim advises and hide silver under the orange.

BTW, I'm looking for an original oil fill cap as this unfortunately was not saved.
Thank you,
Chris
It this the cap you are looking for?
Attached Images     
Old 04-10-2016, 05:41 PM
smokdfsh
Intermediate

that looks like the right cap. Now I can't remember if the base engine has the black paint or is zinc. The holes look right. Wonder how the filter material disappeared?
Did that decal survive all those years?
Old 04-10-2016, 10:04 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

that looks like the right cap. Now I can't remember if the base engine has the black paint or is zinc. The holes look right. Wonder how the filter material disappeared?
Did that decal survive all those years?
According to the latest judging manual, the base motor uses a black painted oil filler cap, but the label is supposed to be orange with black letters. I have seen both versions (black on orange, black on gold).

This cap, and the label are 100% original. The car has been packed away for many years.

I do not know what happened to the filter material, but putting in "back in" would not be that hard. The configuration is absolutely correct.

Get notified of new replies

To 1957 steel valve covers - paint script silver?

Quick Reply: 1957 steel valve covers - paint script silver?