C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 08:03 AM
cpovette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 suspension upgrade

Looking for suggestions for a suspension upgrade. The frame is in good shape and I would keep. I looked into Ridetech and believe $9,000 is a bit pricey. I used Martz for my 60 but they don't make a C2 upgrade. I would like front and rear end.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:50 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Contact Vette Brakes & Products. For 30% of you 9k you can have it all or any portion of it. Dennis
Old 04-11-2016, 10:23 AM
jfr's 63swc
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

copvette,

I will be interested in the responses on this as well. I was thinking of similar suspension and brake upgrades for my '63 convertible (as well as motor and trans to replace the current somewhat tired non original motor).

I was also wondering if others thought that the suspension upgrades would be noticeable on an original frame for a street car?

Jon
Old 04-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I was also wondering if others thought that the suspension upgrades would be noticeable on an original frame for a street car?

Jon[/QUOTE]

Noticable, as in, will the parts be visible? Yes they will be and you will most likely feel the difference, especially if you go all out with a "package". Any parts that are manufactured differently will be noticeable to those of us who recognize stock parts. Dennis
Old 04-11-2016, 05:27 PM
jfr's 63swc
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67

Jon
Noticable, as in, will the parts be visible? Yes they will be and you will most likely feel the difference, especially if you go all out with a "package". Any parts that are manufactured differently will be noticeable to those of us who recognize stock parts. Dennis[/QUOTE]

Dennis,

Visibly, I know there is an obvious difference. I meant from a driving standpoint. VB&P has a lot of choices up to a $6300 package which would upgrade the suspension, brakes (to disc for me), rack & pinion steering and offset trailing arms for a little more tire underneath.

So, to stay sorta on point with the original posters question, I guess the question is for those that have done the suspension portion of the upgrade, is it worth making these upgrades to a 50+ year old technology frame? Is there a driving/handling difference for a street driven car?

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited by jfr's 63swc; 04-11-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:42 PM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by cpovette
Looking for suggestions for a suspension upgrade. The frame is in good shape and I would keep. I looked into Ridetech and believe $9,000 is a bit pricey. I used Martz for my 60 but they don't make a C2 upgrade. I would like front and rear end.
Check out Vansteel Inc in Tampa. They have a couple of options for front and rear suspension for your C 2.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:43 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

I'll chime in. I began the planning and research for my latest project last fall. I had two objectives - to add power steering and to improve the ride and handling by eliminating the poly bushings I installed in my suspension less than 15,000 miles ago (they're SHOT - particularly the rear strut rod bushings).

For the power steering system I chose the Steeroids power rack & pinion system. Two of my friends have this system - and they absolutely love it.

My research into replacing my poly bushings turned up an innovative new "del-a-lum" bushings offered by a company called Global West. Hours of research on many auto Forums pointed to the fact that most guys love them and find them far superior to poly bushings. I'm installing a set of these bushings on my lower control arms.

While I also looked at the new Ride Tech system (and also found it pricey), Global West also offers a number of suspension options for C2's - all with del-a-lum bushings - all designed to improve the ride and handling. Their website contains tons of tech tips and installation videos - check 'em out.

To improve the rear suspension of my car I'm installing HD rear strut rods with heim joints to eliminate the bushings all together. While I didn't get mine from Global West, they also offer them.

My project should be completed within the next 10 days - hope to be able to share more info if you like. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

Tom
Old 04-11-2016, 09:48 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,347 Likes on 891 Posts

Can a 50 year old suspension system and design be updated to perform like a somewhat modern vehicle. Yes, up to a point.

The C2 & C3 suspension had a long competitive life. Will it upgrade to a modern selective ride suspension like in a C5 to C7, no. Will it handle and turn like most modern cars, yes, if you are wIlling to compromise comfort or handling (a little).

Handling springs front and rear are a good upgrade, as are modern high pressure gas shocks with modern valving.

There is little wrong with stock rubber bushings for most drivers. Poly bushings are a handling upgrade, but can squeek and crumble in time. Delrin bushings are more like a cross between Teflon and Nylon, stiffer than poly but they do not lose their shape with age. Metal bushings are the next step in stiffness. Each step up in stiffness will compromise noise, vibration and harshness, but improve wheel alignment under load and handling.

Steering is a definite upgrade. Rack and pinion and the stock GM power assist have been around for decades. The newer Borgeson integrated power steering gearbox is a major improvement in handling and reduced complexity.

Taller rims and modern profile tires are the foundation for any handling upgrade.

If these upgrades spark the extreme handling bug, then anti-sway bar upgrades are next.

None of these come without some comfort compromise (except maybe the Borgeson power steering box).

Will it handle like a C4 through C7, no. Will it put a smile on your face, yes.

Last edited by 63 340HP; 04-11-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:49 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ1
Check out Vansteel Inc in Tampa. They have a couple of options for front and rear suspension for your C 2.
Danny Popp used their parts on his dominate LT1.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:21 AM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If your going to spend 9K you might be better off buying a new frame with C4 suspension.

Another route is to have your existing frame converted to accept C4 suspension. Earlier today I heard back from Progressive Automotive stating they would convert my existing '66 frame, no word on price though.

I have also contacted a few local hot rod shops that perform frame & suspension modifications. I was initially going to do it myself and may still go that route unless I can get someone to do it for the right price.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:43 PM
Kkujaw
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you just want better handling for cruising, the the ridetech level 2 ($5850) is all you need, add the front sway bar $600. You will need to change front breaks because of the ridetech spindles, how much you want to spend on that is up to you. I replaced the VBP f/r suspension upgrades that were on it, it's like night and day. The next thing is the bogenson box.
The following users liked this post:
nana1964 (09-06-2020)
Old 04-13-2016, 08:01 PM
cpovette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kkujaw
If you just want better handling for cruising, the the ridetech level 2 ($5850) is all you need, add the front sway bar $600. You will need to change front breaks because of the ridetech spindles, how much you want to spend on that is up to you. I replaced the VBP f/r suspension upgrades that were on it, it's like night and day. The next thing is the bogenson box.
To your point would be to leave rear end stock?
Old 04-13-2016, 08:03 PM
cpovette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom Austin
I'll chime in. I began the planning and research for my latest project last fall. I had two objectives - to add power steering and to improve the ride and handling by eliminating the poly bushings I installed in my suspension less than 15,000 miles ago (they're SHOT - particularly the rear strut rod bushings).

For the power steering system I chose the Steeroids power rack & pinion system. Two of my friends have this system - and they absolutely love it.

My research into replacing my poly bushings turned up an innovative new "del-a-lum" bushings offered by a company called Global West. Hours of research on many auto Forums pointed to the fact that most guys love them and find them far superior to poly bushings. I'm installing a set of these bushings on my lower control arms.

While I also looked at the new Ride Tech system (and also found it pricey), Global West also offers a number of suspension options for C2's - all with del-a-lum bushings - all designed to improve the ride and handling. Their website contains tons of tech tips and installation videos - check 'em out.

To improve the rear suspension of my car I'm installing HD rear strut rods with heim joints to eliminate the bushings all together. While I didn't get mine from Global West, they also offer them.

My project should be completed within the next 10 days - hope to be able to share more info if you like. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

Tom
Thank you. I'll check it out.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:53 AM
Kkujaw
Advanced

To your point would be to leave rear end stock?
No, I actually did mine in stages, I did the rear end first. ($2350), but that alone made a huge difference. Like I said, when you do the front, you will need to change the brakes due to the ride tech spindle.
You can use willwood, baer, or OEM brakes for the A or F body 70-72 chevelle. If you go to wildwood or baer website you can choose the brakes by spindle type (A or F 72 chevelle) or manufacture (ridetech) in the drop down. Again, if its just for street cruising, IMHO you don't need the Wilwood or Baer 6 piston big brake kits. So bottom line, is the suspension kit $5850 + 600 for front sway bar + lets say the wildwood forged dynolite 4 piston BB kit $825. I still need to add the Borgenson Box $745, (you can't run R&P if you go with the ridetech set up) but from everything ive read on this forum, the Borgenson box is the bomb! when all done, this set up will handle better then a c4, and its all bolt on. So all in aprox $8000.
nana1964 (09-06-2020)
Old 04-14-2016, 09:16 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Van Steel has a nice Semi-coil over front set up. This is what I will be installing on a 63 soon. Combine this with a composite rear spring and adjustable Qa1 shocks, and it should make a noticeable difference. However, apparently you should not run a composite rear spring if you have under car exhaust.
http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...tle=FSC-01-400

I wouldn't mess with any of the ride tech items. While they look nice and I am sure they make a big difference, the price is just too high.

Last edited by 65silververt; 04-14-2016 at 09:17 AM.
LewLed (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2016, 09:44 AM
cpovette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kkujaw
No, I actually did mine in stages, I did the rear end first. ($2350), but that alone made a huge difference. Like I said, when you do the front, you will need to change the brakes due to the ride tech spindle.
You can use willwood, baer, or OEM brakes for the A or F body 70-72 chevelle. If you go to wildwood or baer website you can choose the brakes by spindle type (A or F 72 chevelle) or manufacture (ridetech) in the drop down. Again, if its just for street cruising, IMHO you don't need the Wilwood or Baer 6 piston big brake kits. So bottom line, is the suspension kit $5850 + 600 for front sway bar + lets say the wildwood forged dynolite 4 piston BB kit $825. I still need to add the Borgenson Box $745, (you can't run R&P if you go with the ridetech set up) but from everything ive read on this forum, the Borgenson box is the bomb! when all done, this set up will handle better then a c4, and its all bolt on. So all in aprox $8000.
All in Ridetech front and rear $8000? Plus theBorgenson box. Diffentitely need R and P.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:50 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default 9000 wow!

I like the geometry lowered coilover front lowers from Global and the SPC for uppers and I like old Koni 3012 shocks, and have old 5 link units for the rear! Once it is all together again, I will be capable of taking apart a RideTech or Vette Brakes equipped cars or any more modern chassis! But will need a kidney belt!!!!!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-15-2016 at 06:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 suspension upgrade

Old 04-14-2016, 07:28 PM
cpovette
Advanced

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
I like the geometry lowered coilover front lowers from Global and the SPC for uppers and I like old Koni 3012 shocks, and have old 5 link units for the rear! Once it is all together again, I will be capable of taking apart a RideTech equipped car or any more modern chassis! But will need a kidney belt!!!!!
Ha. Nice.
Who makes 5 link?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:01 PM
Kkujaw
Advanced

All in Ridetech front and rear $8000? Plus theBorgenson box. Diffentitely need R and P.
All in front and back is $5850 + $ 600 front sway + 750 Borgeson box + $850 for 4 piston Wilson BB kit = 8050 yes, but no you don't need r&p, it actually won't work with the ridetech. All bolt on done in a day. Just saying
nana1964 (09-06-2020)
Old 04-14-2016, 11:34 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I have the old stuff

Ha. Nice.
Who makes 5 link?
Modified Guldstrand unit and for the other car an old Apex CVC setups! Neither sold anymore! The third Corvette just has modified van Steel offsets with spherical bearings and street konis! I like the Global West Delrin/aluminum bushings the best for all around on two of the cars! They can handle! Since I was freshing up the on one car, I decided to just do the second car also!

I feel a C7 will have nothing over me, handling wise! About same tire sizes, he has better brakes, but I am lighter, I have more power to weight, and I am coilover also!

And prior to saying wow above, I should have ran the calculator on what my stuff would have cost in the modern! The Guldstrand rear was $3100 when last sold, my Konis would run $3000 because I have the adjust on the car tops, the Global west lowers front about $750, the SPC uppers with the Howard ball joints about a $600 bill, various other stuff an old manual steer 12:1ratio box not available anymore probably about $600 when last sold! Spherical linked sway bars and homemade pillow blocks and spread bar for the front probably another $1000 bill! Home welding, probably a $1500 bill if I had sourced it out!

Oh boy! I am glad I ain't buying this stuff in the modern! Collecting things over time, it felt less expensive! Maybe these modern Companies even though not as trick as my race car stuff, their stuff being geared more for street! So maybe these setups are cost effective!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-15-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: C2 suspension upgrade