C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Engine/transmission/differential combo for a smooth cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 10:47 AM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Engine/transmission/differential combo for a smooth cruiser?

Hi all,

I've got my dad's '66 I'm restoring and modding. I can work on and do just about anything on a car as I have been an aircraft mechanic for over 10 years. I'm not really a car guy though, I don't know what works best with what as far as engine, transmission, and differential combos go.

I don't want a fast car with a million HP, I want a good driving car I can enjoy and drive often.

So far my plans are to part out a C4, use its suspension, engine, and seats. Reason being is because I'm on a budget, but I also think the TPI would be a great cruiser.

My idea is to use the TPI with a 6 speed T56 and a dana 44 rear with 4.11 ratio?
Would that combo make me a good cruiser?

What would you guys recommend?

Last edited by Brad-SixTsix; 04-13-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:50 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Problem with TPI there is very limited market for that. Also they got good torque numbers but run out of steem quick. I think stock Dana 44 rears used a 3.42 so not sure how a 4.11 would work. For a budget a stock 327/300 4 speed with a 3.08 or 3.36 can't be beat. I like that motor more then a L98. Plus it's simple to work on and looks better. My 2 cents
The following users liked this post:
Brad-SixTsix (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 01:02 PM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not just buy a Borg Warner T5 WC 5-speed, and keep everything else as it is.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:12 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

I am very happy with the combination in my '67. I have the original 3.36 axle, a Tremec 5 spd with a 3.27 1st gear and .67 5th, and a ZZ4 crate engine with a few mods putting out around 400 hp and 400+ tq.

This gives me both great off the line performance with the 3.36 x 3.27 = 10.98 1st gear multiplication good up to 45 mph+, and great highway cruising with 70 mph in 5th gear being 2000 rpm. I get 22 mpg on a trip.

I don't think you want to set up your cruise rpm for much less than that 2k figure on a carburetored engine, so as to maintain responsiveness and the ability to pull smoothly in top gear.

Modern engines and systems are a different story - my '06 C6 will pull from 1000 rpm and get 31 mpg at 70 mph.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:32 PM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Originally Posted by VeroWing
Why not just buy a Borg Warner T5 WC 5-speed, and keep everything else as it is.
Maybe the T5 would be better, I think a six speed would be awesome but I'm not really sure if it's necessary. I have heard the L98 has good low end torque which is why I was thinking of the T56.

As for the engine, I sold it a few months back. The only thing original on it was the heads and valve cover, I sold the engine and turbo 350 for $400.

I just figure parting out a C4 will give me suspension, p.s., engine, and seats....Maybe I'll sell the engine for something else.

Would the T5 be a direct bolt in our would it require modifications?

From what I have read the T56 would require me to cut and raise the fwd tunnel area about an inch.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Also for a budget and TPI your going to have to figure out wiring to make the ECM work and redo cluster to talk to the ECM. I can't see that being cheap and keeping on a budget. And your still have a 35 year old out of date TPI that has almost zero help in the aftermarket world. Plus I don't think it will clear a SB hood so unless you already have a BB hood you can add that to the budget.

And unless you have auto-x in your future I can't see C4 suspension helping. Up to snuff stock mid year suspension will ride just as good as a C4 if not better. A C4 suspension is only great if your going to push it to its limits
Old 04-13-2016, 06:42 PM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Also for a budget and TPI your going to have to figure out wiring to make the ECM work and redo cluster to talk to the ECM. I can't see that being cheap and keeping on a budget. And your still have a 35 year old out of date TPI that has almost zero help in the aftermarket world. Plus I don't think it will clear a SB hood so unless you already have a BB hood you can add that to the budget.

And unless you have auto-x in your future I can't see C4 suspension helping. Up to snuff stock mid year suspension will ride just as good as a C4 if not better. A C4 suspension is only great if your going to push it to its limits

Thanks for all the info. I am a newbie here and to C2 restoration so I know I have a lot to learn.

As to the C4, My thinking is that I can get one for around 2k, part it out and have an engine, suspension, p.s., seats for nearly nothing. I could sell the engine and buy something else, I have seen a few members on the forum with TPI's in their SB C2's though, they did have to trim out part of the X brace on the hood but they fit.

A p.s. conversion kit for a stock C2 is about 2k alone. Add an engine and costs to rebuild it and the stock suspension and I'm probably over 5k. For that cost I can have the C4 suspension installed and rebuilt. At least that's what I'm thinking.....
Old 04-13-2016, 07:10 PM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brad-SixTsix
Maybe the T5 would be better, I think a six speed would be awesome but I'm not really sure if it's necessary. I have heard the L98 has good low end torque which is why I was thinking of the T56.

As for the engine, I sold it a few months back. The only thing original on it was the heads and valve cover, I sold the engine and turbo 350 for $400.

I just figure parting out a C4 will give me suspension, p.s., engine, and seats....Maybe I'll sell the engine for something else.

Would the T5 be a direct bolt in our would it require modifications?

From what I have read the T56 would require me to cut and raise the fwd tunnel area about an inch.
Prior to the '64 I have now, I had an 2002 6spd Corvette, and found like most others, that 6 speeds are unnecessary. If fact they have a "skip shift eliminator" so you do not constantly have to shift so much. Reason I mention the Borg Warner T5 is 1, you are on a budget, and there is no less expensive way to add a 5 spd into a C2, and 2, once you gather the correct combination of parts, the T5 installation is a smooth process. There are plenty of members here that have done this. Search T5 here and find plenty of threads on it. There is a minor amount of opening around the existing shifter cutout, other than this, there are no more body modifications. I've just collected necessary parts to do this myself.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:32 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Hi all,

I've got my dad's '66 I'm restoring and modding. I can work on and do just about anything on a car as I have been an aircraft mechanic for over 10 years. I'm not really a car guy though, I don't know what works best with what as far as engine, transmission, and differential combos go.

I don't want a fast car with a million HP, I want a good driving car I can enjoy and drive often.

So far my plans are to part out a C4, use its suspension, engine, and seats. Reason being is because I'm on a budget, but I also think the TPI would be a great cruiser.

My idea is to use the TPI with a 6 speed T56 and a dana 44 rear with 4.11 ratio?

What kind of cruising do you plan on doing?
Our car has a big block, Tremec 5 speed and 370 rear end. 70 mph is just over 2krpm. We cruise for hours....

Gerry
Old 04-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks for all the info. I am a newbie here and to C2 restoration so I know I have a lot to learn.

As to the C4, My thinking is that I can get one for around 2k, part it out and have an engine, suspension, p.s., seats for nearly nothing. I could sell the engine and buy something else, I have seen a few members on the forum with TPI's in their SB C2's though, they did have to trim out part of the X brace on the hood but they fit.

A p.s. conversion kit for a stock C2 is about 2k alone. Add an engine and costs to rebuild it and the stock suspension and I'm probably over 5k. For that cost I can have the C4 suspension installed and rebuilt. At least that's what I'm thinking.....
for 2K your going to get one TIRED WORE out C4. seat covers and foam for a C4 is 1K so you just lost that one out. the rest of the parts you need are going to be just wore out on a 2K C4. I drive a 94 every day and mines got 160+K and its decent. you get a older one yet its going to be much worse shape. I can not see how you can come out ahead. I can run the numbers in my head and see its a lost cause. unless you get a low mile wreak that still as all the good parts you need. a stock L-98 motor would be a decent core to rebuild. but i can think of better starting points

I am not sure where you got 2K for a PS for a mid year. GM made thousands of them until 82. I know the later stuff will be metric and might look different then mid year ones but I can not see how they can not work.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:56 PM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
for 2K your going to get one TIRED WORE out C4. seat covers and foam for a C4 is 1K so you just lost that one out. the rest of the parts you need are going to be just wore out on a 2K C4. I drive a 94 every day and mines got 160+K and its decent. you get a older one yet its going to be much worse shape. I can not see how you can come out ahead. I can run the numbers in my head and see its a lost cause. unless you get a low mile wreak that still as all the good parts you need. a stock L-98 motor would be a decent core to rebuild. but i can think of better starting points

I am not sure where you got 2K for a PS for a mid year. GM made thousands of them until 82. I know the later stuff will be metric and might look different then mid year ones but I can not see how they can not work.
Cool thanks again, looks like I've got more reading to do.
And thanks for the T5 Verowing, makes more sense to me know, I think you've got me convinced.

This is why I haven't done anything major to the car or frame yet, obviously I need to learn more.....So, to all of you, if you were in my situation what would you do.

I want to get this car back on the road as soon as possible, but at the same time I want a car that I will enjoy driving. I drove the car years ago, the handling was so bad it scared the hell out of me. Drove it about a mile, turned around and I didn't even want to drive it after that.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:01 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

And thanks for the T5 Verowing, makes more sense to me know, I think you've got me convinced.

This is why I haven't done anything major to the car or frame yet, obviously I need to learn more.....So, to all of you, if you were in my situation what would you do.

I want to get this car back on the road as soon as possible, but at the same time I want a car that I will enjoy driving. I drove the car years ago, the handling was so bad it scared the hell out of me. Drove it about a mile, turned around and I didn't even want to drive it after that.
C2s do NOT drive/handle that poorly if they are properly set up. Something else was wrong then. What kind of tires were on it and how old were they? Old hard bias ply tires can do that. How was the alignment set? Many issues could have caused what you felt - it is not inherent to the car itself.

OTOH, if you were expecting it to feel like a modern Toyota Camry.....
Old 04-13-2016, 09:06 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I would rebuild the stock suspension with all new ruber bushings new OEM shocks, and a good set of radial tires. Get a engine and trans that will work with your budget staying with a carb will help. You can still get good MPG and driveablity with a four speed and better with a OD.
Brad-SixTsix (04-14-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 09:24 PM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

I'm sure when I drove it everything was worn out, but if I ever drives like that again I would be very disappointed. I wish I could drive one with a stock suspension setup to see how it feels....I'm just afraid I'll get the car done and regret not doing certain things to it. I don't want to pull the body twice.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:37 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Mossy66
What kind of cruising do you plan on doing?
Our car has a big block, Tremec 5 speed and 370 rear end. 70 mph is just over 2krpm. We cruise for hours....

Gerry
Same combo in my '61 - damn near the perfect cruising combo IMO
Brad-SixTsix (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 10:47 AM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

I'm sure when I drove it everything was worn out, but if I ever drives like that again I would be very disappointed. I wish I could drive one with a stock suspension setup to see how it feels....I'm just afraid I'll get the car done and regret not doing certain things to it. I don't want to pull the body twice.
If I personally wanted to set car up as a nice reliable, budget minded cruiser, I would get a period correct engine, T5 transmission, and refurbish remainder of car to near factory specs. I would also consider painting the original color if you happen to like it. Once complete, now you'll have a nice cruiser that will most likely retain more value than one that has been "budget" altered, and car is only a 4spd trans swap to being as delivered. After that, you can make personal enhancements down the road when you see fit. Just my opinion.
Brad-SixTsix (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 07:22 PM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Well, after reading the advice you all gave me I decided to keep the suspension mostly stock, with any changes being only bolt on (monospring and rack and pinion steering).
Thanks for the info and advice, it saved me money, time, and probably a lot of frustration.

And as far as the engine goes I'll figure that one out when I get there, but will likely use the T5 with it...

Last edited by Brad-SixTsix; 04-18-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine/transmission/differential combo for a smooth cruiser?

Old 04-18-2016, 08:02 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Well, after reading the advice you all gave me I decided to keep the suspension mostly stock, with any changes being only bolt on (monospring and rack and pinion steering).
Thanks for the info and advice, it saved me money, time, and probably a lot of frustration.

And as far as the engine goes I'll figure that one out when I get there, but will likely use the T5 with it...
I installed a GM World Class T5 in my '66 L79 roadster (4.11 rear) @ 4 years ago and love it . . . a pretty easy swap actually. There are a few more Forum guys in the planning process as we speak . . . it makes for a great cruiser with the .63 5th gear! Good luck with your project!

Tom
Old 04-19-2016, 08:57 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

C4...TPI???...a 6 speed T56 requires tunnel mods

After much trial and error and more money than I want to remember spending, here is what I have found to work well in a NOM C2 that you want to drive:

I know you said you are on a budget...what I propose below probably would cost about $12K, but use it as a reference and it can be done a little at a time.

Engine/trans/rear combos with stock-sized tires:

1. Get a stroked Small Block (383/406) w/ aluminum heads...something with 450-475hp/tq...anything with more power tends to be a bit fussy in the lower/cruising rpm range. You can go big block which is also a ton of fun...just costs a bit more but totally cool.

2. Back it with a TKO600 (.82 overdrive) and a 4.11 rear that has the big block side yolks. The stroked motors give you gobs of low-end torque, which is what turns the wheels and the TKO600 5 speed with the 4.11s will make it rip AND it will cruise down the highway.

3. Dewitts radiator...if your current radiator is suspect/old.

Here are my suspension setup notes...it's what I did on two different cars.

1. Replace all front and rear associated suspension bushings...upper & lower control arms and trailing arm assemblies rebuilt by Bairs. Also replace, "top hat" rear crossmember bushings & rear gear housing snubber bushing.

2. Vette Brakes GRAND TOURING PLUS SUSPENSION KIT, 1963-77

Part#: 42001M
1963-77 Corvette. Includes: 330lb VBP Composite Monospring Kit, 460lb GT Front Coil Springs, HD 1.125" Front Anti-Sway Bar Kit, HD 750" Rear Anti-Sway Bar Kit, 4 Bilstein Sport Gas Shocks, & VBP Poly-Adjustable Rear Struts Rods.

***Ask Vette Brakes to provide #52000HD - VBP Smart Struts® Kit that comes with the Street and Slalom Kit. Its a better setup for the rear struts.

***Don't use the Bilsteins...sell them or tell vette brakes to keep them and pro rate the price.

3. Zip Corvette 63-82 QA1 Single Adjustable Shock Package. Set all shocks to +8 clicks.

4. Convert the steering to a Borgeson power steering kit.

I did all the disassembly and reassembly...that's it...easy peasy...just takes money and time...

You'll have a C2 that you will absolutely love to drive...it will be as fast as you want it to be, yet it will cruise effortlessly down the road.

Frank

Last edited by Crunch527; 04-19-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Dbl6gun (06-01-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 09:44 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Hi all,

I'm not really a car guy though, I don't know what works best with what as far as engine, transmission, and differential combos go.

Reason being is because I'm on a budget,

I would recommend you leave the '66 stock and buy a decent C-4 and CRUISE it the way the factory built it. You'll get more bang for your buck since you're on a budget.

Quick Reply: Engine/transmission/differential combo for a smooth cruiser?