C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Telltale and High Beam indicators

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 05:54 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Default Telltale and High Beam indicators

Well, after numerous searches I haven't been able to locate a thread with this specific issue so I thought maybe you all could help...

My Telltale light and High Beam light indicators were on continuously if my headlights were on. All the lights, switches and instruments on the cars work correctly otherwise. The Telltale switches were disconnected which was part of the issue but I got them working which brings us to the current situation...the Telltale switches now work, but make the high beam light extinguish and the Telltale light keeps flashing no matter what I do. Switching the headlights hi/low works the lights, but nothing on the dash...what do you think?? I thought the sockets may be swapped on the dash back, but since the Telltale flashes correctly, that might not be the case...
Hope this makes sense...
I'm sure a couple of wires are incorrectly hooked up, but I really suck with electrical... :crazy
It's been like this since I got the car a few years ago but I've just lived with it until now. Thanks for any help!!
Old 04-16-2016, 06:36 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

A good starting point would be the year of the car.....
Old 04-16-2016, 07:08 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Wild guess based on speculation. Maybe a flashing bulb (like the one in the tell tale and brake positions) was put in where the bright indicator goes and then the two plugs switched so that you now have your tell tale light in the bright spot without a flashing bulb and ...... well you get the idea.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 04-16-2016 at 07:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SonnyAK (04-19-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 07:12 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

The wire color going to the high beam indicator should be light green and not a flasher. The two wires to the tell tale should be gray/black and light blue with a flasher bulb.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:36 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Wild guess based on speculation. Maybe a flashing bulb (like the one in the tell tale and brake positions) was put in where the bright indicator goes and then the two plugs switched so that you now have your tell tale light in the bright spot without a flashing bulb and ...... well you get the idea.
Looking behind the dash (from below). Looks like the 2 wire holder for the Telltale is in the High Beam spot and vice versa, so that's an issue, but the odd thing is that the High Beam doesn't actually flash, like you think it would if switched...
It does go off when the headlights are rotated and the Telltale switches engaged...but the Telltale doesn't go off if the headlights are on low beam, like you think it would if the wires were just switched...
Old 04-16-2016, 11:36 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
A good starting point would be the year of the car.....
'66...Sorry
Old 04-17-2016, 03:31 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SonnyAK
Looking behind the dash (from below). Looks like the 2 wire holder for the Telltale is in the High Beam spot and vice versa, so that's an issue, but the odd thing is that the High Beam doesn't actually flash, like you think it would if switched...
It does go off when the headlights are rotated and the Telltale switches engaged...but the Telltale doesn't go off if the headlights are on low beam, like you think it would if the wires were just switched...
They're supposed to be two different kinds of bulbs, I'm not sure what would happen. Also verify the brake warning light is in the correct spot with correct bulb. You may have the bulbs in the correct spot, but in the wrong sockets. Again not following a diagram, just speculation.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
They're supposed to be two different kinds of bulbs, I'm not sure what would happen. Also verify the brake warning light is in the correct spot with correct bulb. You may have the bulbs in the correct spot, but in the wrong sockets. Again not following a diagram, just speculation.
I DO KNOW that IF you do not have the correct 'flashing' bulbs and use regular bulbs...the lights will work fine.

I have NEVER put a 'flashing bulb' in the HIGH beam indicator socket and see what it does. I guess all it would do it flash.

Verifying your parking brake warning light is something I would do...as previously mentioned.

IF the problem still persists....then a problem in the wiring or a component is failing causing a problem..and that can be determined once we get past a few unknowns.

It also would be wise to have a wiring diagram....if you do not have one already.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
SonnyAK (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 12:27 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
I DO KNOW that IF you do not have the correct 'flashing' bulbs and use regular bulbs...the lights will work fine.

I have NEVER put a 'flashing bulb' in the HIGH beam indicator socket and see what it does. I guess all it would do it flash.

Verifying your parking brake warning light is something I would do...as previously mentioned.

IF the problem still persists....then a problem in the wiring or a component is failing causing a problem..and that can be determined once we get past a few unknowns.

It also would be wise to have a wiring diagram....if you do not have one already.

DUB
Thanks. I do have a wiring diagram, but my eyes usually glaze over a bit when looking at it!
There's no wire running to the brake light socket, and the switch isn't hooked up either right now. I'm also back in Alaska now (car is in KY) and won't get back down there for a few months
At some point I'll dig into it and figure out what the issue is - probably a combination of bulbs and wires in the wrong spots. Fortunately this is the biggest issue I have going with the car right now, so I'm pretty lucky!

Thanks for the help and ideas!

Get notified of new replies

To Telltale and High Beam indicators

Quick Reply: Telltale and High Beam indicators