C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1962 Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 09:53 PM
Survivor62
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1962 Help

Hello - I'm a new member and am looking for some help. I've searched all over this site and the web and need some help from the experts. I have a 1962, 340hp, convertible with 56,000 miles that is very close to 100% original. Numbers matching with original paint and seats, carpet has been replaced, the soft top replaced, radial tires instead of bias along with the mufflers. The spare tire is still the original bias and holds air just fine. This car has been owned by extended family since new. The car has a few issues that I am trying to work out and running into dead ends. Production number is 06459, which should have been built approx. Feb 5, 1962.

1. It doesn't have seatbelts and I would like to add them, it has the rings the belt attaches to but that is all. I found some belts online and through Ecklers, but found conflicting info on which are the correct ones for this car.

2. The antenna wire seems to be broken internally right at the connector where it screws into the antenna. I can move it around and it will work fine and pickup stations without issue, but I have to do this each time. Can I cut and replace the connector or should I replace the whole antenna wire?

3. I pulled the taillights apart and cleaned everything and the lights all worked fine, but sometimes after I drive I lose both brake lights on the driver side only. Running lights work fine, only issues with the brake/turn. This has been happening since the car was delivered as can be seen in the picture coming out of the hauler.

4. The weatherstrip where the soft top meets the rear deck lid needs to be replaced is buying from one place better than another?

5. I haven't gotten the windshield washers to work, everything seems hooked up correctly except for the line off the reservoir that says vacuum. I assume this connects to the carburetor on the passenger side rear, but did not want to mess anything up until I checked.

6. The clock lights up, but hands don't move. So I need to figure this out.

7. I also need to replace the 340 hp stickers on the engine and the trunkliner that covers the motor for the power top.

Lastly, I'd like to pull the stock wheels off and install Cragar Mags and a set of white letter tires.

Thanks for all of your help and advice. Attached are a few pictures.
Attached Images     
Old 04-17-2016, 09:23 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Nice car. 1962s are great drivers, if you go the Cragars-and white-letter-tires look, make sure you safely store the original wheels & caps. My best advice to you is:

1.) Join the NCRS. You will find no better or more helpful authority on what's correct for your car.
2.) Join your local Corvette Club. Great people who have a lot of fun together.
3.) Get the NCRS 1961-62 Judging Manual - it will show you what are the correct parts for your car.
4.) As for where to buy the parts, once you have the manual mentioned above you can better judge which vendor's parts are "correct".

Hope this gets you started. Enjoy your Corvette!

Last edited by fyreline; 04-17-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:58 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

You have a nice car.

1. The correct seat belts are expensive - $500+. And there are 3 subtly different versions for your car. See the NCRS Judging Guide (JG). Generic ones are under $100, and look very much like the correct ones. Your choice. But, if you'r going to spend a lot of money on them, get the NCRS JG, and make sure you get the right ones.

2. I believe it possible to repair antenna wires. But I don't know how to do this. If you replace it, don't get a generic one. Your Corvette radio takes a special one to get good reception. Most Corvette parts vendors sell the incorrect one. But I know Paragon sells the right one. Maybe others too. It's a little tricky to replace the antenna cable.

3. Yeah, they all do that. No, really. Can't be fixed. Just make sure the directional is centered after you use it.

4. Don't know.

5. These things hardly ever work. Jay Maxwell in Gaithersburg, Maryland seems to be the only guy who can make them work. Search the archives here and at the NCRS Technical Discussion Board for lots more information on this subject.

6. The clock can be rebuilt. Not expensive. There's lots of people who repair them.

7. There's lots of Corvette parts vendors. Search Zip, Paragon, Corvette Central, etc.

It's your car, put on the wheels and tires you like. But if you replace the wheels and tires, make sure you save the old ones.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:58 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Whatever you do be sure to use radial tires.
If you are not going the judging route pick up a $60.00 set of red lever lift belts or spend $600.00 +++ for correct ones.
Replace the antenna wire, the tail lights sound like a typical ground problem. The cause of many electrical problems on Corvettes.
Washer vacuum comes from the hollow carb stud on the drivers side rear.
Be careful with the clock, they can short out and cause lots of damage.
Last but not least do what you want to the car and DRIVE IT.
Bruce BName:  62 With Cragar wheels 007.JPG
Views: 1136
Size:  282.4 KB
Old 04-17-2016, 10:09 AM
Survivor62
6th Gear

Thanks for all of the reply's and guidance. I really appreciate all of your advice. I will check into these things and see if I can get the issues all worked out. Surely, Ill have more questions!

Thank you

Last edited by Survivor62; 04-17-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:54 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 572 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

You are going to love this car and all that it takes to maintain one. Try to replace parts with original parts or refurbish parts yourself. That is half the fun of owning a 62!
Old 04-17-2016, 11:38 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,900 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiovet
Whatever you do be sure to use radial tires.
If you are not going the judging route pick up a $60.00 set of red lever lift belts or spend $600.00 +++ for correct ones.
Replace the antenna wire, the tail lights sound like a typical ground problem. The cause of many electrical problems on Corvettes.
Washer vacuum comes from the hollow carb stud on the drivers side rear.
Be careful with the clock, they can short out and cause lots of damage.
Last but not least do what you want to the car and DRIVE IT.
Bruce BAttachment 47973164
Bruce,
What a great looking car! Perfect stance, and I love the stacks sticking out of the hood.

Are they the old school stuff, or have they been machined with current FI equipment?

Pat
Old 04-17-2016, 11:41 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,900 Likes on 883 Posts

Survivor62,

Great car, can't wait until you get the Cragers on it!

Pat
Old 04-18-2016, 07:15 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Back the car up to a reflective surface, turn the key on apply the brakes and jiggle the turn signal handle...if the DS brake lights are intermittent you have a problem with the turn signal canceling mechanism centering - its entirely curable....many posts on this and once diagnosed you can come back here for info on a fix.

You can get seat belts with the aircraft style lift latch for as little as $16 at seatbeltsplus.com that can be used with Bubba bolt-style anchors. If you already have the original 'hambone' style anchors (or want to buy them) then the seat belts will be $60 (you can buy the hambone anchors for $40) -- all at the same web site.

The antenna could possibly be repaired, I would have to see the damage. The cable uses shielded coax and so that takes special consideration.

The wipers/washers on these cars are a hoot; the washers are hard to fix but here are some diagrams for the hose routing. If they aren't working then they usually need professional attention and there is only one good source for that so come back here once you confirm the hose routing. Do NOT buy the rebuild kits for the washer pump from the vendors; they are a joke.

At some point you will want to add extra fuses to the car; the C1s are lightly fused and electrical problems should be way up on your list of things to watch out for. Search the forum for a thread called "C1 fuse points".

You can easily get the car roadworthy and maintain it with factory documentation, some common sense and forum help; the NCRS will help you out with their version of 'correctness' if that's where you are heading, membership is not a requirement to get, and keep, your car on the road.

Nice car BTW..
Attached Images    

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-18-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:49 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 275 Posts

Looks like the drivers door needs to be adjusted up to where the ridges or in line. But the paint is original so I guess that's the way the factory installed them.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:52 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Just to add to what Frankie said above.. The "tail light outage" is caused when the turn signal switch does not center... OR when the switch is worn (like mine was). The cancelling mechanism needs to center the switch after a turn... but the switch can also be faulty/dirty.

Last edited by SDVette; 04-18-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:56 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Drive it. Enjoy it. Don't get carried away with the Corvette Police
Old 04-18-2016, 09:23 PM
Survivor62
6th Gear

Thanks for all of your input, this is the information I was looking for. I will check out the turn signal and see if thats where my brake light problem is, that makes sense. Thanks for the diagram of the windshield washers also.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:59 PM
Survivor62
6th Gear

I looked at the tail lights quick after work today and its definitely an issue with the turn signal canceling mechanism. I'll search it on the site and get it fixed.

I'll bump the drivers door up a hair to make it straight too.

Thanks again!
Old 04-20-2016, 09:06 PM
SteveA922
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice survivor!
Old 04-20-2016, 09:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Survivor62
I looked at the tail lights quick after work today and its definitely an issue with the turn signal canceling mechanism. I'll search it on the site and get it fixed.

I'll bump the drivers door up a hair to make it straight too.

Thanks again!
Some light reading on the topic.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Turn_Signal_Switch_Repair.pdf (375.8 KB, 92 views)
Old 04-20-2016, 10:25 PM
Survivor62
6th Gear

Thanks guys.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:23 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Black walls are another option...this has 215- 65R- 15`s on 6 in. rims....

nice car by the way........

Get notified of new replies

To 1962 Help

Quick Reply: 1962 Help