C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Speedometer Cable Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 07:21 PM
SherpaPilot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C2 Speedometer Cable Question

I have a 65 Coupe, 4 speed, 350. Recently I needed to replace the speedometer drive gear in the transmission. At the same time, I replaced the cable with a new one from Paragon. Everything worked just fine for the first few minutes, then failed. I discovered the cable that was driving the speedometer would slip (retract) out of the female drive. Everything is routed properly without any sharp bends. Is there a rubber grommet or some type of cable retainer that prevents the cable from slipping out of the speedometer? All connections are properly tight. It is only the inside cable that is not remaining in place. I have contacted Paragon about this and awaiting their reply.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:57 PM
quahog
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Default speedo cable

Originally Posted by SherpaPilot

I have a 65 Coupe, 4 speed, 350. Recently I needed to replace the speedometer drive gear in the transmission. At the same time, I replaced the cable with a new one from Paragon. Everything worked just fine for the first few minutes, then failed. I discovered the cable that was driving the speedometer would slip (retract) out of the female drive. Everything is routed properly without any sharp bends. Is there a rubber grommet or some type of cable retainer that prevents the cable from slipping out of the speedometer? All connections are properly tight. It is only the inside cable that is not remaining in place. I have contacted Paragon about this and awaiting their reply.
I don't know if this will help but I recently lubed the cable from a 67 I am working on and the inner cable only comes out from one end, there is a stop on one end, I believe the stop is on the speedo side , if you pulled the cable out and put it back from the other direction maybe it would walk out of the speedo? I'm not sure of any of this as most of the parts I'm working with have been removed by someone else and I don't know which end should have the stop. Just some info to ponder . Hope this helps Jeff
Old 04-17-2016, 08:36 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by quahog
I don't know if this will help but I recently lubed the cable from a 67 I am working on and the inner cable only comes out from one end, there is a stop on one end, I believe the stop is on the speedo side , if you pulled the cable out and put it back from the other direction maybe it would walk out of the speedo? I'm not sure of any of this as most of the parts I'm working with have been removed by someone else and I don't know which end should have the stop. Just some info to ponder . Hope this helps Jeff
Yes, I have seen this done as well causing the same issue.

Last edited by babbah; 04-17-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:00 AM
SherpaPilot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you guys are on target. I lubed the cable prior to install and probably inserted it backwards. I'll go back under the car today and reverse the inner cable. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:50 AM
Dave Cunningham
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SherpaPilot
I think you guys are on target. I lubed the cable prior to install and probably inserted it backwards. I'll go back under the car today and reverse the inner cable. Thanks for your help guys.
Ok for once I think I can actually offer some advice, instead of taking it. I went through the the same problem, and I think that the cables from Paragon are a bit too short. The way I resolved it was to insert a 1/4" piece of 14 gauge wire into the speedo drive assembly before installing the cable into the trans. It has worked fine ever since. I think the cable was slowly falling out of the back of the speedo.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:18 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dave Cunningham
Ok for once I think I can actually offer some advice, instead of taking it. I went through the the same problem, and I think that the cables from Paragon are a bit too short. The way I resolved it was to insert a 1/4" piece of 14 gauge wire into the speedo drive assembly before installing the cable into the trans. It has worked fine ever since. I think the cable was slowly falling out of the back of the speedo.
Dave - How did you do in the NCRS show? Did you get the idle/fuel problem resolved?

Last edited by babbah; 04-19-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:31 PM
Dave Cunningham
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by babbah
Dave - How did you do in the NCRS show? Did you get the idle/fuel problem resolved?
Babbah, did you not get my response to your private message?
Old 04-19-2016, 06:43 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

No I didn't can you resend?
Please let me know when you end it.
You can reply to the PM I Just sent you today.

Last edited by babbah; 04-19-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Speedometer Cable Question

Quick Reply: C2 Speedometer Cable Question