C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 Radio Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 12:55 AM
dados66
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 1966 Radio Restoration

I would appreciate any recommendations for radio restoration. Before you recommend Jerry at Electrodesign, his web site says he is no longer accepting radios for restoration as of April 16.

Does anyone have experience with other restoration services?

I found Wonderbarman in the FAQ section who looks like he does very nice work.

I am also curious if anyone has used Eckler's upgrade service which upgrades it to modern circuitry.

My radio works but not well. It had a mediocre "restoration" done 15 years ago which didn't seem to improve it much. I would like to have an aux input fitted.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:24 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you want to gut and upgrade your original radio then you can seek out Gary Tayman here in Florida. Can't post his contact info by forum rules so search for "Gary Tayman radio". He put a modern Aurora circuit board in my original '63 radio; it pulls in weak signals like crazy with crisp, deep sound, everything appears/works as original but it still has bluetooth and voice commands, "Hey Siri.....find the nearest gas station"

Passed regional NCRS judging with no deducts. You can get an AUX input, but frankly with bluetooth that input method is nearly obsolete.

I'm sure Eckler's upgrade service just farms the work out to somebody like Gary or Wonderbarman, etc..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-20-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:45 AM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If you want to gut and upgrade your original radio then you can seek out Gary Tayman here in Florida. Can't post his contact info by forum rules so search for "Gary Tayman radio". He put a modern Aurora circuit board in my original '63 radio; it pulls in weak signals like crazy with crisp, deep sound, everything appears/works as original but it still has bluetooth and voice commands, "Hey Siri.....find the nearest gas station"

Passed regional NCRS judging with no deducts. You can get an AUX input, but frankly with bluetooth that input method is nearly obsolete.

I'm sure Eckler's upgrade service just farms the work out to somebody like Gary or Wonderbarman, etc..
Now, that is a very cool upgrade for an old car.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:19 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Revette
Now, that is a very cool upgrade for an old car.
Just to be completely accurate - if you do a solid-state, stereo upgrade your original, transformer-impedance-matched, mono, radio speaker won't work anymore.

You can install one of the Eckler's 140W 6"x9" dual voice coil speakers for about $50 and they work superbly with the converted radio
The following users liked this post:
dados66 (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 12:58 PM
dados66
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNP-zojjVIA
Thanks! Nice upgrade. I called him this morning to discuss.

Does the bluetooth phone actually work with all the noise? Mine will also have sidepipes.

Gary mentioned that the speaker clearance with A/C cars (like mine) means some speakers don't work. Do you know anything about this issue?
Old 04-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The midyear A/C original speakers aren't as deep as non-A/C cars (assuming factory A/C), because of the waterfall center A/C duct. Aftermarket A/C is no problem. That's what I have. Bluetooth will work fine in your car.

However, my voice activated conversion radio works but microphone placement is critical - sidepipes could definitely affect that though...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-20-2016 at 01:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 Radio Restoration

Quick Reply: 1966 Radio Restoration