C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New dash harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 03:23 PM
Commissioner
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default New dash harness

95% through installing a new dash harness. Looking to plug in the factory air control illumination lamps. Seems as though the harness is lacking. I can only see one socket designed for the bullets w the green hood.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:27 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Commissioner
95% through installing a new dash harness. Looking to plug in the factory air control illumination lamps. Seems as though the harness is lacking. I can only see one socket designed for the bullets w the green hood.
OK - we have a choice to guess the year car between 1953 to 1967.
Wanna help us out ?
Old 04-20-2016, 04:06 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 735 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Wanna help us out ?
Looks like he has a 66 roadster.
The attached PDF should apply.
DZ
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
AC and Heater Control Lamps.pdf (598.9 KB, 112 views)
Old 04-20-2016, 04:10 PM
Commissioner
Intermediate

Wanna help us out ?
Right it is a 66 roadster. Sorry.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:49 PM
Commissioner
Intermediate

Default New dash harness

Wanna help us out ?
It is a 66 roadster. Sorry about the omission.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:54 PM
Commissioner
Intermediate

Default New dash harness

Originally Posted by DZVette
Looks like he has a 66 roadster.
The attached PDF should apply.
DZ

Thanks for the images. When you say Z-bar I'm not sure what im looking for. There is a pigtailed black wire w an eyelet on it that I have yet to begin finding something to ground it to.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:04 AM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 735 Likes on 455 Posts

Thanks for the images. When you say Z-bar I'm not sure what im looking for. There is a pigtailed black wire w an eyelet on it that I have yet to begin finding something to ground it to.
The photos below show the radio ground wire and the "z bar" (photo courtesy of JohnZ). The radio ground is the black wire with the ring terminal that comes out of the radio connector shown in the photo of the "radio-clock group" of wires from the dash harness. It mounts to the back of the z bar. Look for a screw hole in that area.

Hope this helps.
Dave Z

Old 04-21-2016, 01:39 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

If you are speaking of the green bullet lights that project upwards onto your AC controls those lamps are not a part of the dash harness. They are a separate gray wire harness with a female spade connector. That female spade goes to the bottom of your fuse block and attaches at the "ACC" tap on the lower right side of the block.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Commissioner
Intermediate

Default New dash harness

Originally Posted by Dennis Beck
If you are speaking of the green bullet lights that project upwards onto your AC controls those lamps are not a part of the dash harness. They are a separate gray wire harness with a female spade connector. That female spade goes to the bottom of your fuse block and attaches at the "ACC" tap on the lower right side of the block.
That's what it is.
I thought I ordered a dash harness for a car w factory air. So I'm a little surprised. I guess I can order that harness separately?
Old 04-21-2016, 04:15 PM
XLR8OR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't mind modifying the harness I have a suggestion that makes it 10 times easier to install and makes servicing the instrument panel 50 times easier.

Make the wiring going to the instrument panel into a single sub-harness that connects to the main harness with a plug jack. Whenever you need to service the instrument panel (and you will) you can pull it away and disconnect it from the main harness. Trying to lay on your back and keep all of the dash light bulbs from popping out because the harness barely has enough length to reach is frustrating as hell.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:29 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by XLR8OR
If you don't mind modifying the harness I have a suggestion that makes it 10 times easier to install and makes servicing the instrument panel 50 times easier.

Make the wiring going to the instrument panel into a single sub-harness that connects to the main harness with a plug jack. Whenever you need to service the instrument panel (and you will) you can pull it away and disconnect it from the main harness. Trying to lay on your back and keep all of the dash light bulbs from popping out because the harness barely has enough length to reach is frustrating as hell.
I have monkey arms and long fingers and can deal with most of the tight spaces. Never seen anybody do what you suggest with a single connector - its a great idea but I wonder if anybody has some examples
Old 04-21-2016, 06:20 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

What type of connector with how many Pins?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:02 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

That's what it is.
I thought I ordered a dash harness for a car w factory air. So I'm a little surprised. I guess I can order that harness separately?
A/C cars didn't have a unique dash harness - they used an add-on harness for the A/C electrical and vacuum functions in the engine and passenger compartments, and used another smaller add-on harness that fed the two extra "torpedo" lamps for the A/C controls from the fuse box.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:40 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

That's what it is.
As John Z. stated the dash harness for AC cars is not unique to AC cars. An add on or supplemental harness was included to light the AC controls. It's just a two wire harness with the torpedo sockets on one end and a female spade connector on the other end and long enough from light to ACC tap on your fuse block.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Commissioner
Intermediate

I want to thank everybody for the responses. I learned something I didn't know. I'm sure there's a lot left to learn too.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:33 PM
Commissioner
Intermediate

Default Primary reason for new harness

Last fall I had visited about my troubles with a 66 roadster that I just wouldn't charge. I replaced the alternator, tried several voltage regulators and finally decided to replace the dash harness as it was suggested the dash to firewall connectors might be the issue. So. After many band aids, do-overs and requests for advice. I fired it up tonite. Starts, runs great, all lights, heater, AC, radio work great but the gremlin is still there. Ammete/voltmeter deflects to the left as soon as I turn those features on. Same problem as last fall.
Now what? Anybody?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:37 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Last fall I had visited about my troubles with a 66 roadster that I just wouldn't charge. I replaced the alternator, tried several voltage regulators and finally decided to replace the dash harness as it was suggested the dash to firewall connectors might be the issue. So. After many band aids, do-overs and requests for advice. I fired it up tonite. Starts, runs great, all lights, heater, AC, radio work great but the gremlin is still there. Ammete/voltmeter deflects to the left as soon as I turn those features on. Same problem as last fall.
Now what? Anybody?
Thanks in advance.
If you put a volt meter on the alt what is the reading? When gauge is not showing a charge is it at idle or is the rpm up?
Old 04-29-2016, 08:46 PM
Commissioner
Intermediate

The Alternator puts out plenty of volts. The problem seems to be the regulator. Just not getting the voltage out the other side. And several regulators have been tried.
Revving it or at idle it's all the same.

Get notified of new replies

To New dash harness

Quick Reply: New dash harness