C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 - Modification of clutch rod

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:40 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Default 58 - Modification of clutch rod

I have read about every post regarding the poor design of the mounting of the clutch rod to the Z-bar and the only solution that made sense to me was the one that vetrod62 (Jim) came up with.

So, I bit the bullet and cut my clutch rod at the point where I would have the same distance (but some adjustment) with the Heim joint.

I then threaded the rod with at 7/16x20 and installed the summit racing Heim joint which I found from a post by FTF (Frank).
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-msf7
Manufacturer's Part Number: SUM-MSF7

I didn't want to modify the z-bar...so I left the pressed on metal but obviously had to remove the bushing cause the Heim joint is a lot thicker.

I used a 5/8" bolt (total bolt length 2 1/4") with no threads at the head, and this fit nicely into the Heim joint. I took a nut, threaded it on the bolt and then grinded it down to fit inside z-bar to keep the 5/8" bolt from wiggling.
I then removed the nut, put a washer on the bolt, then the grinded down nut (bushing), cinched it down...slide it into the Heim joint, then the z-bar, then another washer then a lock washer, then the nut. Works great.
BTW...when I went to tighten up my original bolt...it snapped and this is what made me go this route.
Attached Images   
Old 04-20-2016, 08:44 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Nice job!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:50 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Should last forever.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:14 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by jusplainwacky
I have read about every post regarding the poor design of the mounting of the clutch rod to the Z-bar and the only solution that made sense to me was the one that vetrod62 (Jim) came up with.

So, I bit the bullet and cut my clutch rod at the point where I would have the same distance (but some adjustment) with the Heim joint.

I then threaded the rod with at 7/16x20 and installed the summit racing Heim joint which I found from a post by FTF (Frank).
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-msf7
Manufacturer's Part Number: SUM-MSF7

I didn't want to modify the z-bar...so I left the pressed on metal but obviously had to remove the bushing cause the Heim joint is a lot thicker.

I used a 5/8" bolt (total bolt length 2 1/4") with no threads at the head, and this fit nicely into the Heim joint. I took a nut, threaded it on the bolt and then grinded it down to fit inside z-bar to keep the 5/8" bolt from wiggling.
I then removed the nut, put a washer on the bolt, then the grinded down nut (bushing), cinched it down...slide it into the Heim joint, then the z-bar, then another washer then a lock washer, then the nut. Works great.
BTW...when I went to tighten up my original bolt...it snapped and this is what made me go this route.
Nice work! I also built a custom pushrod using a Heim joint @ the Z bar end when I installed the T5 in my '66 . . . it works great!

Old 04-20-2016, 09:21 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Tom...I was under the car last night installing that anti-rattle spring...WHAT A PITA!!! I spent a good hour trying to get it on...then once I got it on, I forgot about the leather dust cover...so I took it off. Then I tried to mount the spring so the front end of it would go through the hole from top to bottom on the rod. I think I spent 3 hours on this.
Yours look over the top!
Old 04-20-2016, 11:28 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Good looking work! I went the metal bushing route on my 57, based on FTF's threads, and has been working well. My only concern is that metal bushing in z bar has some play in it (up/down) when all bolted together.

Get notified of new replies

To 58 - Modification of clutch rod

Quick Reply: 58 - Modification of clutch rod