C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Best Fuel Sending Unit ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 01:59 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Best Fuel Sending Unit ?

I may have to replace my sending unit. What brand or vendor sells the most accurate one...as accurate as a corvette part can get....

jack
Old 04-24-2016, 02:56 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

If the broken sender is original have it rebuilt by John Wolf.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:38 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Donald #31176
Agree 100%
Old 04-24-2016, 05:16 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

As much as Jack drives his car...

I don't think he could wait that long for it to be fixed...
Old 04-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
As much as Jack drives his car...

I don't think he could wait that long for it to be fixed...
Yes , time is , well time. I could have the original rebuilt later, but for now....what brand or are they all the same. Summit, Adavance, or corvette vendors?

Jack
Old 04-24-2016, 06:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Jack,
I would just get one form a Corvette parts supplier and install it. You are aware that the sending unit gauge basically goes from 0 ohms to 90 ohms. SO if it is off a little bit is not a big deal...not like you can not go back and look into the gas tank.

I can write this. I recently replaced the fuel tank, sending unit, fuel line on the frame and fuel pump on a 1967 427. The gas tank was the correct stamped fuel tank and it leaked where they weld the two halves together...so it had at least half a tank of fuel in it......so they sent me another. When I pulled out the fuel tank and sending unit....the float rod and float came out of the sending unit and was inside the gas tank. WHICH MADE SENSE due to the notch in the sending unit gauge has a notch in it so it can be installed..and with the fuel tank being half full...that is how the rod worked out and came out. SO...when I went to re-install the sending unit...I took some really fine wire and wired the rod to the plastic arm that DOES have tension clips to hold the rod in place. These clips appeared to be OK...but I was NOT going to take any chances and have to pull the sending unit again for a this problem.

AND I BELIEVE the problem has been corrected...but about 10 years ago I got a new sending unit and installed it on a 1964 convertible and when I looked into the gas tank..the actual float was floating IN the gas half way and was NOT floating on top of it. And when I removed it and weighed it and compared it to the original float...it weighed twice as much. So I installed the actual float and corrected the problem.

NOW....when I get a sending unit...I have a bucket of gas and set the float in it and see if it floats or sinks....and so far...they have been floating.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Jackfit (04-24-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 06:50 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Yes , time is , well time. I could have the original rebuilt later, but for now....what brand or are they all the same. Summit, Adavance, or corvette vendors?

Jack
Just open the rear latch and remove the gas cap and check the level. On a "vert" it is easy to see. Refill when about 1/2 empty. Repeat every 150-200 miles.

Larry
The following users liked this post:
ohiovet (04-26-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 07:20 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit

Jack
Hi Jack,

Here's another source - it's amazing what these guys have:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...ding+unit,4436

I bought a reman'd power steering pump from them last fall - its looks perfect and works even better! Good luck my friend!

Tom
Old 04-24-2016, 07:39 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DUB
Jack,
I would just get one form a Corvette parts supplier and install it. You are aware that the sending unit gauge basically goes from 0 ohms to 90 ohms. SO if it is off a little bit is not a big deal...not like you can not go back and look into the gas tank.

I can write this. I recently replaced the fuel tank, sending unit, fuel line on the frame and fuel pump on a 1967 427. The gas tank was the correct stamped fuel tank and it leaked where they weld the two halves together...so it had at least half a tank of fuel in it......so they sent me another. When I pulled out the fuel tank and sending unit....the float rod and float came out of the sending unit and was inside the gas tank. WHICH MADE SENSE due to the notch in the sending unit gauge has a notch in it so it can be installed..and with the fuel tank being half full...that is how the rod worked out and came out. SO...when I went to re-install the sending unit...I took some really fine wire and wired the rod to the plastic arm that DOES have tension clips to hold the rod in place. These clips appeared to be OK...but I was NOT going to take any chances and have to pull the sending unit again for a this problem.

AND I BELIEVE the problem has been corrected...but about 10 years ago I got a new sending unit and installed it on a 1964 convertible and when I looked into the gas tank..the actual float was floating IN the gas half way and was NOT floating on top of it. And when I removed it and weighed it and compared it to the original float...it weighed twice as much. So I installed the actual float and corrected the problem.

NOW....when I get a sending unit...I have a bucket of gas and set the float in it and see if it floats or sinks....and so far...they have been floating.

DUB
Really where do you think a Corvette vendor sources the sender that a local parts store doesn't. This is a very small market for these parts. How many manufactures have the tooling for it
Old 04-24-2016, 07:48 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Donald #31176
Jack, you got the best advise first. You can buy a replacement which will / may work for a time, but in the long run your original rebuilt is best. Speaking from experience here. John Wolf does an excellent job and can also explain to you why all the reproduction units currently available WILL fail even if they don't leak. Ask me how I know. Pilot Dan

Last edited by Pilot Dan; 04-24-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:16 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Jack, you got the best advise first. You can buy a replacement which will / may work for a time, but in the long run your original rebuilt is best. Speaking from experience here. John Wolf does an excellent job and can also explain to you why all the reproduction units currently available WILL fail even if they don't leak. Ask me how I know. Pilot Dan
Wonder if he can explain why the one he did for my dad dosent work
Old 04-24-2016, 10:22 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Wonder if he can explain why the one he did for my dad dosent work
He does stand behind his work, are you saying he refused to fix a problem you made him aware of?? Sorry I gotta doubt that based on my experience with him.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:58 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Austin
Hi Jack,

Here's another source - it's amazing what these guys have:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...ding+unit,4436

I bought a reman'd power steering pump from them last fall - its looks perfect and works even better! Good luck my friend!

Tom
And they have the best prices around with great customer service too!
Old 04-25-2016, 02:09 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

with DUB. Buy it from a corvette vendor then do the ohms and float test prior to installation.

The only other thing I can add is that after I installed an aftermarket sender on my car I found that it was very inaccurate and yes, I did the above tests. The gauge always showed WAY less fuel than was actually in the tank, like almost half a tank MORE!

Better that, than the other way around but, it bothered me. So I removed it and bent the float rod downward about an inch. Now instead of almost a half a tank off it shows that I have about an eighth to a quarter more fuel than I actually have (wish I would have bent it a little more) but, close enough.

Gary
Old 04-25-2016, 04:42 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,033 Likes on 1,250 Posts

I went thru the fuel-sender search several years ago for my 67. Two units from Zip were very inaccurate, reading much lower than the gas level in the tank. Several people said to buy a unit from Fargo, so I did, but it reads the same as the two Zip units. I wish I had saved my original fuel sender unit and had it rebuilt. When I fill the tank to absolutely full and drive 25 or 30 miles the dash gauge reads half empty. When the dash gauge reads Empty I have 8-10 gallons left. Just have to live with it.

Last edited by LouieM; 04-26-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:49 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
with DUB. Buy it from a corvette vendor then do the ohms and float test prior to installation.

The only other thing I can add is that after I installed an aftermarket sender on my car I found that it was very inaccurate and yes, I did the above tests. The gauge always showed WAY less fuel than was actually in the tank, like almost half a tank MORE!

Better that, than the other way around but, it bothered me. So I removed it and bent the float rod downward about an inch. Now instead of almost a half a tank off it shows that I have about an eighth to a quarter more fuel than I actually have (wish I would have bent it a little more) but, close enough.

Gary
So what source did the Corvette vender buy there unit to sell you. And that same brand can't be bought at a parts store.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:53 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 594 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

i just did mine bought through rock auto

Get notified of new replies

To Best Fuel Sending Unit ?

Old 04-25-2016, 06:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I do not even attempt to try to keep track of who makes what any longer. It is pointless. With many companies allowing the 'bean counters' to get involved in making them more money...so it is a guessing game when and IF things change.

I know of those parts that I have had problems with and found that sometimes there is more than one manufacturer....and I switch to them and hope for the best. But I DO KNOW that some companies...for example...offer the vacuum headlight/wiper door actuator relay. SOME of them are total CRAP...while others are really good. So...for me..I have certain companies that I trust...and others that I have to hold my breath and hope for the best because that is all there is out there.

So...me trying to call around and find who buys what from who... and who makes it... is a waste of my time UNLESS I get burned by it.

As for this sending unit discussion.....I would get them from my Corvette vendor...and not even try to get them from a local auto parts house....because in many cases.....they charge more...or I have to wait days for it to come in.

But to each his/her own...get it from where ever you choose....or send it out for rebuilding.

AND YES...I also have had to 'dial-in' a sending unit to get it to read correctly...even though the sending unit range is correct...the arm may need to be bent to read correctly when the tank is in the car...and this 'dialing-in' can be done so I can let the customer know that when the needle is on 'E"...they have 'X' amount of fuel left in the tank.....because I also do this on the Corvettes that have the "LOW FUEL" light....where there is a specific amount of fuel in the tank when the LOW FUEL light begins to glow.

DUB
Old 04-25-2016, 06:53 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
So what source did the Corvette vender buy there unit to sell you. And that same brand can't be bought at a parts store.
Neither I nor DUB didn't say that it COULDN'T be had at a parts store. As far as I'm concerned they're ALL a crap shoot whomever they're purchased from.

I think that the MAIN point DUB (and I) were trying to make is that, whomever or wherever they're purchased from, they need to be scrutinized before installation and, even then such as in my case, be removed, adjusted and re-installed.

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 04-25-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:00 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
I nor DUB didn't say that it COULDN'T be had at a parts store. As far as I'm concerned they're ALL a crap shoot whomever they're purchased from.

I think that the MAIN point DUB (and I) were trying to make is that wherever or whomever they're purchased they need to be scrutinized before installation and, even then, such as in my case, be removed, adjusted and re-installed.

Gary
My point there seems to be a myth on here that every single part on a classic Corvette MUST be bought via a Corvette only vendor or anther mail order vender. Most of the common parts sold by Corvette vendors are bought though the same soruce as a parts store. So your not getting anything more special.

Quick Reply: Best Fuel Sending Unit ?