C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

O/T Social Security changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 01:33 AM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

What's a pension? Never heard of that!
Old 04-27-2016, 01:45 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

My law enforcement pension meant I stopped making SS payments when I went into the academy...

So I have no SS strategy to speak of.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:35 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by ghostrider20
What's a pension? Never heard of that!
it's that $142.51 a month that I get for the rest of my life....
Bill
Old 04-27-2016, 10:55 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
My law enforcement pension meant I stopped making SS payments when I went into the academy...

So I have no SS strategy to speak of.
You are fortunate that your agency chose to get out of SS when federal law still allowed that option for state and local government agencies who could show they had an equal or better retirement pension program.

The reason is that SS rules contain a little known "Government pension offset" (ie - penalty) that requires a calculation of 2/3 of a state or local government pension being deducted from what your SS payment would have been.

So if one would have been eligible for the max current SS payment of $2639, a government pension of $3938/mo or $47,265/yr would result in NO SS payment, even after having paid in the maximum for 35 years.

Just another way for the Feds to "redistribute" money.....................

Yeah - no SS strategy required in such cases.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 04-27-2016 at 11:04 AM. Reason: paid, not payed - duh!
Old 04-27-2016, 10:59 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
You are fortunate that your agency chose to get out of SS when federal law still allowed that option for state and local government agencies who could show they had an equal or better retirement pension program.

The reason is that SS rules contain a little known "Government pension offset" (ie - penalty) that requires a calculation of 2/3 of a state or local government pension being deducted from what your SS payment would have been.

So if one would have been eligible for the max current SS payment of $2639, a government pension of $3938/mo or $47,265/yr would result in NO SS payment, even after having payed in the maximum for 35 years.

Just another way for the Feds to "redistribute" money.....................

Yeah - no SS strategy required in such cases.
Same for Fed gov't retirees under the OLD pension system. I only made out because I worked so many years outside the gov't as well and paid into SS...
Old 04-27-2016, 11:01 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

So, do government workers, railroaders and others that didn't pay in to SS have access to Medicare? Do they have to have private insurance or obamacare?

Just curious.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:11 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeM
So, do government workers, railroaders and others that didn't pay in to SS have access to Medicare? Do they have to have private insurance or obamacare?

Just curious.
Some do, some don't. Depends on how the individual agency program was set up. Some were in Medicare but not SS.

I know folks who have neither SS nor Medicare. The lucky ones have lifetime medical as a retirement benefit in return for their agency not being in the programs. Remember that the agencies saved the current 8% of payroll also.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by MikeM

Just curious.
As far as Feds Mike, they do pay into medicare but not SS...under the OLD system.

I'll be on Medicare next month....I still pay for Part B though..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-27-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:24 AM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Wait, how many years / Quarters do you have to pay in to get SS min benifits? Is it 40 qtrs?

Is SS based off the highest salary off certain years worked? Amount paid in ?
Old 04-27-2016, 11:34 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I retired two years ago at age 59 after 40 years in the New York Police & Fire Retirement System. There are several "Tiers" of that system - I was Tier 1 (actually the last one in my city). Retiring as Deputy Chief of Operations, I have very good pension and medical benefits. My wife worked 41 years at one of the four large local hospitals, retiring the same year I did as their Director of Educational Services. She also receives a pension. Being 3 years older then me, she started receiving Social Security at age 62 three years ago. I will start receiving it this year. Our financial advisor has set up a very conservative but so far very effective plan for an investment portfolio to see us through. The moral of the story is that everyone's needs and circumstances are different, and as others have said, you need to run the numbers with a professional to see what will work best for you. There is no "one size fits all" retirement strategy. Take a hard look at yourself, your lifestyle, your health history, and your assets - and formulate a realistic plan. It's pretty late in the game to start now - the wife and I started retirement planning and investments over 40 years ago - but better late than never. Good luck, and get started!
Old 04-27-2016, 11:35 AM
decarmine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
<SNIP> One individual said I should help him out because I've been 'luckier' than him. Lucky ? LUCKY ?

He's the only one that left empty handed...
I've always said the harder I worked, the luckier I got...
Old 04-27-2016, 11:38 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Wait, how many years / Quarters do you have to pay in to get SS min benifits? Is it 40 qtrs?

Is SS based off the highest salary off certain years worked? Amount paid in ?
Yup, 40 quarters for the minimum.

Final amount is based on how many quarters - 35 years max - and whether one paid in up to the max each year. That used to be $80k/yr salary, but I'm not sure what it is now.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:41 AM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

So for you govt guys that did not pay into SS, is the scam to get a private sector job for 5 years then pull SS benifits as well?
Old 04-27-2016, 11:45 AM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Yup, 40 quarters for the minimum.

Final amount is based on how many quarters - 35 years max - and whether one paid in up to the max each year. That used to be $80k/yr salary, but I'm not sure what it is now.

So in the govt world, can you start getting your pension benifits after your 20 years of service?
Old 04-27-2016, 11:47 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fyreline
I retired two years ago at age 59 after 40 years in the New York Police & Fire Retirement System. There are several "Tiers" of that system - I was Tier 1 (actually the last one in my city). Retiring as Deputy Chief of Operations, I have very good pension and medical benefits. My wife worked 41 years at one of the four large local hospitals, retiring the same year I did as their Director of Educational Services. She also receives a pension. Being 3 years older then me, she started receiving Social Security at age 62 three years ago. I will start receiving it this year. Our financial advisor has set up a very conservative but so far very effective plan for an investment portfolio to see us through. The moral of the story is that everyone's needs and circumstances are different, and as others have said, you need to run the numbers with a professional to see what will work best for you. There is no "one size fits all" retirement strategy. Take a hard look at yourself, your lifestyle, your health history, and your assets - and formulate a realistic plan. It's pretty late in the game to start now - the wife and I started retirement planning and investments over 40 years ago - but better late than never. Good luck, and get started!
How does your agency/you avoid the "Government pension offset" from SS? Are you sure it wouldn't affect you?
Old 04-27-2016, 12:00 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

So in the govt world, can you start getting your pension benifits after your 20 years of service?
There is no one answer to that question. It's usually a combination of both a minimum years of service and age.

In the military for example IIRC its 20 years at age 50. So even if you start at age 20 and leave at age 45 with 25 years of service you can't draw until age 50.

Local government varies all over the board. Many belong to state systems. One local agency here abouts has its own system, requiring a minimum of 5 years of service and retirement eligibility beginning at age 55 or 30 years of service, whichever comes sooner, at a fixed % per year of service.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 04-27-2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-27-2016, 12:19 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

For the Feds; unless you take an 'early out'...the full retirement age is 55 with 30 years of service UNLESS you are law enforcement (FBI, DEA, etc) or FAA....they can retire at 50 but IIRC they pay 1% more into their retirement fund each year....

That will get you 56% of your pay based on the highest 3 years' salary while employed. The 'new' system is basically a glorified 401K plan -- the TSP; Thrift Savings Plan. I will have to say the outfit that runs that is one of the most competent bunch of Feds around. If you invested in the right choice of funds - the returns are very significant.

You don't get a 'free pass' on SS either....still need 40 quarters and yes, you get docked very severely if you draw the old gov't pension. However, the more years you work OUTSIDE the gov't the less the 'hit'. (Which is what I did)...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-27-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To O/T Social Security changes

Old 04-27-2016, 12:38 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

How does your agency/you avoid the "Government pension offset" from SS? Are you sure it wouldn't affect you?
I should have clarified - I have, in fact, paid into Social Security all along. We had the option early on not to do so, but few actually selected that option. There is no offset for me or my wife.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:53 PM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

in the steel industry all it takes for a union employee to get a good pension is to work a lot of overtime in your last 10 years. pensions are calculated by your best 60 consecutive months of your last 10 years. the result can be a pension of over four times the base pension. no need for a investment planner if your willing to work the extra hours. on top of that you still get social security benefits.

Last edited by scopeli; 04-27-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:43 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

So for you govt guys that did not pay into SS, is the scam to get a private sector job for 5 years then pull SS benifits as well?
Depends where you worked. No scam necessary in our agency, as after X years we got 80%, so the offset, even though some of us had enough previous years of SS payments, would likely keep any additional SS checks in the future at a minimum.

No SS payments were nice, but sworn officers were paying close to 12% in pension payments while nonsworn people paid 4%. After retirement that 12 % payment going away is a nice bonus.

Quick Reply: O/T Social Security changes