C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'61 4 speed shifter levers - correct position?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 11:40 AM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

Default '61 4 speed shifter levers - correct position?

Last year I solved my getting locked into reverse problem with a lot of cleaning and some lubrication so this isn't the same problem. After sitting on the lift for about 6 months I went to back it up and it won't move. Basically the transmission seems to be locked into a gear and won't come out. This pic is where the levers are located with the transmission in neutral and they also seem to reasonably match other pictures I've seen. The clutch disc is not frozen as I checked all three areas with a very thin putty knife with the clutch depressed.

Thoughts?
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2016, 12:03 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Do you have neutral? Do you have a forward?

Are the brakes stuck?

http://www.socalsacc.com/Trans%20Shifter%20Refurb.htm

This transmission appears to be in nuetral according to the alignment notches in the shift. Doesn't look quite like yours.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...59t10trans.jpg

Last edited by MikeM; 04-26-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:27 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

What I forgot to type was that with the engine running it won't shift into any forward gear even with the clutch depressed (will shift when not running) and trying to shift into reverse only generates a "bad sounding" grinding noise. In neutral without the engine running and the clutch not depressed I can readily turn the rear wheels by hand in either direction(obviously off the lift ramp).

And the gorgeous transmission picture is one that I referenced before I posted.

Last edited by johngammel; 04-26-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:41 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

[QUOTE=johngammel;1592082706

.... and trying to shift into reverse only generates a "bad sounding" grinding noise. [/QUOTE]

That means the transmission input shaft is turning for some reason. Something is sticking the input shaft and making it turn.

With the engine off, put the transmission in 4th, hold the clutch in and tap the starter and see what happens.

Do this after all necessary precautions to keep the car from lurching forward in case the engine starts.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:42 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Yes. When I looked at the clutch I only checked the front and "assumed" that the back of the clutch was OK. After more thought realized I needed to check that was well. Used a very thin metal flat bladed tool and sure enough - I had to persuade the clutch disc free. Didn't take much. So now I have the '88 on the lift and can continue to get ready for flight judging at Crystal River next month.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments.

Get notified of new replies

To '61 4 speed shifter levers - correct position?

Quick Reply: '61 4 speed shifter levers - correct position?