C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Where are the LT1 (C7) restomod builds?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:57 AM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Where are the LT1 (C7) restomod builds?

The LT1 engine has been available approximately 2 years, and yet I've only seen a couple of restomod builds using it, including one that was built by GM to market it.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/1...ette-stingray/

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2015/...-indy-auction/

Lots of high dollar restomods are being built, and they mostly all have the LS3. A new crate and controller for the LT1 is about $3k more than the LS3, but that is a drop in the bucket for some of these builds, which are generally premised on having the latest and greatest drivetrains. They are available in both wet sump and dry sump configurations. What gives? Would a LT1 install be that much more difficult than a LS3 install?
Old 04-28-2016, 09:01 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
The LT1 engine has been available approximately 2 years, and yet I've only seen a couple of restomod builds using it, including one that was built by GM to market it.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/1...ette-stingray/

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2015/...-indy-auction/

Lots of high dollar restomods are being built, and they mostly all have the LS3. A new crate and controller for the LT1 is about $3k more than the LS3, but that is a drop in the bucket for some of these builds, which are generally premised on having the latest and greatest drivetrains. They are available in both wet sump and dry sump configurations. What gives? Would a LT1 install be that much more difficult than a LS3 install?
The LS3 is easier to modify and that may be why. If you want a LT1 restomod I would be happy to drop one in what ever you have.
Justin
Old 04-28-2016, 10:16 AM
TNVettGuy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

I was contemplating the LT1 for my build and I agree with Justin. The LS3 has so many extras that the cost to replicate with an LT1 would far surpass the $3k difference in engines. I ended going with the LS3 480 HP. It is still considered a 'latest technology' engine but not an LSA or LT1.

Honestly, if I had a spare few hundred thousand laying around and was buying a restomod, I would look more at the craftsmanship of the build (body, interior, engine bay etc). I would not say 'oh, this only has an LS3, I really wanted an LT1. Kind of like buying a house with a pool. Not a deal breaker but a nice perk. I think there are more people buying with this thinking (my opinion). Now I would, however, buy an LS3 or LT1 vs a carbureted 350 from 1965.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:57 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

so far, i do not see the new lt1 as a far better engine than the ls3. jmho jim
Old 04-28-2016, 10:00 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The LT1 came to being by increasing the emissions/fuel economy requirements....it's increased costs aren't worth it over the LS3 motor. The LS3 is more easily modified and cheaper!
Old 04-29-2016, 02:42 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
The LT1 came to being by increasing the emissions/fuel economy requirements....it's increased costs aren't worth it over the LS3 motor. The LS3 is more easily modified and cheaper!
The LT1's are having teething problems that blow the engine, just as LS3/7s early on.

I like the idea of Direct Injection, but that's the only real upgrade. Haven't followed it's development, but if there was no improvement to intake an exhaust air flow as with the LS7 and L3, not worth the difference.

I'll wait for the High Reving V6's as I just know I'll make use of those higher RPM they will have with more room in engine bay to boot....LOL

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 04-29-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:16 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The LT1 and other direct injected engines are having real problems with valve coking issues. Do a search in the C7 forum or just google valve coking and you will find all the manufacturers are dealing with this problem. From what I have seen there doesn't appear to be an easy fix. There are videos showing intake manifold removal and blasting the intake valves with walnut shells. It's not a cheap fix.

If I was building a restomod I would go with an LS3. This is a proven engine offered in 3 hp versions.

Last edited by MarkC; 04-29-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:45 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkC
The LT1 and other direct injected engines are having real problems with valve coking issues. Do a search in the C7 forum or just google valve coking and you will find all the manufacturers are dealing with this problem. From what I have seen there doesn't appear to be an easy fix. There are videos showing intake manifold removal and blasting the intake valves with walnut shells. It's not a cheap fix.

If I was building a restomod I would go with an LS3. This is a proven engine offered in 3 hp versions.
This coking problem is the reason I will not presently consider buying any vehicle (C7 or otherwise) that has a DI engine. And it's the reason I would not even consider the LT1 for a resto-mod. The LS3 can be made to perform at nearly any desired level, with great driveability and good fuel economy. and at a sane price. Why add valve coking issues that simply aren't necessary?

Live well,

SJW
Old 04-29-2016, 09:31 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Has the aftermarket caught up with the LS in terms of alternate oil pans and front drive accessories?

The LSA transplants are becoming quite common these days.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:19 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Has the aftermarket caught up with the LS in terms of alternate oil pans and front drive accessories?

The LSA transplants are becoming quite common these days.
If you need a shallow oil pan as C2 does, all you need to do is order the correct GM part numbers that have the corvette pan installed on them. Did this with both 430HP & 480HP engine in 2 of my cars. 3rd is LS7 which has shallow dry sump pan. Lot cheaper than having to modify the deep pan part numbered engines.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:08 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

I'm contemplating using the LT1 in my '59. Aftermarket parts to make it all work have recently been made available such as fuel pump system, accessory drive with Power steering and A/C up high, motor mounts, headers, and some top side intake manifold and valve covers. Up until this stuff was readily available off the shelf, the few restomods you have seen had a lot of figuring out to do on them to source these components.

The LT1 is the "latest and greatest" which trumps all logic regarding horse power vs. $$. This with the lower end torque are advantages of the LT1, but will cost you ~$5K+ more than a 480 HP LS3. The cylinder cut out system is disabled on the crate LT1, so no fuel savings there.

Decisions, Decisions....
Old 05-01-2016, 09:27 AM
dudman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm envious of you gentlemen that have the skill set to build these restomods. It challenged all my ability and patience just to change out my rear spring and strut rods. I was fortunate to meet Poorhousenext last year at fall corvette expo and loved his car and new build he is working on. I really enjoy reading about your builds.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:48 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MarkC
The LT1 and other direct injected engines are having real problems with valve coking issues..

The "real problem" is too many **** obsessive compulsive people who see pictures of some crud on a valve and freak out and start long useless threads on car forums.

Have you ever looked at intake valves on carburetted or port injected motors? Even ones that use top tier gas?

They are FAR filthier, with more buildup than you get from some oil pullover on a DI engine after the same amount of miles. If some one still isn't convinced, put a secondary catch can on the PCV line to the intake to ease teh worry..

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Where are the LT1 (C7) restomod builds?

Quick Reply: Where are the LT1 (C7) restomod builds?